May 17, 2024, 08:55:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564973 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8955 on: October 17, 2016, 09:42:21 PM »

A few small jobs done today, until rain stopped play. The Pop's safely garaged now, but I have to roll it at least halfway outside to have the room to work on it, so if it pours down I still have to stop. Ahh well.
Mr Olds -better?  Smiley
Need to notch the battery box for the Positive cable now.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 09:46:32 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8956 on: October 17, 2016, 09:47:53 PM »

New water hose trimmed to length, but it's thicker than the old one so I've had to order new clamps.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8957 on: October 17, 2016, 09:55:09 PM »

Spent some time messing about with the rear silencers, (sorry, no photo), a pair of stainless Cherry Bombs that hang under the battery box, running across the width of the chassis. I'm really not happy with the shape of the pipes that connect to the rest of the system, plus when I originally made them, they hung from the rubber "bobbin" mounts when they should sit on top of them, so the mounting tabs need modifying. As I'm still on holiday, I'm gonna nip over to Torque Technique in Salisbury tomorrow morning. They made the pipes for my bike. I'll ask them to re-make the connecting pipes & re-weld the mounts.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8958 on: October 21, 2016, 09:17:36 PM »

Pipes collected from Salisbury this morning. Got to take them back on Monday cos the new inlets will foul on the underside of the chassis. Ho hum, one step forward...

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8959 on: October 21, 2016, 09:29:28 PM »

I'm only messing with them because now the pick-up bed's off, I can get at everything that was underneath.
So I'm de-rusting the chassis -finally managed to get my generator going so was able to attack it with a flap wheel on the angle grinder, (garage now full of rust dust), then I'll treat it with the "Fertan" rust killer recommended by Mister Metalhead, (bought some on Ebay last week). Does anyone make an aerosol rust killer with a straw so it can be sprayed inside the chassis too? Then I'll give it a heavy coat of red oxide, flat it back & paint it black, as I believe Mr Jagger said.
So while I'm sorting the chassis out, I'll re-route & tidy the wiring, replace the seized up shocks, replace the rusty fuel pipe & generally finish everything as it should've been. Then the back end's finished & I don't have to do it again. I hope. If I put the silencers back on properly, once the Pop's MOT'd & driveable I can take it over to Salisbury & have them make up the last section of pipe between the front & rear silencers, (hoping it'll pass MOT with just the front ones).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 09:51:45 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8960 on: October 21, 2016, 09:37:22 PM »

I'd like to run it for the Spring with just the cab on bare chassis rails -no pick-up bed, while I de-rust & tidy the bed. About 30 years ago I had a Moggy Minor pick-up that I drove like that for a couple of years. The Pop might be a bit skittery with skinny crossplies & no weight on the back end though, so I've been vaguely thinking about a temporary wooden flatbed for it. I can buy brand new scaffold planks locally for £1 a foot so could "plank" the back for 20 quid. Then this photo cropped up on FaceBook this evening. I think I remember seeing this in the late 70s/early 80s.

kapri

« Reply #8961 on: October 22, 2016, 02:39:28 AM »

Put the steel bed back on, don't make extra work with a plank bed for the sake of it PLUS crossplies and no weight rear /front heavy is a recipe for disaster . That back end is going to be so overbraked it will want to swap ends all the time...TRUST ME!
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #8962 on: October 22, 2016, 07:40:35 AM »

And depending how many holes you have in the bottom of your chassis ,you could always pour oil into the chassis and leave it in there to coat the inside for a while ? Yes I'm sure you have electrics etc running through it though ?,otherwise just spray lots of WD40 or cheaper substitute which will do ? The tins normally come with long nozzles

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
the coppersmith

« Reply #8963 on: October 22, 2016, 09:12:51 AM »

Finnigans waxoil? I used it on many old cars. Have to warm it up before injecting it, and if you have to weld afterwards, forget it, the fumes will get you Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8964 on: October 22, 2016, 10:56:53 AM »

Yeah, that's what I thought Kev. Just an idea that was all. After sitting outside for 3 years the pick-up bed needs a lot of work. It's hanging from the garage ceiling & I try not to look up at it cos it's depressing.
No wiring inside the chassis but plenty of wiring clip/bolt holes for access to spray. Finding something in a convenient spray can was more the problem as I don't have a decent power supply or airline.

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #8965 on: October 22, 2016, 11:59:14 AM »

Just drill a couple of big enough holes in top of the chassis..pour lots of oil inside..(iv used old oil in the past ) then let it drip out of the other 2 big enough holes ( which can be drilled later?) the added weight of the oil will help your handling  Cheesy

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Tony oily bike

« Reply #8966 on: October 22, 2016, 02:30:45 PM »

Just drill a couple of big enough holes in top of the chassis..pour lots of oil inside..(iv used old oil in the past ) then let it drip out of the other 2 big enough holes ( which can be drilled later?) the added weight of the oil will help your handling  Cheesy

Esp if a traditional heavy weight is oil is used!! Grin (I'll get me coat......)

On a more serious note (ahem) - Waxoil is good stuff, well worth considering.

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
MIXA

« Reply #8967 on: October 22, 2016, 07:42:27 PM »

When we had a council lock up we used to drap a tarp over the doors we had nails inside above the door so if it rained it would run away to the front

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8968 on: October 22, 2016, 07:56:36 PM »

Yeah, we did that a couple of times at Loony's old workshop. Would make it very dark in the lock-up I think. Not a major problem until the weather starts to turn. I just have to keep an eye on the skies & roll it back in when needed.
I can drill access holes for pouring oil in, then plug them with rubber bungs, but really want something in a spray of some sort, so it gets into as many nooks & crannies as possible, (always keep your crannies well oiled).
Still vaguely wondering about running without the bed, just for a while, cos I like the look. There'll be 2 full tanks of fuel & a battery over the back end, but I was looking at it today thinking I could pinch one of my brother's drag racing tricks & add a weight tube across the back, filled with lead shot. Then I thought that's probably more work than just sorting out the pick-up bed.

Nice to see Mssrs Olds & BayChimp today. Dave called by for another quick poke at the electrics. He tells me stuff but may as well be talking to himself, (maybe he is?), cos it means absolutely nothing to me. Are we making progress? I have no idea.
Bob just came round to stop me working -joking Bob!  Cheesy Nice to see him. We looked at the pick-up bed. Once Mr Dslam collects my bike from my other lock-up I might take it down, wire brush off as much rust as I can then take it to the other lock-up to work on. Having it hung from the garage rafters is fine, but I'm convinced it'll come crashing down at some point, either onto the Pop or onto me.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8969 on: October 22, 2016, 08:02:52 PM »

Fired up the generator again & modified the exhaust hanging brackets underneath the battery box. I'm using Mini rubber "bobbins", which are designed to have the weight of the exhaust sat on them, rather than hanging from them as I had before. Sorted.

Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: