March 28, 2024, 08:42:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1928 model A Ford  (Read 3649 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: December 18, 2012, 10:37:18 PM »

I called in at a local supermarket in Basingstoke, Hampshire this afternoon, on my way to Loony's worksop. Found this in the carpark.
While I was grabbing a photo, the owner emerged. Turned out to be Ken, a local car dealer. It's his daily runabout. It's 84 years old!
A 1928 model A Ford. Built in America for the South African market, so it's right hand drive. It was brought over to Britain in 1998. Apparently the Quail on the radiator cap signifies it's a slightly higher spec one than the standard model.
Although it looks like a convertible, it's actually a hardtop, (the "hood" doesn't fold down). Proper convertibles doen't have window frames on the doors he told me. The hood hoops act as a sort of roll cage.
The boot -sorry, trunk, is actually a "rumble seat" -the bootlid opens to form the upholstered seat back with the base inside. There's a cast aluminuim step on the left rear mudguard to clamber up into it.
The filler cap in front of the windscreen is for the fuel -the tank forms the bulkhead between engine & cab.
I love seeing Classics being driven as normal cars. This must be interesting in the cut & thrust of the Basingstoke rush hour!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:44:14 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 10:37:54 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:38:20 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:38:51 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 10:39:20 PM »

panthershaun

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »

superb, there are 2 Model A's for sale in a garage near me, well 1 is an A the other is a built under license from ford copy.. a Marmot!!!

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Chevy Rick

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »

I've known about that model A for a while, first met Ken and his two boys at Kempton Bike Jumble the lads are keen bikers. Have been looking to buy a model A for a while so Ken took it along to the Newbury Classic Car event, it drew a lot of attention from the crowd. One problem with it you can't use the drivers door as it fouls the spare wheel, you would have to have the build of a runner bean to slide in and out, Ken is of slight build and has to use the passenger door, other than that a nice motor for its age.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 08:24:23 PM »

Grin A bit of a design flaw then! I couldn't figure out how the spare wheel was actually held in place.

Olds

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 08:36:32 AM »

Lovely looking car. When the MOT first came in my family buried a model A, 2 door sedan, at the end of the garden  Shocked. Scrap yards were so full you had to pay them to take it even if you drove it there Huh Was nothing really wrong with it, just couldn't pass, probably on brakes.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: