May 15, 2024, 06:10:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What Not To Do!!  (Read 4143 times)
hairy monsta

« on: January 31, 2007, 10:12:03 PM »

Hi to all the new folks (Ive not posted anything for a while) and must say oh mankey one the trikes looking rather good! Just wondered what people would think to a "what not to do" section Shocked Undecided    Could be split into silly and serious sections, one for as it says, SILLY, and the other could follow the MMM ethos and be used to share info on, strangely enough, what not to do, and learn from each others cock ups! (we've all made a few along the way) Grin Grin Grin

Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 03:11:49 PM »

A good idea. Got any embarrassing workshop disasters or handy advice to share with us?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
hairy monsta

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 07:28:16 PM »

Only the usual really.

DON'T set your crotch alight with an angle grinder  Shocked Shocked Shocked (yes ive done this one Roll Eyes) Most amusing for on lookers but not so hot if your the one doing it!
       DON'T set your hair alight with a mig welder. Not done this one (don't have enough to set alight) but have seen it done, his hair was tied back and a cap on!! Must admit it took a fair while to get my laughter under control, but what are friends for?? Last one, and i speak from experience here, Cheep tools - DON'T do it, very false economy! Angry

hairy monsta

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 07:53:29 PM »

Come on folks.
 Don't all shout at once, the silence is deafening!! Grin. Our great leader thinks this is an ok idea. Ive never known you all to be this un-opinionated Grin.
 Good idea/Bad idea? Undecided Undecided
I know i for one would benefit from the great wealth of knowledge, experience and expertise you share between you all!  (i'm sure i'm not alone on that) 
If there is any interest and enough posts maybe the mighty technical wizard they call Yoda could give it its own section?Huh Kiss Wink Who knows?

tazet
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 08:27:08 PM »

I think it would be a good Idea (would be very funny reading too)  Grin
reliantman

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 08:42:40 PM »

I have set my overalls alight with a grinder in the past, and also saw a bloke cutting a profile out of thick sheet metal wth an oxy/acetylene torch, laid flat on some stands. He happened to have his leg partly under the metal, and did'nt realise his trouser leg was on fire untill his balls started to warm up.
It was really funny watching him doing the flaming two-step, but it was a close thing really.
hairy monsta

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 08:43:34 PM »

Thanks tazet, glad i'm not the only one.
 Was begining to think i was talking to myself for a moment there!
 Now what about the rest of you lot?

hairy monsta

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 08:47:51 PM »

Hi Reliantman.  Well i guess thats the silly side up and running then Grin Grin.
Keep them comming folks!

ska-man2

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 09:52:42 PM »

Sounds good to me.http://
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 09:55:23 PM »

I set light to myself on a regular basis with either the grinder or welder so just accept it as normal now.
How about don't use a disposable plastic lighter to ignite your acetylene torch, set fire to the lighter when the torch sparks up, drop it on the floor, stamp on it to put it out, smashing the plastic casing & spreading lighter fluid over the garage floor, which then catches light, setting fire to your boot. And don't chuck the torch aside to put out your hot foot, only to set fire to the rags on the workbench.
No, don't do that. Ahem.

ska-man2

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 09:57:38 PM »

Not sure I want you back in my garage Smiley Smiley Wink
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 10:03:17 PM »

Too late. I've claimed squatter's rights.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 10:14:02 PM »

Do they still sell Swan Vestas?  Tou know those little matches with red tips, in a large flattish box.  Don't keep them in your back pocket in a pair of tight jeans - really, don't!

They're not safety matches y'see, which means they'll strike on anything.  There I was in the cowshed, and I turned around a bit quick or something, and my bum brushed against the concrete wall, and - wooooosh!  The box of matches went upo in flames!  Couldn't get them out of my pocket in a hurry,and my bum was getting hotter!

Luckily, halfway down the cowshed, there was a break in the wall, with a tank of water that we used for washing down, so I scooted along the shed and sank my bum in the water!

Oh the relief!

so, folks, don't keep a box of non-safety matches in your back pocket - just don't do it!  Couldn't sit down for a fortnight.........   Embarrassed

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
reliantman

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 10:27:49 PM »

While I was on an NVQ Assesors course I was teaching these schoolies who were on their last chance ( because they had been kicked out of school), the basics of workshop practice and safety.
One of these kids was a right gimboid.
We had a big expensive metal cutting band saw which was very sensitive to having the blade dropped onto the workpiece. It had a hydraulic valve which lowered the moving blade onto the metal very slowly.(standard saw for the experts here).
This twat thought it was funny to whack the arm straight down onto the metal, which then stripped all the teeth off an 80 pound band saw blade in a big shower of red hot sparks.
The first time he got a bollocking and was told to fit a new blade.
The second time he did it he was sent home for the rest of the day.
Third time he wrecked the blade he was kicked off the course after just standing there in the shower of teeth laughing his head off.
hairy monsta

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 04:20:16 PM »

How about don't use a disposable plastic lighter to ignite your acetylene torch, set fire to the lighter when the torch sparks up, drop it on the floor, stamp on it to put it out, smashing the plastic casing & spreading lighter fluid over the garage floor, which then catches light, setting fire to your boot. And don't chuck the torch aside to put out your hot foot, only to set fire to the rags on the workbench.

I guess thats why those sparklighter thingys were invented Mankey Grin Grin Grin.
Plastic lighters and welders make uneasy bed fellows. I heard of a bloke doing some welding with one in his pocket, sparks ignited the lighter taking part of his leg with it. Probably best avoided

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: