May 14, 2024, 10:34:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky & Loony's Model T modified  (Read 87021 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: September 21, 2013, 08:29:56 PM »

If you've been following my Ford Pop thread elsewhere in this section, you'll know that after declaring the Pop would be my first & only hotrod, I'm now embarking on a new project.
I bought a fibreglass "27 T roadster bodyshell a few years ago, but ended up getting rid of it in favour of the Pop because I thought the T would never get through the modern BIVA registration test. I planned to run the Pop on it's original logbook, but ended up putting it through the test as a brand new vehicle anyway. So now, armed with a little experience, a bit of confidence & a lot of advice from Mr Kapri, our resident BIVA expert, I've gone & done it & bought another model T bodyshell. I collect it next week.
The plan is to throw together a super low budget, 2 seater open top roadster -something deliberately basic, just to blat around in for the hell of it. Nothing overly clever or trick, just a good fun motor that can be driven anywhere, anytime, rain or shine, without having to worry about scratching it or getting the seats grubby. It'll be registered through the BIVA system, so will be 100% road legal too.
Really aiming for a sub 500 quid build, though that'll probably prove to be wildly optimistic, (the Pop ended up costing more like 5,000). For that reason, it'll be built with as many begged or borrowed parts as can be blagged from friends & workshop visitors. Which is where Mr Loon comes in. He has an 850cc Reliant engine, gearbox & back axle & the facilities to put it all together -& a supercharger. So this has already become a joint project. It'll be a workshop car, living outside Loony's 'shop for anyone to jump in & have a blast up the road in when they want. Using the Reliant engine will make it cheap to run, cheap to insure & will also be a nice nod to the Reliant engined trikes I've built in the past. We're not trying to pretend it has a bigger engine, (Reliants are good for 80mph + as standard anyway), but will fit a full bonnet over it to make it a little more weatherproof.
Fortunately Loon & I share very similar tastes in old school hotrods, so we've already decided on most of the design details. We're aiming for something very much like this. My previous bodyshell was a replica 1927 model T ""turtle deck", which had a curved boot at the back. The new one will be a 1923 ish body like this. This particular style, with just the body tub & a cylindrical fuel tank behind it, is known as a T Modified.
Maybe we should call it RelianT.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:14:20 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »

I made a spur of the moment bid on a fibreglass T body on Ebay last week. The seller was advertising a body, chassis & "track T" nose cone in 3 separate auctions, so I bid on all 3. In typical Ebay fashion, I was outbid in the last few seconds on the body & chassis, so ended up winning the nose cone -with no car to attach it to. It arrived this week. 20 quid. Not really the look we're after, but it may be useful to cover various suspension & steering components for the test, (although the vehicle has to comply with all the requirements for the test, there's nothing to stop you modifying it afterwards, within reason). So it'll either get used, or hung on the workshop wall as "'shop art".
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:27:42 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Olds

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »

Cheesy Should be good.

Willing to help out occasionally when I can and if you want.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 09:10:07 PM »

Unwise to volunteer Dave -you know we'll take you up on that offer!

Olds

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 09:14:15 PM »

That I already know, hence the occasionally bit  Wink

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 09:16:06 PM »

Cheesy Thank you.

panthershaun

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 10:59:28 PM »

feel free to plunder my old ford parts mate, offer still stands for the Y front axle and pair of wires if needed.. only 20 folding delivered...

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
poprodder

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 11:07:16 PM »

wish i was closer.

merv

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 11:20:48 PM »

wish i was closer.

And me, no monkeys by me

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 11:27:56 PM »

Shaun ain't exactly close -he's in Kent, we're in Hampshire.
I've been watching a Pop front axle on Ebay. Started at 3 quid, now up to 160! I'll consult with the Loony One & get back to you Shaun.

triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 03:53:15 AM »

a reliant engine in a fibreglass car?
never catch on

and I wish I was closer!

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
kapri

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 08:22:46 AM »

Shaun ain't exactly close -he's in Kent, we're in Hampshire.
I've been watching a Pop front axle on Ebay. Started at 3 quid, now up to 160! I'll consult with the Loony One & get back to you Shaun.

Bare axle and wishbone sold for 99p on there the other day , keep looking.
kapri

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 08:26:08 AM »

I've a head start on you as I've had a similar plan rattling about in my head for awhile . Already have my front axle ,acquiring my body shortly and was also working on at least Reliant back axle ( very early Ford looking) and was thinking of Reliant engine and box also.

Different style entirely though so should be interesting contrast whilst still working on the same basic idea.

If and when I may actually start a build thread on here.
Plasticpig

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 09:09:34 AM »

Andy.
A while back I was rambling on about doing the same sort of thing with a Rebel. What put me off is that the owner wants £400, because of the rareness of Reliant Rebels now. It is still in his yard, and is fitted with a later 850 lump.

Below is a diagram I found on the net-

http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL933/3516399/9146165/407619098.jpg
Manky & Loony's Model T modified
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 10:23:12 AM »

Mr Spanners also has a Reliant Kitten, (4 wheeled Robin), rolling chassis. We considered re-bodying that to get around the registration thing, but that'd limit what we could do. To be honest, we'd rather build our own chassis from scratch -then we can build in whatever outriggers & cross members we need without worrying about originality.
Having built the Pop, we reckon we're quite capable of laying out a straight & true chassis & Ben, (Chewie), has sent me a set of basic plans for a T to work from. Should be interesting!
Shaun has offered us a model Y Ford front beam & wire wheels. That's more lightweight than the Pop one. Would it be up to the job, using an aluminium Reliant motor Kev? He tells me Triumph Spitfire disc hubs would bolt on?
Ben, did any of Reliant's finest make their way down to your end of the World? 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: