May 17, 2024, 11:06:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vin no  (Read 1675 times)
gpz

« on: March 28, 2011, 08:21:26 PM »

can any one tell what size do the nos have to be for the vin no im looking at buying some no and letter punches but dont know if there is a set
size any help appreciated also is it possible to tig weld s /steel to mild steel im thinking i could have a s /steel plate welded to headstock and get frame powder coated and stamp vin no on when i get one
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:46:43 PM »

Using a plate is frowned on now and in most test stations (SVA) it won't be accepted. They want it stamped into the frame/ headstock.

Size wise I think the minimum is 5mm but I'll check and get back to you

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
gpz

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:58:26 PM »

thanks for that  .how do you get a vin no is it a case off going to nearest vehicle licencing office and what do i need with me just for future reference
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:03:36 PM »

You need to apply to the DVLA for the VIN before the SVA.

Is this a complete one off or was the frame made from a donor vehicle?

If it is a one off new frame (ie it's never been registered) then make sure you tell them. Do not mention donor vehicles or they will want to do an inspection before issuing the vin!

Remember the vin number is for the frame. Nothing else

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:07:56 PM »

Taz & I went to our local office, (Wimbledon, North London). Had to take proof of ID & address each & fill out a form at the counter & they gave us a VIN each.
Our trike builds are on hold for a while, but we were told the numbers were ours, no matter how long we took as they can't be reassigned to anyone else.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:52:17 AM »

i went to my local dvla last week and they wont issue me with one untill its been inspected cause they are assuming i have rebuilt a bike that has a history , i even took a print out of a thread from brit chop that Byzmax and sooze had added to but still no joy , bike must be inspected before they will issue a vin , so i had to build the bike back up again cause it stripped it down to get powder coated once i had the frame stamped  Sad . sooze even went as far as to phone them and tried to explain that it was a one off new build but they still wouldnt budge

listen to Byzmax if its a one off then dont even think about a donor vehicle cause theyll use there massive minds to get inside your head and then mess you up

nabsim

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:42:39 PM »

Think there are more contradictory posts on this subject than anything else when you look around. Seems to completely dependant on your local office and/or who you get to speak to. Some have no problems and ohers are run ragged.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: