May 18, 2024, 12:25:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565048 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4590 on: April 01, 2012, 12:14:29 PM »

We talked about that yesterday Mike. Biggest problem would be getting it there, plus the lack of available time to get everything done.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
spanners

« Reply #4591 on: April 01, 2012, 12:36:29 PM »

if i had the deisel i,d come down but things are lookin grim here

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
dobber

« Reply #4592 on: April 01, 2012, 06:41:17 PM »

seems the moods happier down the lock up now the main probs sorted. glad to hear it.

COMMENT CANCELLED. 

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4593 on: April 01, 2012, 10:07:14 PM »

Cheesy

panthershaun

« Reply #4594 on: April 02, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »

keep at it mate, I need someone to race against......

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
andyrennison

« Reply #4595 on: April 02, 2012, 12:18:10 PM »

I hope you manage to sort it.  Have a brew, take a long walk and think. Another solution will come to you Smiley

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #4596 on: April 02, 2012, 02:00:11 PM »

YOU
CAN
DO
IT

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
dobber

« Reply #4597 on: April 02, 2012, 06:38:13 PM »

YOU
CAN
DO
IT

what happened to WE can do it.   making m/m think he's alone

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
one arm bandit

« Reply #4598 on: April 02, 2012, 07:10:24 PM »

YOU
CAN
DO
IT

what happened to WE can do it.   making m/m think he's alone
hes a postie im sure he WILL deliver..........................eventually Wink
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4599 on: April 02, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »

I'm all alone!  Cry
O.K, fresh day, fresh view on the problems.
Kev no longer has transport available to travel up from the South Coast, so he's left me a list of jobs to do.
The brake pedal's still dropping too far on the first push, then pumping up on subsequent pushes. Close inspection of the pedal itself showed that the pushrod that connects it to the master cylinder is "vectoring" -travelling in an arc, rather than a straight line. That means a sizeable amount of the braking effort's being lost. The arm on the bottom of the pedal needed to be further back to give a full pedal stroke & the pedal pivot needed to be lower to keep the pushrod running parallel to the cylinder.
So today I've cut off & re-positioned the clevis arm on the bottom of the pedal, re-made the pushrod & found an off-cut of heavy gauge box section that'll slide over the existing pedal mount. I've started drilling the pivot hole in it. The bushes either side of the pedal will need spacing out a little to fit the wider box, but I've got a spare pair of bronze pedal bushes so may be able to persuade Dave to turn them down on the lathe to suit. He had the afternoon off today & was at the workshop, which was handy cos I needed the end of the pushrod turned down to fit the master cylinder.
Hopefully tomorrow the old box section will be shortened back, clear of the old pivot hole, & the new box section welded over the top. That'll put us back where we were, except for the anti lock valve. So I should be ready to bleed the system again by tomorrow evening.

Firery Fred

« Reply #4600 on: April 03, 2012, 07:35:25 PM »

I've got no nails left me,and I don't mean the knockin in type

It's better to have a gun,(welding),and not need one than need a gun and not have one
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4601 on: April 03, 2012, 09:35:01 PM »

How do you think I feel?!  Tongue

I've cut the new box section for the pedal mount & cut down the existing one so the new one slots over the top of it. Dave, (Loony Senior), fired up his lathe & turned down a couple of spare bronze bushes I had as spacers cos the new box is wider than the old one.
Fitted the pedal, but it sits lower than it did before, (behind the throttle pedal). Just a miscalculation on my part I think. I can notch the box a bit more, where the pedal stops against it, or shave the face of the pedal, so it comes up higher. But that will pull the pushrod out of the master cylinder. Which means the new box section will need shortening down to put the pushrod back where it should be. I stayed late tonight to get it ready for Loony to weld in the morning, but need to get it right before he does. Getting there, slowly.

Floor mounted brake pedal on the left. Bulkhead frame mounted throttle pedal on the right.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:39:47 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4602 on: April 03, 2012, 09:40:08 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4603 on: April 04, 2012, 08:06:50 PM »

Today's mood is ....happy.
Or at least hopeful.
It was my day off today. After accidentally throwing my mobile phone in the dustbin, realising what I'd done when I was halfway to the workshop & having to turn round & go & retrieve it -don't ask, I didn't get there till lunchtime. Uncle Kev was able to come up again today, wearing the Woolly Hat of Wisdom, (we suspect that's where he stores all the knowledge), & had already checked the pedal situation & decided the first course of action by the time I got there.
I think I work better, or at least happier, when someone else is in charge -I enjoy the fabrication side of things, but prefer it when I'm just told Go away & make this fit that. Lots of cutting, trial fitting, trimming & re-fitting followed. The new box section pedal mount's tacked in place on the chassis & the push rod appears to be moving in a straight line as it should. So with luck, we won't be losing so much braking effort. I'm currenty tweaking the pedal itself to lift it off the floor a bit more to give us more reserve travel & increase the pedal ratio a little. We've added an anti lock valve in the rear line from the master cylinder, (courtesy of Phunkie Hiboy -thanks Chris), to stop the rear brakes locking before the fronts, but it might be adding extra volume to the amount needed to operate the brakes, so might come out again yet.
The tester said he couldn't test the brakes properly last time because the pedal hit the floor before they fully applied, but based on what he could test, he thought they'd be O.K if we could get rid of the extra pedal travel. Hopefully we're on track to do that, but I'm not going to jinx it again by saying we're definitely winning!
I'll take a day out on Good Friday for the WheelsDay rod show at Rushmoor Arena in Hampshire, but other than that will be at the workshop every day as usual.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4604 on: April 04, 2012, 08:07:23 PM »

The brake pedal's deliberately further forward than the throttle -we need as much space between it & the floor as we can get. It doesn't have to be comfortable to drive, just good enough to pass the test. We can alter everything later if necessary.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 08:10:26 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: