April 29, 2024, 08:39:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: 21st Basingstoke Festival of Transport 13th May 2012  (Read 81586 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: December 30, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »

Yup, it's come round again. 
If youre a regular here, you'll know we have a bit of a forum get-together every Spring by taking a pitch at the Basingstoke Festival of Transport.
As the name suggests, it's a one day show, with around 900 machines covering all aspects of motorised transport, from vintage lorries to buses, to traction engines to motorcycles to cars -plus a bunch of Monkeys with weird home-made stuff ...that's us.
We've been doing this for 5 or 6 years now & every time we say next year, we're gonna get organised. Strangely, it hasn't happened yet.
Jointly organised by the Basingstoke Borough Council & the Thornycroft Vehicle Preservation Society, the Festival's held in Basingstoke's War Memorial Park, which covers 2 large fields, 5 minutes walk from the town centre. Our pitch is in the club display section.
Nothing too strenuous -we just turn up with a borrowed marquee, spend half the morning trying to put it up, arrange our disorganised rabble, interesting & eclectic mix, of vehicles, then sit around munching donuts & making the place look untidy.
The entry form arrived in the post this morning & needs to be returned by the 1st of April '12. At some point we'll start a list of interested forumers, but for now, this is just a heads up to let you know the date.
We usually average a couple of dozen assorted bikes, trikes & cars & always try to present as varied a mix as we can. Past experience has shown that the general public are just as interested, if not more so, in unfinished projects as they are in shiney concourse condition vehicles. It's a chance for them to see the "behind the scenes" bit of custom building. Obviously, you'll need to make your own arrangements for getting your machine to & from the show. Entry's free, but we need to tell the organisers how many vehicle passes we need.
Basingstoke is in Hampshire, about 30 miles from London, on junction 6 of the M3. The show usually runs from around 11am to 5pm on a Sunday.
I'd like to display our vehicles in a more organised way, without compromising the friendly welcome we've become known for. So if you've got any ideas, get in touch please. It'd be great to see you there.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:12:54 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 06:58:40 PM »

I hope to be there on the Trike.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
spanners

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 08:14:23 PM »

GOD   NOT AGAIN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its tooo early ------------------------- === i aint ready yet ;;;;

well come to it i wasn,t last year ,,,,,,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 11:13:57 PM »

Dont worry Mike -I haven't arrived with a finished vehicle yet!

Tony oily bike

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 07:17:47 AM »

Will put it in the diary.

2011 was my first visit, and only knew Manky, so went round and say hello to all the other Monkeys, and what a great bunch of people you are!!  Grin

The show it self is impressive with sooooo many vehicles on display, and covering such a wide spectrum from steam wagons, trucks, buses, cars, bikes, stock, restored and custom. It takes ages to walk round and see it all.

I'd definitely recommend it if you haven't been before........

Here's the 2011 thread, go to page 9 onwards for some photos.
http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8855.120
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 02:40:49 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Clive

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 08:39:03 AM »

Bugger!! won't be there this year, as we're on holiday! Sad Sad

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 09:21:46 AM »

i;m gonna hafta plan a holiday to get there!

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
bigdarren

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 11:12:40 AM »

i guess i'll show up again  Grin

if you cant fix it with gaffa tape or cable ties then its broken
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 02:29:46 PM »

Ben, if you turn up on the day you'll definitely be in with a chance of the long distance trophy!

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »

I'll be there!  I really love that show and meeting all the Mankys!

My trike is neither shiny concourse condition nor an unfinished project - it's a representative of the "I don't polish it, just use it! " class!

It's a bit difficult to organise the display when you never know till the last minute what's going to be there, but how about having a couple of bits of tape (or rope or whatvere better idea anyone has) on the ground, from the sides of the marquee to the front of the site, park vehicles (prolly in no particular order) facing inwards, your posh signs at the front ends of the tape, the Manky Mobile in pride of place in front center, and any extra vehicles dotted about the centre as they arrive?

Bit like this.....

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
spanners

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 09:39:16 PM »

bl##dy ell  a plan  monkeys can never follow a plan  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

cant even put up a ,,gazzeebo,,,,, Grin Grin

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 09:40:32 PM »

Ah well they lost the plan for that..........  or the plot.........

Grin Grin Grin

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 10:06:04 PM »

Lost the plot? I think we've lost the whole allotment.  Tongue
You realise if you show signs of being organised, you're gonna get the job Bobbi?!

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 10:44:06 PM »

That would be no good, I don't get there early enough (and actually can't guarantee to be there at all)

spanners

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 10:49:56 PM »

i cant guarentee being early two years running  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: