May 14, 2024, 08:05:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky & Loony's Model T modified  (Read 87027 times)
panthershaun

« Reply #240 on: August 08, 2014, 09:28:33 AM »

any progress with the planning/design???

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #241 on: August 08, 2014, 05:08:37 PM »

Smiley None whatsoever, but it will happen.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
merv

« Reply #242 on: August 08, 2014, 07:44:10 PM »

Shall I be the first one to ask, WHEN  Smiley

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #243 on: August 08, 2014, 09:01:48 PM »

No, you shan't Merv. It's been asked several times at the workshop.
We've talked about buying a genuine model T Ford chassis -surprisingly only about 200 quid -& building a "re bodied" classic. There's legislation in the pipeline at the moment though to create a "historic vehicle" tax class. Similar to a lot of European countries, where historics are only allowed limited annual mileage & must remain exactly as they left the factory. Some even have to file a route plan in advance of any road trips.
So going the classic/historic route may not be a wise move.
Building to the current BIVA regulations & earning a Q plate would "future proof" it, like my truck, certainly for the foreseeable future. A T Bucket, with no windscreen as we plan, no opening doors etc, should be reasonably easy to put through the test anyway. So for my money, building our own chassis, rather than modifying something else, is still the way to go. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:00:52 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Baychimp

« Reply #244 on: August 08, 2014, 09:14:59 PM »

What is it with Europe and legislation,Big brother at it again.Soon you will only be able to the toilet a limited times a year, and only if your equipment is in original working order, and file a detailed route plan to the ablutions
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #245 on: August 08, 2014, 09:20:38 PM »

It's progress, I'm told.  Tongue

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #246 on: August 09, 2014, 07:49:04 PM »

Cheaper to build our own then.

the coppersmith

« Reply #247 on: August 09, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »

I have been informed that all welding on chassis and cars that will be IVA inspected will have to be certified, I already have the certificate of registration, or coding as we call it, this is more European legislation, I have a kit car builder in Germany who has been buying up chassis and registration to avoid the dreaded inspection. It is almost impossible now to get IVA on the European continent as we know it. Get welding lads and lasses.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #248 on: August 09, 2014, 08:11:47 PM »

Yeah, our welding only had to be to visually acceptable standard, but I can understand coded welding being a requirement -not just our safety that's affected but everyone else on the road around us if something gives way. It'd be hard to argue that one.

kapri

« Reply #249 on: August 09, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »

I have been informed that all welding on chassis and cars that will be IVA inspected will have to be certified, I already have the certificate of registration, or coding as we call it, this is more European legislation, I have a kit car builder in Germany who has been buying up chassis and registration to avoid the dreaded inspection. It is almost impossible now to get IVA on the European continent as we know it. Get welding lads and lasses.

Can I ask where you heard that ? I'll have a chat with my contact at VOSA tech if there is some reputable source for the info. My understanding is our BIVA is now written in stone with the only changes being made are 6 monthly reviews/ clarification  of inspection procedure.
the coppersmith

« Reply #250 on: August 10, 2014, 09:16:06 AM »

This is now a European "thing" and as VOSA is about to be "privatised" the people who are bidding for it are European driven, I believe Capita are the favoured bidders due to the reason they already run the congestion charge in London and of course the gas safe register, that they got from Corgi. It seems they require a paper trail when IVA inspection etc. are done. Personally I think its a great idea, after seeing some of the welding on kit cars, Locost and Haynes roadsters, the ones you build from books, are notorious in poor standards. The welding test is a simple turn up and weld, one horizontal plate, one T fillet and vertical up and down. Takes about 2 hours, no instruction or training, just mig weld. I got this information from a VOSA employee at Exeter while waiting for my mates Robin Hood to be examined, it passed second attempt.
terry t

« Reply #251 on: August 10, 2014, 09:45:17 AM »

So like the gas registration. you will have to join a registered body
pay 100/150 per year then be told by some snotty kid straight out of collage your failed and need to go back to collage. just to do some thing you have been doing for the past 20+ years
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #252 on: August 10, 2014, 10:08:54 AM »

God almighty, this Capita lot are taking over Britain!  Someone should ask the Monopolies Commission to look into the situation - but they've probably taken that over as well!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
the coppersmith

« Reply #253 on: August 10, 2014, 10:21:33 AM »

They also run the tagging system. Terry you're right about the cost. I spend or spent thousands keeping qualifications up to date. Being a stove welder and a gas pipe welder meant having to have both gas and weld tickets. Luckily I'm coming to the end of my working life so can relax, but I agree that capita have become a huge concern, the government seem to trust these people or are they hand in hand??
terry t

« Reply #254 on: August 10, 2014, 11:04:19 AM »

They also run the tagging system. Terry you're right about the cost. I spend or spent thousands keeping qualifications up to date. Being a stove welder and a gas pipe welder meant having to have both gas and weld tickets. Luckily I'm coming to the end of my working life so can relax, but I agree that capita have become a huge concern, the government seem to trust these people or are they hand in hand??

A Nice Big Fat Brown Envelope,  GB gone down the pan
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
  Print  

Jump to: