April 30, 2024, 04:56:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: American Graffiti - Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 23:15 - Film 4  (Read 2277 times)
Tony oily bike

« on: October 03, 2013, 06:14:57 PM »

A 'must see' if you're into rods, music etc  Cool........ set in 1962, and directed by George Lucas. Most will recognise Ron (Howie Cunningham) Howard, along with Richard Dreyfuss, but look out for a young Harrison Ford as Bob Falfa.
Wolfman Jack, as himself, spins some of the discs.

When Lucas was directing the film, he'd do loads and loads of takes so he'd get a particular flavour that had a real human touch to it.
The producer was non other than Francis Ford Coppola
In the early sequence where Curt (Richard Dreyfuss) parks the scooter (my ERROR - as pointed out by Phunky in later post. It was Terry the Toad), Lucas keeps the take where it kinda goes less smoothly than it could have, for effect.
Another instance is where Terry the Toad is waiting for the guy to get him some booze, Lucas did loads of takes where the bottle was easily caught, but used the one where the bottle was nearly dropped.

The water bomb sequence was designed to be a lower-level hit, but he kept the take as Mackenzie Phillips shock an laughter made the scene that much better.

There are loads of stories relating to the black '55 (Two Lane Black Top)...................

Last, but not least, the soundtrack, check the link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/41_Original_Hits_from_the_Soundtrack_of_American_Graffiti

And here's some Manky chat from a while ago Cool
http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6262.0
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:40:26 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Baychimp

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:37:23 PM »

Remember seeing this at the Cinema,big screen and loud stereo sound. Also saw Two lane blacktop.And does any one remember Vanishing Point with the Dodge Challenger tearing around America.
poprodder

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 06:40:18 PM »

got it on vhs, not seen it in years.

Baychimp

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 06:44:24 PM »

You should dust it off and covert it to DVD. Recycled and re-watchable. Grin
phunkie hiboy

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 07:18:48 PM »

Last time we were in the states, we went and stayed in Petaluma for a few days. This was were American Graffiti was filmed. Had a good old wander round and a lot of the back drops are still there, some have changed. Jerrys Cherries is still there. Oh, and Tony it was "Toad", Charles Martin Smith, that drove the Vespa into the vending machine.
Lucas's ranch isn't far from here, at San Rafael. Buddy of mine works for him at Industrial Light and Magic, but I've never been able to persuade him to introduce me to George!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:24:13 PM by phunkie hiboy » Logged

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:37:11 PM »

Last time we were in the states, we went and stayed in Petaluma for a few days. This was were American Graffiti was filmed. Had a good old wander round and a lot of the back drops are still there, some have changed. Jerrys Cherries is still there. Oh, and Tony it was "Toad", Charles Martin Smith, that drove the Vespa into the vending machine.
Lucas's ranch isn't far from here, at San Rafael. Buddy of mine works for him at Industrial Light and Magic, but I've never been able to persuade him to introduce me to George!!
Quite right, have no idea why I said otherwise!!!! (blame it on age!).
Dreyfuss had a 2CV...........

another MMM link  http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/movie/reviews.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:43:44 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

klogan45

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 07:24:53 PM »

What a brill film. Got it on dvd. Love it . Excellent sound track not a laugh a minute but some great comedy in there.
Anyone like the boat that rocked. I remember listening to pirate radio on my transistor in bed mainly, when i was a kid. I was terrified that i would get caught when it was made illegal to listen to pirate radio....... Still listened anyway. Ho hum, those were the days eh. You could go out with sixpence, etc etc etc. Grin

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
Tony oily bike

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 03:59:58 PM »

Bump............

Friday evening

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: