April 29, 2024, 04:28:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: adaptor for new temp sender  (Read 2385 times)
ROD

« on: July 25, 2013, 07:41:06 AM »

Thought I would share this,cos it may help someone out of trouble(it did me anyway Grin).....
  The sender for my new temp gauge was a very slim nptf summat or other. The orig sender was a larger heavier thread (fifer knows!)Anyways.I tried to buy an adaptor to get the new sender into the block...no luck,and in any case this would have meant the end of the new sender would sit within the adaptor,not in the water flow. So what I did was broke out/drilled out the old sender internals to leave the steel outer collar with thread on outside that fits the block. I then tapped the hole in the centre 10mm. The new sender with nptf thread,I run a 10 mm die down it to re thread it,(its brass and easy to re thread,but be careful) Old sender collar goes into block,new sender threads into this.I also cut a little off each end of the old sender collar to allow the new sender more protrusion into the water flow.I then used a dowty(sp?) washer under the new sender to get a good seal.
merv

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 08:03:43 AM »

What a clever little trick ,that's worth knowing

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
steve brock

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:27:48 AM »

I just bought http://bit.ly/171r9CZ
Is that the one you bought?

Steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with..
ROD

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 09:48:54 AM »

No,the ones I got didnt work as wrong thread. I think you'll find that the one youve got may be too deep,putting the sender in the actuall adaptor.. Thats why I cut mine down to give more protrusion into the water flow.
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 08:15:28 PM »

maybe rod will be kind enough to let us know the make/model of his sender and where its obtainable from? Smiley

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
steve brock

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 04:26:15 PM »

I knew I'd follow in your shoes!
http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t466/steveatthemorgue/reliant%20trike/null_zpsf71fd6ed.jpg
adaptor for new temp sender

So the sender is flush I'm guessing it will measure the block temperature more than the water temp ?

Steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: