May 14, 2024, 09:39:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Twolanes bottom end tales  (Read 2372 times)
twolanes

PRO ET/571

« on: January 11, 2008, 04:42:46 PM »

Thought i would start a post for all you on some of the cars i have had in the past. I will start off with the pop that i built.This part of my story starts at TC bodymods, i was and still am great mates with Terry & Charlie who owned the place,Charlie was daft enough to let me drive his 32 p/up, and i loved it, this got me dreaming of a rod, Charlie found me a pop that was for sale, it had been rodded at some point in its life but had been partially stripped and left in a garage in fulham and then just left. Me and Charlie went for a look, it had no engine or box (was an MG i think), but did have a viva front end and straight body,I had never been a great lover of pops (sorry Andy), but wanted to build my own rod,so with Lynns permission (my other half at the time) i paid way too much money for it. We dragged it down to TC,s and got stripping, the viva front was on pissed, the rear axle was crap, etc etc, so with much help from Terry and Charlie we started on rebuilding,the only idea at this time was I wanted it to sit real low, without channeling it. Terry lined up the front end i got hold of a rover v8 and box, a very short lsd r/axle from a 69 dodge charger (wish i still had that), my mate Chris rebuilt the auto box for me. I back halfed the chassis and c,d it, the front was dropped on the leaf spring, i come up trumps on a pair of 12x15 centre lines and Terry banded the rear wings 4", he also welded the front into a 1 piece flipper,Cas filled the roof, Chris made up an adaptor to fit twin downdraft carbs (looked different but never really worked well), i bought hugger headers when they was a new idea, read bloody expensive,paid an arm and leg for an aftermarket brake master cylinder (more on this later). The car had to have a back seat as we had 3 boys Danny, Darren and Jason, all petrol heads now (its NOT my fault) so was a bit tight inside, as Lynn is nearly 6 feet tall. Finally with loads of help we reached MOT day, Terry took it and WOW it passed, we wanted to go to the show on hayling island that weekend and still had no paint or side windows, the colour i wanted was blue, so me and Charlie went through there paint store and got every half empty tin of blue we could find and mixed them together, it was then 1 of us had the idea to do it matt, so Charlie added matt agent to our mix, Terry started 1 side laying on the undercoat and Charlie follow 10 minutes later with the top coat (it was so dark most everyone thought it was black). The first time i drove it i managed to select reverse at about 45/50 mph, which was fun NOT,getting ready for hayling it was raining just a bit (pissing down) so we decided Lynn and the boys would go in the mini bus with all our kit and i would put black sacks over the seats and ruff it (boy im hard) on the drive down the A3 i though how much i would like side windows as im sitting a getting bigger by the minute puddle. Still we made it and had a great weekend, (met Kev eliot when he broke down).Back to that bloody master cylinder, in the pic the car has the old Pinball wizard front end, we was coming home from somewhere and Cas was in front of me in his 66 mustang, when he stopped, i pressed the brakes and nothing happened but lucky for me there was a mustang right in front and... you guessed it BANG , it wrote off my nice 1 piece front end, but Paul who owned Pinball gave me the old flipper that he had changed.  This is deffinatly 1 of those cars that would not have got done without loads and loads of help, so if you read this stand up and take a bow Terry, Charlie,George, Chris,cas, Lynn, and my boys Danny, Darren & Jason + anyone that has slipped my mind, and also you lot that are taking the time to read the ramblings of an old rodder/racer.Dave.     
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 11:49:54 PM »

Nice write up Dave. Have you got a few more piccies to go with it so we can transfer it to the Motors section? I'm waiting for Yoda to add Mouse's 3 Pop write ups at the moment too -we're gonna be over-run with Pops!
Great to see Pinball's yellow paint again. I remember seeing it at the Blackbushe airport drag races back in the late 70s. It was one of the very first full blown custom cars I ever saw & partly responsible for getting me into the custom scene.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: