May 13, 2024, 10:19:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stromberg Vs SU ?  (Read 7268 times)
Olds

« on: December 15, 2014, 02:55:36 PM »

Been looking for a  pair of SU carbs and manifold for an A series and the prices are horrendous. Generally £140 upwards (needing refurb !). A pair of Stromberg carbs with manifold is half that.
I'm used to SU, having had MGs, Land Rovers, and Reliant, but have no knowledge of Stromberg CD carbs. Anyone had any experience of both, able to give some comparison ?

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
kapri

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 04:00:50 PM »

Only experience I have on Strombergs is with split rubber diaphragms( Rootes group predominantly )  ,I've never messed with swapping them from car to car so no idea of how to set them up. I'm not a lover of SUs either though as never had much success with them but I know others who swear by them, give me Webers any day.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 05:24:21 PM »

SU & Webber are owned by the same company.
New carbs & parts available here:

http://burlen.co.uk/

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 07:17:14 PM »

In my Triumph GT6 owning days I had Mk2's with S.U's and Mk 3's with Strombergs, both very similar in the way they behaved. The Strombergs used synthetic diaphragms,which could split in time, but were cheap and easily replaceable. In use I found SU and Stromberg "much of a much" neither being better, or indeed much different! to the other. I'm currently running a CX/GL 500 Honda on a single SU 1.5" H1F,  and its "tidy" so for me, either or, with the Stromberg being possibly the marginally more "modern" instrument. Unless max. power is your bag I would leave the overated,& in my opinion!expensive Webber where it is!...Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Olds

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 08:52:39 PM »

Cheers guys, I think.  Smiley
 I could run the std single SU, but will have to change the manifold as it's integral with the exhaust manifold. Figured if I'm changing the manifold, might as well go to twin carbs. The Strombergs don't look as good or as period . Think I will just keep watching ebay for a while longer. Building to a tight budget is never going to be easy.

New carbs & parts available here:
http://burlen.co.uk/

Unfortunately a new setup @ £500+ would blow a very substantial hole in my vehicle budget. A hole big enough to sink it for a year.

Mendalot

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 08:59:25 PM »

Going back to my early years as a Vauxhall apprentice, if memory serves correctly, single Srombergs were a great carburettor, but to get them adjusted properly, you needed the use of a gas analyser shoved up the tail pipe. I had a Viva HB GT with twin Stombergs and it was a nightmare to balance them, there was an old boy who was part of the furniture when I started, who would use a bit of screen wash tubing with one end poked in one ear and the other end he would hover around the intakes whilst making the adjustments and he always got the best results .......... happy days.

With the endless information available to us today, I don't think it matters what you use, with a little research you will learn how to get the best from either of them.

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
the coppersmith

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 08:40:28 AM »

I used to run an A series motor on a Amal TT motorcycle carb. Never really found out if it went any faster, but at 17 it had to sound faster. Then big brother ran his Zodiac on twin Amals from a big old bike that stood in our garden for years. Used to look good and very "period"

SU's were always slightly more performance orientated, where as Strombergs came in to try and satisfy the emission requirements of the exports to the States and found their way onto the production line.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 06:26:07 PM »

I've got a 4 barrel Holley on my Rover V8 in my Pop, but it's probably no better than the standard twin SUs. The 2 SUs, sitting at about 45 degrees, look more hot roddy I think.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 10:33:03 PM »

The perfect setup for me would actually be downdraught carbs. That way I could take the exhausts straight out the side without having to drop down under the carbs first.
Perhaps a home made manifold  Undecided
Just noticed that the twin SU manifold for transvers engines is different to the midget/sprite. A difference of 10 degrees in face angle. I assume the mini etc. has a slightly canted engine that I had never noticed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:38:41 PM by Olds » Logged

phunkie hiboy

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 11:58:28 PM »

Just noticed that the twin SU manifold for transvers engines is different to the midget/sprite. A difference of 10 degrees in face angle. I assume the mini etc. has a slightly canted engine that I had never noticed.

Never knew this, I've been working on all types of "A" series engines for over 45 years. Spridget and mini engines are fitted vertically, the mini has that box section across the rear of the engine compartment, so it may well be to clear the jets on the carbs.

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
kapri

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »

I've got a 4 barrel Holley on my Rover V8 in my Pop, but it's probably no better than the standard twin SUs. The 2 SUs, sitting at about 45 degrees, look more hot roddy I think.

We are used to opening the hood to see twin SUs Andy .Most would think the Holley looks hot roddy as it is what you EXPECT to find on a V8 .There IS a big difference Andy , you've just been running it on a tired engine, expect a  big surprise when you take it out next. Now 4 sus on the boxer inlet IS different ( like Richard Blacks 27T).
panthershaun

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 09:49:22 AM »

The perfect setup for me would actually be downdraught carbs. That way I could take the exhausts straight out the side without having to drop down under the carbs first.
Perhaps a home made manifold  Undecided

mate ran an SU on his A as a down draft... worked a treat.. swapped it for a proper hotrod carb a 98 or something and all he got was worse fuel consumption Smiley

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
kapri

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 12:02:56 PM »

That type of Stromberg is very very basic and yet a real pain to get right ,especially if it's a gennie one for which there are no repros available Sad
minimutly

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 08:59:08 PM »

Su 's are the way to go (much better choice of needles and info). And yes there is a difference in angle, it was to clear the bulkhead on xverse cars.
Olds what are you after? I have a midget manifold and can throw in a pair of 1.25s for little money, you'd need jets and needles but their cheap enough.
Let me know,
Huw
Olds

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 08:23:26 AM »

Looks like it's going to be a pair SU carbs  Grin
Thanks Huw.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: