March 28, 2024, 08:45:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 48
  Print  
Author Topic: Deliverance  (Read 237479 times)
Olds

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 08:05:51 AM »

Gear change close ups

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
dave 67

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 08:07:55 AM »

Normal Reliant reverse position is lift the lever, then across to either the left or the right, & back. On some boxes it's to the left & others to the right, though I don't know why they changed. You can tell which you've got though -if you look down on the gearbox from above, there's a bump in the side of the casing below the stick. If it's on the left of the box, your gearstick goes to the right to engage reverse. If it's on the right, it goes to the left. Might determine the shape of your gearstick as it'll need to clear the frame etc whe you select reverse.

Arrrrrr thanks haven't got that far yet but handy to know ta

never to old to learn
dave 67

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2012, 08:11:47 AM »

Short lever's to engage reverse.

Cheers andy so how do you engage reverse then is it a push down or lift up I've never driven a reliant it's my first so looking at options on what I can do
On a normal Reliant box you lift up. On this one as MM said it has a seperate reverse lever so neither.

So you push down on the short leaver to force the gear stick up to put in reverse cleaver is ita rod in the stainless shower hose to and from the leaver to the box sorry for all the questions but it does look good

never to old to learn
Olds

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 08:35:01 AM »

Short lever's to engage reverse.

Cheers andy so how do you engage reverse then is it a push down or lift up I've never driven a reliant it's my first so looking at options on what I can do
On a normal Reliant box you lift up. On this one as MM said it has a seperate reverse lever so neither.

So you push down on the short leaver to force the gear stick up to put in reverse cleaver is ita rod in the stainless shower hose to and from the leaver to the box sorry for all the questions but it does look good
No and yes.
No the short lever is totaly seperate from the main lever, has its own selector. You just move it towards the rear to select reverse.
Yes there is an 8mm dia rod inside the shower hose. this was added because the rod needs to be well greased as it slides in the centre rosejoint.
You could use large cable boots either side but this works well and matches starter cable cover.

triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 01:49:55 PM »

Mite need a tech article written on this.
Then pin it at the top with the brake mod

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 09:06:31 PM »

Took me a while to get my head around it -& I've seen it.
Tell 'em about the ball joint thingy that allows you to move the stick from side to side as well as back & forth Dave.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 09:57:41 PM »

The pivot shaft (the shiny bit with a nut on it) allows fore and aft movement, the gearlever is attached to the end of the pivot shaft by a cross pin, allowing side to side movement of the lever. A compression spring (in the photos bit of rubber hose but this has now been changed) between the mount and the fixing nut keeps the lever tight against the mount, and the linkages in the 3rd-4th plane, pushing the lever toward the tank pulls the pivot shaft out against the spring allowing the bottom of the lever to move outwards and causes the connecting rod to pivot in the centre rose joint moving whats left of the original gear lever to the left, 1st and 2nd. This means std H gate gear change pattern except 1st and 3rd are at the bottom and 2nd and 4th are at the top.

Olds

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 10:03:38 PM »

insitu

Olds

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2012, 03:49:27 PM »

Latest little job done, out of hundreds left to do, alternator fan guard. Hope it's enough to keep Mr MSVA happy  Undecided

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:59:24 PM by Old Newbie » Logged

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »

It's very pretty!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Olds

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 11:00:31 PM »

Thank you kind lady.
Despite being, as my wife would say "a mere male" I can sometimes do delicate or pretty Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2012, 11:03:20 PM »

Nicely done Dave.
Bearing in mind the MSVA registration test is done with the rider sat on the trike, & they test for external projections with a large foam roller rolled down the side of the vehicle, I wonder if the fan belt needs a shroud?
On my own trike the bottom radiator hose curved around to form a sort of natural guard around the front of the alternator. Would that be enough to satisfy the testers? 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:17:11 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

dave 67

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2012, 11:59:57 PM »

Nicely done Dave. I'd like to see that in place.
Bearing in mind the MSVA registration test is done with the rider sat on the trike, & they test for external projections with a large foam roller rolled down the side of the vehicle, I wonder if the fan belt needs a shroud?
On my own trike the bottom radiator hose curved around to form a sort of natural guard around the front of the alternator. Would that be enough to satisfy the testers?  
[/quot

Are serious about that andy or are you kidding

never to old to learn
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 12:20:41 AM »

About the foam roller? No, that's what they do. It's jokingly called the kebab -a big cylinder of foam on a wheeled stand, like a carwash roller. Yes, they test the trike with you sat on it -so stick your knees & elbows out & wear the biggest boots you've got. They roll it down both sides, but not across the back for some reason. Anything it touches must have a radiused edge.

thebigdogsix

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 06:08:59 AM »

im with Andy on this with the exception that the rollers were steel (when mine was tested) at no point did the examiner ask or even mention a guard for the alternator but i will say nice work on that guard O N really neat and tidy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 48
  Print  

Jump to: