May 17, 2024, 11:02:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565017 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7425 on: June 25, 2014, 09:25:14 PM »

Hmm. No Loon again today, but I had a can of petrol & a bottle of coolant, plus I'd accidentally left the ignition keys in the Pop under it's tarpaulin, so I was able to fill up & fire up.
No rattle, but that damn smoke's as bad as it was yesterday. Poo.
Really not sure what to do about it. I'm pretty sure the valley gasket's now properly sealed, so where do I look next? Cracked inlet manifold? (the Rover manifold also transfers coolant from one bank of cylinders to the other as well as feeding hot water to the heater). Mine's actually a Buick manifold, to take a Holley carb -the Rover engine's an old Buick design but usually runs twin SU carbs. Couldn't see any damage on the underside when it was off & I can't imagine it'd crack internally without showing externally.
It's definitely water smoke -steam, rather than oil smoke, but the exhaust headers are blowing slightly at the collectors & there's oil spray there. Not sure if it's just oily residue that's been carried in the steam though.
I gave it a quick spin around the yard, just to see if it cleared, as well as checking throttle response etc. Driving fine, but still pumping out loads of steam/smoke from the right hand bank.
Chatted to Mr Loon about it & he suggested it may just need a long run to clear it, as well as pointing out the silencers under the cab floor may well be full of water, which'll take a while to burn off.
I've got a couple of water hose clamps to tighten up & a new fuel regulator to fit after work tomorrow, then it's my day off on Friday, so will have another look then. Don't really want to risk driving it on the open road in case it dies, (being an auto, we can't push it back), plus it's got no MOT or tax at the moment. Should've checked the radiator fan fuse today too, but forgot. I've got a pack of new fuses with built in LEDs that light up when the fuse is blown, so will fit those.
Very frustrating cos I just want to get it MOT'd & drive the damn thing & it was running fine when we parked it up for the Winter.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
kapri

« Reply #7426 on: June 25, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »

I don't think we did anything to cure it the last time it just went away. Marcus is right about the vapour I think, don't forget any water that was in the bores will have been pushed into the exhausts and will need to evapourate.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7427 on: June 25, 2014, 09:50:34 PM »

I believe you can push (or tow) some autos depending on the type of box but only a short distance at a very low speed - I'm sure someone on here will have the lowdown...

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7428 on: June 25, 2014, 10:18:05 PM »

Yeah, we have towed it a very short distance before Bobbi at more or less walking pace & it seemed fine. More worried about being caught on the roadside without MOT or tax.

So just let it tick over in the yard for the afternoon Kev? Would it need higher than tick-over revs to clear it? Still can't remember it smoking last time around, but I do have the memory span of a goldfish. I haven't got a water temperature gauge -roughly how soon should the fan be cutting in at tick-over?
I'm committed to a 3 week trip to Canada to visit my sister in a couple of weeks time, although I really can't afford it. I know exactly what's gonna happen -I spend 6 months & every available penny rebuilding the thing & getting it MOT'd & taxed, just in time to hand it over to Loon to cruise around in till the middle of August!  Angry

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7429 on: June 26, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »

Never mind, you've got to go to Canada even if you can't afford it cos you'll have a wonderful time and life's too short not to do things cos you can't afford them!

And typing that has made up my mind about something I was hesitating over cos of lack of pennies, thanks Andy!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7430 on: June 27, 2014, 09:46:37 PM »

Nice to know I've helped someone!

My day off today, so I was at the workshop at the crack of 11.0.clock to tackle the Pop. My plan of attack for the smoking problem was basically to leave it ticking over for as long as possible & hope it cured itself. A brilliant strategy, but unfortunately it didn't work. After an hour of it gently chugging away, the steam/smoke was the same as before. I've no idea where to go next with this.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7431 on: June 27, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »

The headers leak slightly at the collector boxes, (where the 4 pipes join into one). There's an oily residue there, but we think it's oily/sooty water, rather than just oil -presumably from the pipes being steam cleaned.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7432 on: June 27, 2014, 09:50:05 PM »

It's only smoking on the right hand bank of cylinders, so I pulled the spark plugs out -the front 3 are dry but very sooty. The rear one is wet, like it's been dipped in water. Looking in the plughole I can see a reflection -so there's obviously water on top of the piston & presumably because the smoke stayed at a constant level, water's being regularly fed into the cylinder, rather than it just burning off a previous build up?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:55:22 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7433 on: June 27, 2014, 09:51:37 PM »

So the problem's with the rear cylinder on the right hand side, though I'm not sure why the other plugs are so sooty as I wire brushed them off yesterday. It doesn't seem to be mis-firing.
On the plus side, the radiator fan's working. It'll tick over all day without the fan coming on, but as soon as I blip the throttle, it cuts in for a minute or so.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:54:24 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7434 on: June 27, 2014, 09:56:20 PM »

Did a few other small jobs, including fitting a new fuel regulator as 2 of the mounting screws on the old one had stripped their threads & replacing a couple of jubilee clips on dripping water hoses. I modified the sill closing panels, (between the floors & the bottom of the outside bodywork), & gave them a coat of black bed liner spray, ready to fit tomorrow. Also made paper templates for the rubber floor coverings.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:00:05 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Olds

« Reply #7435 on: June 27, 2014, 10:40:14 PM »

On the plus side, the radiator fan's working. It'll tick over all day without the fan coming on, but as soon as I blip the throttle, it cuts in for a minute or so.
Any ideas?
Where is the sensor/switch for the fan. If it's not actually in the coolant it will not work correctly. Blipping the throttle may increase coolant flow and raise the  level to the point the coolant contacts the sensor, transferring heat and switching the fan on.

When I had a head gasket go the temp gauge first climbed into the red and then dropped to cold as the coolant level dropped below the sensor.

Hate to say this but sounds like head gasket has gone.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:45:27 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
kapri

« Reply #7436 on: June 27, 2014, 10:54:29 PM »

Still think it needs driving to clear it , the way your system is designed it's very easy for it to collect and condense while just ticking over ...just as it did previously .Needs speed  and volume of hot air going through to clear it. The more it's left just to tickover the more it'll smoke. It would have chucked lots of water out by now if it were head gasket .

Simplest check to  just to rule it out head gaskets is a £10 dye test from E bay.

You have of course remembered that the lefthand exhaust is actually the right hand bank of cylinders and vice versa ? Wink
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:56:58 PM by kapri » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7437 on: June 27, 2014, 11:07:50 PM »

Aah, but the rear cross-over silencers aren't fitted at the moment Kev, so the right exhaust is actually the right bank!
The fan switch is screwed into the bottom of the radiator. I checked the water level before running the engine & again later. It'd dropped by about an inch, but still above the core, but may simply have gone down as it filled the pipes, (I drained the rad to remove the inlet manifold the other day).
No sign of water in the oil when I removed the oil filler cap & the oil on the dipstick's clean, so I'm assuming the head gasket's good. What's the proper name for the dye tester so I can order one?
O.K, don't want to risk it on the open road, but will take it for a spin around the village over the weekend then.

kapri

« Reply #7438 on: June 28, 2014, 07:36:09 AM »

Stick another plug in that back pot , looks like it's overfuelled and killed it to me. Once modern plugs flood they never recover , sees to soak into the porcelain. Mixture needs tweaking again as it will have changed without the rear silencers on there .

Even to the experienced ear it can be difficult to pick up a V8 only running on 7 .Often only becomes apparent when driving as not quite right'.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-ENGINE-BLOCK-HEAD-GASKET-TEST-FLUID-17floz-COMBUSTION-LEAK-TESTER-KIT-/281368931880?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4182e52e28
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:38:45 AM by kapri » Logged
terry t

« Reply #7439 on: June 28, 2014, 07:44:11 AM »

Stick another plug in that back pot , looks like it's overfuelled and killed it to me. Once modern plugs flood they never recover , sees to soak into the porcelain. Mixture needs tweaking again as it will have changed without the rear silencers on there .

Even to the experienced ear it can be difficult to pick up a V8 only running on 7 .Often only becomes apparent when driving as not quite right'.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-ENGINE-BLOCK-HEAD-GASKET-TEST-FLUID-17floz-COMBUSTION-LEAK-TESTER-KIT-/281368931880?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4182e52e28
That's no good on its own,  its just the fluid replacement,  dont you need the block tester kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Block-tester-kit-for-petrol-and-diesel-engines-original-BT500-leak-tester-/181059430832?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a27fba9b0

you could also do a cylinder leak down test

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motamec-Engine-Cylinder-Leakage-Tester-Leak-Down-Test-Pressure-Detector-Tool-/291053914945?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item43c42a4b41
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:54:11 AM by terry t » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: