May 02, 2024, 04:47:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WELDING  (Read 2384 times)
ALMO

« on: September 07, 2009, 08:27:27 PM »

HI GUYS JUST BOUGHT MYSELF A NEW WELDER A MAG 150R GAS & GASLESS MIG, SO HOPEFULLY WITH THE AID OF A DVD & FEW TIPS FROM YOU LOT I HOPE TO TEACH MYSELF TO WELD. I WONT BE ATTEMPTING A FRAME YET LOL BUT ANY TIPS YOU CAN GIVE ME ON WIRE SIZE & BEST STUFF TO USE ON BUILDING A FRAME & THE BEST PLACES TO BUY WELDING WIRE FROM WOULD BE MUCH APPRICIATED THANKS
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 10:51:01 PM »

Oh..... Where to start.........

See if you can get enrolled at the local college. The do short courses that are very useful.

However between us I'm sure we can help.

Practice Practice Practice is the best way

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
tbone

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:31:22 AM »

Hi Almo, can you do me a favour n turn the Caps lock off please, thanks  Grin.
We`ve never really covered welding, not because its particulaly difficult, it is a skill and like any other it can be learned, i guess the reason we skirt the subject is because its the most crucial part of the frame fabrication and as such its something that has to be right.
Not that there aren`t plenty here that can weld, there are, and some are better welders than others.
I was hesitant when i first posted a pic that showed one of my welds, as it seems some are very quick to criticise, and maybe thats another reason we haven`t said too much about the subject, my own efforts lack somewhat in the asthetic stakes and i no i should work on that side of things more but for the moment, i`m happy knowing they are strong.
As i said, it `s a skill that can be learned, start with the basics, comfortable body position, correct torch position, not panicking when the arc strikes, experiment with different wire feed speeds and heat settings, practice laying a bead in a straight line.....then move on to things like penetration, root gaps and joint prepping, and when YOU are happy with the results your constantly achieving, its time to think about framework.
I`m sure your DVD will be packed with information, but, you cant beat the hands on approach, if you have access to someone that can weld, ask to spend some time with them so they can show you how its done.
I`ll finish this epic post by echoing ByzMax...... Practice practice practice.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:18:40 AM »

I also think it's nigh on impossible to teach a subject like welding by photographs alone. You really need the hands-on experience of using the equipment & getting a feel for it. If you've never welded before in your life I wouldn't dream of encouraging you to dive straight in & start on a frame, but a lot of it's common sense & just ...practice -there's that word again. Buy or borrow a welder, or better still find a mate who's got one that you can spend a few weekends just playing with. Try welding different types of steel, different thicknesses, at different angles, until you find what works for you & what doesn't. You can learn the basics in an afternoon but the skill only comes with experience. Tech' college evening classes are relatively cheap & well worth doing, if only to give you confidence in handling the materials & machines.
I use 0.8mm wire with Argonshield gas in a 150 MIG welder. That'll weld up to 6mm steel plate & welds the 4mm ERW tube we use for frames quite nicely.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
biggeo

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 07:24:56 PM »

i agree with all the comments i like andy use a mig 150 with argonshield gas
im not the neatest welder but there always strong(can always sand)
bit like yourself bought a mig and tried, weld penatration more important than neatness
you can always tidy up a strong weld but not make a neat weld strong if theres no penatration
get some scrap metal and pratice or contact your local college and like me do a night course
one night a week

geo

ride it like you stole it
klogan45

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 06:49:16 PM »

Hello Alamo, they're all right, try a short course then practice, practice, practice. Before I do any welding I get a couple of bits of scrap and practice a bit first. I don't weld a great deal and find that welding some scrap get's my 'hand in'. A mate of mine's uncle was a welder for Rolls Royce and he had a practice every morning before he got down to the 'serious' stuff. I figure that if it was good enough for a professional welder it's good enough for me.
Equally important for me is that I enjoy what I'm doing and don't rush (a bit like sex really!!!! Grin Grin)
Good luck and enjoy
Regards
K

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 07:53:50 PM »

"a bit like sex really!!!!"

-You wear a mask & gloves?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Stephen Mac

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 08:00:11 PM »

does that include blowtorch andy  Grin
klogan45

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 08:02:19 PM »

-You wear a mask & gloves?

Go on Andy, tell me with a straight face and looking me in the eye, that you never have Grin Grin Grin

Anyway,I'm an adult (allegedly) and what I do in my own home is up to me Grin Grin Grin

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: