April 28, 2024, 11:33:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Supercharers...  (Read 2984 times)
Blower-Hearse

« on: June 03, 2011, 02:26:49 PM »

I'll make this a very quick one because i dont want to type pages of text if no one has experience...

Has anyone here fitted a blower to a previously non blown engine. I'd like to talk about what you did, how you did it, and how it worked...

If you are thinking of thigs like this;

http://www.oldstox.com/images/BT%27s/Travel%20agent%20pink%20blown.jpg
Supercharers...

lets talk....
WAYNE999

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 06:24:46 PM »

some time last year practical classics supercharged an austin healey fitted with a bl a-series lump i know its only a little engine but the principles will be the same you could possibly find back issues on the web site or by posting a wanted ad here

Oh bugger we need a bigger hammer
Blower-Hearse

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:07:54 PM »

some time last year practical classics supercharged an austin healey fitted with a bl a-series lump i know its only a little engine but the principles will be the same you could possibly find back issues on the web site or by posting a wanted ad here

I have several years of PC magazine (I subscribe), I don't remember that ? Oh was it a Froggie? I'll have a search through my old issues...
WAYNE999

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 09:01:58 PM »

no it was a green spridget with a yellow racing stripe that had previously had a k-series engine i only buy it every now and again and my dad gets them after im done ill look at his tomorrow and see if there is one with him and let you know when it was printed

phunkie hiboy

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:52:32 PM »

I'll make this a very quick one because i dont want to type pages of text if no one has experience...

Has anyone here fitted a blower to a previously non blown engine. I'd like to talk about what you did, how you did it, and how it worked...

If you are thinking of thigs like this;

http://www.oldstox.com/images/BT%27s/Travel%20agent%20pink%20blown.jpg
Supercharers...

lets talk....

The answer is yes, as an example here's one:-    Ford Pinto + Eaton/Mercedes M45 Blower =quite a simple conversion and a quick little car........................

http://usera.ImageCave.com/phunkie%20hiboy/Picture%20006_(640_x_480).jpg.jpg
Supercharers...

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
Blower-Hearse

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 07:10:34 PM »

Wayne you are a true Gent, many thanks.

Phunkie.  Ok so here is the short description. I am intending to use triple 2" S.U's a Eaton M112 and a XK 4.2 Daimler Jag engine.   The Jaguar people are convinced it wont work, I say bollox. It will. Oh and this will be what powers my DS420 Hearse...  I want to use a classic (Jaguar) engine, the Eaton M112 (Jaguar) Blower  and a (Jaguar) triple manifold from a MK10 or E-type.

I'll try to upload my Excel spreadsheet of equations.

What was the CR on the Engine you have shown below, was the head gasket uprated ? Did you weld from mild steel any of the manifolds, or are they all cast Ali? Have you fitted the bypass actuator valve [i think i can see it?]? How many BHP above standard does it produce, Is it inter-cooled and are they before blower or (more likely) after blower but before injectors?  Any other appropriate information gratefully received...

There may be more questions....  Wink

WAYNE999

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 09:01:44 PM »

Now this was about 9 or 10 years ago but i was told by a bloke who said he was a mechanic by trade (I know its sounding a bit dodgy) that a forced induction engine has its compression lowered by fitting a thicker head gasket or by fitting(I Huh know it sounds a bit iffy)2 gaskets

phunkie hiboy

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 10:03:36 PM »

Wayne you are a true Gent, many thanks.

Phunkie.  Ok so here is the short description. I am intending to use triple 2" S.U's a Eaton M112 and a XK 4.2 Daimler Jag engine.   The Jaguar people are convinced it wont work, I say bollox. It will. Oh and this will be what powers my DS420 Hearse...  I want to use a classic (Jaguar) engine, the Eaton M112 (Jaguar) Blower  and a (Jaguar) triple manifold from a MK10 or E-type.

I'll try to upload my Excel spreadsheet of equations.

What was the CR on the Engine you have shown below, was the head gasket uprated ? Did you weld from mild steel any of the manifolds, or are they all cast Ali? Have you fitted the bypass actuator valve [i think i can see it?]? How many BHP above standard does it produce, Is it inter-cooled and are they before blower or (more likely) after blower but before injectors?  Any other appropriate information gratefully received...
There may be more questions....  Wink

Starting with the last paragraph first, the compression was stock, the head gasket was stock genuine Ford. The inlet manifold is ally and was modified, as we didn't require a ram effect due to the forced induction. The most inportant thing is to have a byepass valve, they are very simple in construction and in their operation. This was an injected engine (easier to set up) and yes we did have an small intercooler (although on that application not totally necessary) between the blower and the plenum. And in answer to an age old question, how much bhp? I don't know is the simple answer. It was a lot quicker than just a N/A pinto injection.
Power is however dependant on a couple of things. 1 compression ratio, 2 blower speed. The faster you drive the blower the more volume/pressure it produces up to a point where it can be driven faster, but doesn't make anymore pressure. On average, you can make about 40% more power than the standard output with a correctly set up unit.
Have a troll around this site and it'll give a better idea of the technical side of them..... http://www.capa.com.au/eaton_mp112_4th.htm
Right back to the begining, the blower on you application will require to be fitted between the carb(s) and the inlet manifold (modern superchargers are designed to work dry, i.e. no fuel passes through them). The SU is an excellent carb to use in a draw through set up, and has been used succesfully for many years including the ones on "Travel Agent" (pictured).

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
WAYNE999

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 07:11:50 PM »

sorry old boy cant find the issue i saw it in but it definatly really was there im  positive i didnt dream it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: