April 28, 2024, 11:34:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Tig  (Read 15702 times)
tbone

Tig
« on: June 26, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »

Well I did it, I went n got me one of them there new fangled inverter thingies!
Tis only a cheap chinese machine but should cope with my needs, only one downside.......I have never tigged or stick welded......yet. I figure the only way to learn is to crack on n do it, I did however foresee one tiny flaw to that plan, when i got frustrated (and I`m sure I will), I`d be tempted to bin it and return to my trusty mig.....so I sold the mig! Now I have to learn to tig  Grin.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:02:05 PM by tbone » Logged

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Cabman77

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 06:59:02 PM »

Tig is same principle as gas welding...................................have you done that?Huh??

Only complication is getting the polarity right for alloys or steels and the power level......................

obviously (this is me talking here) that is a very simplistic definition, best of luck with it, I always had trouble doing it and still can`t get it spot on. Grin Grin Grin Grin

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
spanners

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07:00:02 PM »

you ,SOLD, the mig,, Shocked Shocked  

you  ,,,,,,silly,,,,,,,,  boy  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
tbone

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:06:03 PM »

Tig is same principle as gas welding...................................have you done that?Huh??

Only complication is getting the polarity right for alloys or steels and the power level......................

obviously (this is me talking here) that is a very simplistic definition, best of luck with it, I always had trouble doing it and still can`t get it spot on. Grin Grin Grin Grin

I can cope with simple  Grin. This is only a DC machine so no issue with polarity, means I can`t do aluminium though  Roll Eyes.
I like the idea that it`s a slower more controlled proccess, and no sparks flying around either  Grin

tbone

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 07:08:09 PM »

you ,SOLD, the mig,, Shocked Shocked  

you  ,,,,,,silly,,,,,,,,  boy  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I know, I know. But if I hadn`t, the tig would just be collecting dust in the corner, I know what I`m like  Roll Eyes

Cabman77

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 07:12:09 PM »

It actually looks quite neat. Does it feel flimsy and chinesey or good n solid? how much are you paying for argon? and how much was the unit?.........I could be tempted to start trying with it again  Grin Grin Grin Grin

tbone

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 07:18:22 PM »

I have been a bit dis-organised while sorting this out so I haven`t had chance to fire it up yet.
The first issue was the power supply, this is a 180amp output unit (full power) and will draw 20amps in.
I already had a 16amp supply to the shed for the mig, so I had to check the wiring size, change the mcb in the consumer unit and change the 16amp socket for a 32amp one. With all that going on, I have yet to find time to get any filler rods or tungstans, so thats a job for tomorrow  Roll Eyes

Cabman77

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 07:25:58 PM »

better to wire welders into a fused spur than a plug  Wink Wink Wink Wink

tbone

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 07:26:51 PM »

It actually looks quite neat. Does it feel flimsy and chinesey or good n solid? how much are you paying for argon? and how much was the unit?.........I could be tempted to start trying with it again  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Only weighs 9kgs! I`m told thats the new technology involved, no big transformers anymore.
The unit itself feels ok, and theres a nice long lead on the torch, I`m not best chuffed with the switch as thats only cable tied to the torch, as a foot pedal would be tons better anyway, I`ll leave it as it is for the time being but may adapt it later.
Price wise £200 + £12 p&p, cheap for what it is. I know alot of people will be scoffing at the fact it`s a cheapo chinese unit, but.......... It`ll be fine for me to learn with and I don`t do tons of welding these days anymore so i`m happy with it.

tbone

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 07:29:34 PM »

better to wire welders into a fused spur than a plug  Wink Wink Wink Wink

Considered that...decided against it on the grounds that with the commando plug and socket, I could use an extension lead if I had to weld outside the shed  Wink

Cabman77

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 07:33:19 PM »

Only weighs 9kgs! I`m told thats the new technology involved, no big transformers anymore.
The unit itself feels ok, and theres a nice long lead on the torch, I`m not best chuffed with the switch as thats only cable tied to the torch, as a foot pedal would be tons better anyway, I`ll leave it as it is for the time being but may adapt it later.
Price wise £200 + £12 p&p, cheap for what it is. I know alot of people will be scoffing at the fact it`s a cheapo chinese unit, but.......... It`ll be fine for me to learn with and I don`t do tons of welding these days anymore so i`m happy with it.

If it does what it says on the tin then cheap is the best thing anyway. Best of luck with it geezer. Grin Grin Grin Grin

tbone

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 07:44:10 PM »

Thank you  Grin.
I`ll report back when i`ve used it!
Sorry, I forgot you asked about gas....tis my age ya know  Grin
Anyway, I have closed my BOC account and will be seeing a local supplier about Argon. I am expecting to pay a one off bottle deposit of around £50 and the same again for the gas, then just like the old calor gas bottles, you take your empty back, swap it for a full one and just pay the price for the gas.

WAYNE999

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »

the best advice i can give is keep your tungsten sharp keep it protruding from about 6mm or1/4 inch from the ceramic for between 1mm to 3mm i use a 1.6mm (16swg) tungsten dont get too close with the tungsten or it will stick (if your anything like me) youll get angry and chuck a wobbler people may disagree but for mild steel at work we use 304 stainless filler and 316 stainless for stainless work it just seems to flow better and you dont get the porosity that can happen with mild gas welding rods be patient practice and it will come to you hope this helps

Oh bugger we need a bigger hammer
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 08:59:29 PM »

TIG? Tis the work o' the devil! Mark my words, no good will come o' it.  Shocked

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
spanners

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 09:08:29 PM »

the old, wise monkey has spoken again  tiz the devils hand that steers the tig  Cheesy Cheesy

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: