May 18, 2024, 03:20:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Trike Jacking  (Read 13481 times)
adriandiamond

« on: July 15, 2006, 08:03:11 AM »

Hi Ya'll,

I was sitting in front of the PC this morning reading different posts when a thought entered the other half of my brain. How do you jack up one side of a trike axle (easily) when you get a puncture??

As the wheel only needs to clear  the ground by say a couple of inches, couldn't something like a paddock stand be incorporated into the design somewhere.

What I mean is with a paddock stand you simply push down on the leaver and the bike lifts up at the back, so why couldn't you add 2 single leavers, 1 on either side of the diff box fitted to a bushed bracket that was welded to the axle.
Using 2 singles would mean that you only had to lift one side at a time or alternatively you could join the 2 singles to make 1 large paddock stand and lift the whole back end up easily.

I have added a diagram of sorts on here www.adiessite.piczo.com, just click on trike things 2.

Any views or comments guys?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 08:29:13 AM by adriandiamond » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 09:41:49 AM »

A trike with a handle at the back would be a wheel barrow wouldn't it?!
Not a bad idea. Personally I'd call the AA cos even if I could get the wheel off I wouldn't know how to fix a puncture. I guess you could then hitch a lift to the nearest tyre depot, leaving your trike safely immobilised. Jacking on the axle itself would work best with a rigid frame obviously, otherwise you'd have to jack it up past the suspension travel before the wheel came up off the ground. Think I'd rather lift from under the frame than lifting the whole weight of the trike on the axle tube.
Got to do some work on Flap's this morning, which is sat up on an axle stand in his garage at the moment. Our Reliant trikes are light enough to lift one rear wheel off the ground manually -come to think of it, it's always me who does the lifting!   Angry

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
adriandiamond

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 09:57:36 AM »

A wheel barrow Grin Grin, you haven't seen design no.2 then. Removeable handle and a locating pin to hold small wheel off the ground when not in use.

Sorry to hear you have a drink problem Andy. I on the other hand don't so would be able to replace punctured wheel with a SPARE. Not many tyre places open after 8 o'clock and I'll guaratee you'll get a puncture after this time.

What suspension travel???

"come to think of it, it's always me who does the lifting!" I didn't realise you were that short to be able to do a shoulder lift. Grin Grin   
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 10:04:52 AM »

Drink problem?
What spare?
I'm a strapping 6 footer I'll have you know! If our bodies are temples, mine's a bouncy castle.
A small wheel you put down to lift the trike clear of the ground would be the jockey wheel set-up from a caravan or large trailer wouldn't it?
I'll stick to lifting mine manually & shoving a couple of bricks under it!
Gotta go play tricycles now. Try not to break anything while I'm gone.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 10:06:07 AM »

When I saw the thread title I thought someone had held a gun to your head & nicked your trike!  Cheesy

adriandiamond

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 10:36:38 AM »

Drink problem?
What spare?
I'm a strapping 6 footer I'll have you know! If our bodies are temples, mine's a bouncy castle.
A small wheel you put down to lift the trike clear of the ground would be the jockey wheel set-up from a caravan or large trailer wouldn't it?
I'll stick to lifting mine manually & shoving a couple of bricks under it!
Gotta go play tricycles now. Try not to break anything while I'm gone.

Yeh, having to call out the AA. I'm with the RAC myself (Receiving Alcohol related Councelling).
Wheel barrow with a jockey wheel...........................Nahh.

So you're a six foot tall Mitchelin man then Grin...............Note to self.........add Andy's details to his profile. Just making notes so I know what to look out for incase we go to the same bike show one day.

Andy (Manky Monkey)Profile

Long arms that scrape along the ground,
6' tall
dressed in a "T" shirt promoting Manky Monkey Motors (probably XXXXXL)
lots of spare tyres (Mitchelin Man)
Probably find him sat in a wheel barrow with a crate of beer.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 10:01:12 PM »

So you have met me then!  Grin
This is me test riding Flap's Reliant this afternoon.

adriandiamond

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 07:32:31 AM »

Nice trike that Andy, what colour you doin' it then?? Orange-a-tang Grin Grin Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 08:13:18 AM »

'Tis a cross between Tango orange & Jaffa orange.  Cheesy

adriandiamond

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 01:09:07 PM »

Jaffa Orange, then you could be the soft bit in the middle Grin
adriandiamond

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 05:08:08 PM »

And this is me on my half built trike.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 05:11:22 PM by adriandiamond » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 11:13:11 PM »

What you gonna call it then?

adriandiamond

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 06:07:23 AM »

First of all "it" is not an it, it's a "SHE" and I'll probably call HER "BIG BERTHA".
The paintwork is going to be Army Camouflage (green, brown and beige) and hopefully it will have a Jerry can mounted in a wire cage either side of the back seat over the wheel arches. I'm also gonna make a stencil of a serial number that will be put on the tank and box at the back.

Working on a gun turret today just incase a driver cuts me up. Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 10:10:49 AM »

Grin

adriandiamond

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 09:57:58 PM »

got the seat frame nearly finished today, just the arm rests and back support to put on. Also been looking at seats on ebay but nothing that I fancy yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: