May 15, 2024, 10:39:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53]
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Pig Too  (Read 139530 times)
gsxrsam

« Reply #780 on: March 31, 2010, 07:04:32 AM »

im just wondering if a stud girdle would help on rockers moving, plus i was under the impression contact point of roller was critical rather than close enough and adjusted with shims and different length pushrods to suit...

im a big fan of composite gaskets rather than copper, never had much look with copper gaskets personally..

Sam.
ps.

this is an interesting read mate..

http://www.centuryperformance.com/adjusting-valve-lash-spg-149.html
http://www.thedirtforum.com/pushrodlengths.htm
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:29:14 AM by gsxrsam » Logged

i have decided to live forever or die trying
cunningplan

« Reply #781 on: March 31, 2010, 07:27:44 AM »

I was talking to a young lad at work the other day, he was trying to explain about a damper that made exhausts quieter, did I dismiss him too lightly ?

Yep  Roll Eyes
brock

« Reply #782 on: April 16, 2010, 10:35:37 PM »

sorry guys, missed this when it was posted.

"i was under the impression contact point of roller was critical rather than close enough and adjusted with shims and different length pushrods to suit..."

just playing with you Sam  Grin, the springs are shimmed to common height, I don't know if it shows anywhere in the photos but you might be able to see the different colours at the base of the springs, not sure why but some of the shims are bright polished and some are blued, has no relevance to the marked or measured thickness. After a few runs ( or whenever we are at the track at the same time as the guy with the tool) we will check the spring rates, strip the rocker gear and check the heights again to see how it has all settled in.
   Push rod length is the key to getting the geometry right but as with all things Black Pig it wasn't quite as simple as it could have been. I had lost, missplaced or lent my adjustable rod and didn't really have the time to buy or make another, so, I turned up a couple of bits of bar stock to a length that I knew would be too long with the ends radiused as the push rods and spent a couple of hours blueing the valve tip, fitting it up, rolling the motor over, strip it, machine ten thou' off and go again. When the first one showed signs of reversal I knew that I was within ten thou' of right and machined the second one ten bigger and tried again coming down in fives. As it happened I ended up with a measurement of 8.003 and as 8" is a "standard" they would do. Ordered Thursday night, delivered Monday morning, just the job.

Comp heavy duty 7.8", standard 7.8", two dummies
brock

« Reply #783 on: April 16, 2010, 11:10:47 PM »

The links made interesting reading, the point at which the roller is central to the tip seems to have several different theories applied to it apparently dependant on who your favorite engine builder is ?, aiming for the point of maximum flow, maximum lift or maximum anything else that takes your fancy, I fancy maximum lift and therefor, but not necessarily, against maximum spring weight. in all honesty it's a fine judgement call when the entire swept contact patch is only about 100 thou' wide, but I think we are close  Wink
   On lashing the valves I am firmly in the camp of doing it cold, just don't guess at the figure or trust what anyone else says. I spent a week of evenings running it up to temp and lashing hot then coming back the following day and measuring cold, mess with it a little, fire it up and lash them to spec hot, return the following day etc. I now have a figure that lets me quietly do the job in the morning at the track whilst all around me people are bathing in hot oil and the air is filled with the yelps that signify flesh to exhaust contact. It's also relevant, I think, that my engine won't change temperature by a degree while I'm doing the job whilst it's entirely possible to see 200 degrees in an ali head once it's heat soaked after running up and it'll be giving that off as fast as it can in an attempt to regain a balance with the days ambient temperature, possibly as much as fifty degrees during the time it takes to do the job ? surely that must have an effect on the figures. As always, just an opinion.
brock

« Reply #784 on: April 16, 2010, 11:13:43 PM »

Oh, Tony, I'll see you in the morning, which you'll already know of course as that was yesterday, and we'll see how the next chapter of this saga unfolds
gsxrsam

« Reply #785 on: April 17, 2010, 09:48:11 PM »

shame you dont get oop north more, would be interesting chat  Grin

will take pic of my spares colection tomorrow Wink.

sam

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #786 on: April 21, 2010, 08:42:07 PM »

So...how did the racing go Brock?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
gsxrsam

« Reply #787 on: May 09, 2010, 09:10:29 PM »

spares collection in loft..   Wink

cunningplan

« Reply #788 on: May 10, 2010, 07:13:23 AM »

spares collection in loft..   Wink

Now you've gone and done it now Shocked
cunningplan

« Reply #789 on: May 10, 2010, 07:24:44 AM »

I was talking to a young lad at work the other day, he was trying to explain about a damper that made exhausts quieter, did I dismiss him too lightly ?

Yep  Roll Eyes

and before I forget
brock

« Reply #790 on: May 11, 2010, 11:34:01 PM »

How did the racing go ? it didn't really, had a nice weekend sat in the sun though. Heads are currently away for some machine work and the block is having a couple of repairs that are so hillbilly that I'm not prepared to mention them further  Cheesy. As these are the only two components left untouched from last year it seemed only fair to give them some attention. I think we are now at the bottom of the troubles we have seen and have high hopes for next time out (again !)
   Sam, you are a Bad Man hoarding kit like that, what are the heads, they'm pretty. It would be good to meet sometime, and I'm sure it would be interesting, although that can go two ways, only one of them good  Grin
   And Mate, it took a while, but that's an exhaust damper isn't it
cunningplan

« Reply #791 on: May 12, 2010, 07:18:42 AM »

And Mate, it took a while, but that's an exhaust damper isn't it

yep Wink
gsxrsam

« Reply #792 on: May 12, 2010, 07:40:56 AM »

they are pbm strike force heads with oversize valves, phospher guides etc..

its basically a full top end kit and cam to pop on one of spare engines when i get bottom end sorted on one of em..

need a crank for one as its spun a shell..

brock

« Reply #793 on: September 09, 2010, 10:16:30 PM »

been a while but with less than a week before the Hot Rods the Black thing is safely tucked up in the truck all ready to go and we are in front of the game for once....

.......Oh No, that was all a dream ! with less than a week to go , whilst changing the cam timing and taking the opportunity to swap the gear set back in as I now have a very nice two piece timing cover with adjustable bearing'd cam button, I noticed something amiss at the front of the crank. Pulling the remains of the number one mains bearing out of the front of the block wasn't in the plan. I now have a crank just like Sam's !
   I will pull the crank tomorrow night, or at least Lesley will while I build a new sump, rebuild the oil pump and modify the pickup, but it's not looking good, I will be lucky to save the mains cap let alone the crank. New sump and bearings arrive tomorrow, block goes in the tank tomorrow night, everything else gets spirit washed and inspected Saturday, decisions will be made, Sunday sees the rebuild start, a hundred and sixty odd hours to go, no sleep 'till Long Marston ! 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #794 on: September 11, 2010, 11:44:35 AM »

Ahh, the joys of racing. Wouldn't be the same without the traditional last minute complete strip down & rebuild would it.  Tongue
Good luck guys. Taz & I should be there next Sunday to cheer you on.  Wink

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53]
  Print  

Jump to: