March 28, 2024, 05:59:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Me and Kickstarters!  (Read 3137 times)
morrag

Carpe diem!

« on: August 04, 2021, 07:56:50 PM »

Now whilst still vertical, at the great age I have acquired....acquired?....due to dodgy knees, particularly the right one, I struggle, that's an understatement! to kick start my '65 T100, so what to do to ease the situation, and i don't mean the silly priced electric boot conversions!! Anyway, any thoughts to a reasonably priced solution gratefully received....no, not "rollers" Cry..so there you go, all you super intelligent "Mankys" out there, apply you wisdom to this problem, hey, it will affect y'all eventually, Regards all, Morrag.

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 09:20:41 PM »

Don't know if this is worth thinking about, but there are (were?) available small (smaller than a spark plug in diameter) manually-operated decompressors.

Trouble is they require enough space in the cylinder head for a hole to be drilled and tapped, so it can be fitted

Once in place, they have a push-button which opens, and temporarily locks, a small valve (from memory prob less than  1/4" dia), making turning the engine over a lot easier.

When the engine fires, the internal pressure automatically closes the valve.

Cheers  Wink

FYI This is the type of thing.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Decompressor-Valve-Fits-PARTNER-ACTIVE-K650-/270824534892?hash=item3f0e66736c:g:S1kAAOSwfcVUGVj9

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Olds

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 05:52:36 AM »

Which kickstart lever is fitted ? Seem to remember that early bikes had a short lever, 68 on had a longer one making it a tad easier on the knees.
The only other idea I can think of, is to lower the compression ratio by making a copper or aluminium base gasket. Downside is a loss of performance and possibly a need for longer pushrods.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 06:27:16 AM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 06:47:16 PM »

Well gents, no surprises that words of wisdom are forthcoming. Decompress or idea a possibility, and in my trialing days, an essential piece of Kit, so..... The longer kickstart is also worth consideration, and tomorrow I shall have a hunt through my extremely valuable Triumph, aka junk! spares stock, for such an item, that I recall from the distant past I just might have, cheers both, your interest and advice gratefully received, regards, Morrag.

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: