May 14, 2024, 09:22:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheels and tyres  (Read 1859 times)
hairy monsta

« on: February 17, 2008, 10:29:13 PM »

Now please please please correct me if I'm wrong here but as I understand things I have to keep the overall wheel/tyre diameter to somewhere near the original Reliant figures if i want a balance between acceleration and a reasonable top end so depending which you start with the tyre width/profile would limit wheel diameter and vise versa

Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 10:51:49 PM »

Check out the tyre size calculator in the Motors, 3 wheels, trike tech section of the main site.

tyre size calculator

It'll help you decide what size you need. The profile of the tyre is a percentage of it's width -so the height of a 70 profile tyre is 70 percent of it's width. Therefore, 2 tyres, the same profile, but different widths, will be different heights.
As a rough guide, we've found an overall wheel/tyre height of around 24 inches gives good acceleration in the first 3 gears, with 4th gear becoming a sort of overdrive for motorway cruising. From 0 - 60, our trikes will actually outrun a lot of road cars. They'll cruise at 70 -75 quite happily & slowly wind up to a top speed of around 85 -90 if you have enough road, but are happiest blatting around A roads at about 60 - 65.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
hairy monsta

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 02:00:29 PM »

Thanks for the info Manky.
 I got the tyre width/profile bit, its more the effects of increasing/reducing overall wheel/tyre diameter will have and at what sort of rate??
 If I'm understanding it correctly a smaller wheel/tyre combo will increase acceleration whilst reducing top speed and a larger overall diameter would reduce acceleration and increase top speed.
 So i guess what I really need to know is what noticeable difference each extra inch makes. (Too easy don't do it Grin) and at what point it would become an issue. Any ideas folks?

Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 09:28:46 PM »

Cheap innuendo's always worth the effort I find  Grin Oh, alright then.  Sad
Yup, spot on with the effects of wheel size. As for the exact point at which it becomes a problem -really not sure, as we've found a size that works & stuck with it. Maybe this will help. Maybe not.

Tyre size/diff ratio calculator thingy

Anyone else got an opinion or first hand experience?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
pagan

Ride like yer stole it...

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 10:23:22 PM »

I run these 185/80R14 91T TL HANKOOK K715 (14" rims 100pcd 4 stud) on me xj9 reliant axle trike with approx overall wheel height of 25", works great good acceleration through gears 1-4 (v quick from the lights). Not over reving n sits @ 70-80 all day...like MM says 24"+ give n take any 'finger nails'...works well...Triker tried n tested... Cool

Cheers The Pagan

The Pagan
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: