March 29, 2024, 06:22:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cheap bsa for someone  (Read 4868 times)
Al

« on: October 19, 2012, 04:11:19 PM »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1979-BSA-AERIAL-3-MOPED-49CC-3-WHEEL-TRIKE-LOG-BOOK-RUNS-/170924853046?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item27cbea4736

The North

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 04:14:26 PM »

Grin Grin Good job i looked at it first AL i could just as easy posted i am on it and then had a look.  Grin Grin
Olds

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 07:28:21 PM »

I remember selling one of these new in 72 or 73. It was bright orange and really s**te to ride having a strange pivot in the centre that allowed it to lean but not far enough. It was also supposedly one of the reasons BSA went under. I do know that due to an ordering mistake the company was left with thousands of 2 stroke engines (Dutch I think) that the receiver sold of at a ridiculous price( they were being advertised in MCN for something like £12 complete with carb). Must have been the last BSA that Giffords sold.
Now they are COLLECTABLE  Huh

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »

That's exactly right,I bought one of those BSA 3 motors from some asset stripper in London back then, why,I have no idea!! its just that they were so cheap I just had to have one, ended up using it to drive a small boat generator..............ho. hum. days of yore and all that, now wheres my slippers and pipe?..... Grin Grin Grin Grin Cheesy

Beware the Ides of March, But!
The North

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 09:02:20 PM »

I remember them, the same thing was badged up and sold as ariel 3 was it not. ?
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 11:06:07 PM »

That's not a collector's item, that's just old!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Olds

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 05:47:52 AM »

I remember them, the same thing was badged up and sold as ariel 3 was it not. ?
BSA decided to relaunch the Ariel name with it (dont think it ever had BSA badges on it anywhere) .
Some might say it was to distance themselves from it in case it wasn't as popular as hoped  Grin

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 09:54:14 AM »

I'm old........and a collectors..................no I'm not!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Beware the Ides of March, But!
dobber

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 12:41:55 PM »

is it worth the money. looks like a fun little restro job. looks complete too.

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
Olds

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 04:49:23 PM »

As you say could be fun to do if not to ride, not sure but i think there's some cowling between the engine and rh side that's missing but generally  looks to be all there. As to is it worth it, that's up to you  
If I found one very local then I might be tempted, maybe, perhaps. Cheesy
At least it,s tax free, not that it means much on a moped.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 05:17:09 PM by Old Newbie » Logged

spanners

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 08:47:45 PM »

sold an all original unrestored in tidy order up and running for £65 about  6yrs ago ther seemed to be loads of cheap ones about at that time,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
KC.

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 06:41:47 PM »

At the time they were called "Granny killers".Blue Skies,KC.
kevsky

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 07:03:16 PM »

a friend of the better half used to own one but traded it in for a honda melody and for a coupla days brought it to ours to have the bars straighted ot the mirror replacing cos she forgot to put her feet down at traffic lights

reality sucks thank god for religion
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 08:58:56 PM »

£395?   I'd take it away if he paid me £395.

Wink

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Cabman77

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 02:31:56 PM »

I remember selling one of these new in 72 or 73. It was bright orange and really s**te to ride having a strange pivot in the centre that allowed it to lean but not far enough. It was also supposedly one of the reasons BSA went under. I do know that due to an ordering mistake the company was left with thousands of 2 stroke engines (Dutch I think) that the receiver sold of at a ridiculous price( they were being advertised in MCN for something like £12 complete with carb). Must have been the last BSA that Giffords sold.
Now they are COLLECTABLE  Huh

This was the final nail in the coffin for BSA. The real rot started for them when the Proffessor that designed the XS650 took the design to the board because he`d based the design on the A65 Lightening. The Board of BSA answered in typically English fashion of ignorance and self assuredness saying "Overhead cams? Don`t think they`ll catch on, our customers won`t like that" and so on down the slide to bankruptcy they went having turned down what can only be called one of the best selling models of the 70`s/80`s.

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: