May 02, 2024, 09:11:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steering stop advice..urgent ..please  (Read 2244 times)
RODeo

« on: April 30, 2011, 05:14:19 AM »

Hi All
    Been reading the thread regarding steering lock requirements for msva ,got me thinking.........
  Seems to me a trike would require a lot more lock than a bike to steer either out on the road ,or for tight manouvering so what angle is acceptable for the steering to be "stopped "at? i.e. how far should it lay to one side? Dont laugh..Im not a bike person,and have never bothered to look at a bike for this!
  Reason Im asking is that I want to modify the steering stop right at the last minute before I paint the frame (today!) by fitting nylon "button" ends to my steering stop to avoid paint chipping,so may as well alter the stop at the same time,if it isnt correct. Any advice appreciated!
             Rod
zakboy

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 06:46:59 AM »

hi rod, not sure the angle would mater or not,as long as your bottom yolk dont touch the frame, and the top one dont touch your tank if your tank is up front like a bike,as eather would be a mot failure

Give me the strength to except the things in life i can not change
RODeo

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 07:51:59 AM »

Thanks......so the max amount of travel I can get then? I have no front tank,so I'll check it doesnt foul anything else.Hmmmm..I may try to thread the ends of the stop to fit a bolt so that it could be adjustable.

Rod
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:53:44 AM by RODeo » Logged
Cabman77

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 08:00:21 AM »

it`s purely a matter of personal choice though most people would go for the maximum they could get, notwithstanding the limits Zakboy has mentioned already.

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
zakboy

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 08:02:35 AM »

thats what i did on my gs with wide glide yolkes, just went to the max just before it fouled any thing
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:31:45 AM by zakboy » Logged

RODeo

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 08:30:04 AM »

ok thanks guys
RODeo

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 06:26:26 PM »

quick update....Have now chopped off the ends of the steering stop to allow for thickness(about 5mm) of the nylon bump stops on each end, I will turn up later.Have drilled and threaded the steering  stops too . This will allow me to either stick the bumpstops in to the ends with the thread as a good 'key' for the adhesive ,or may thread the nylon,not sure yet. Ive also added a bracket to the headstock that will allow me to use a pin about 1/2" diam ,cross-drilled on the end for a padlock,this will allow the forks to lock in a fully turned position.A right pain to get it all to line up!Glad I did this all before tomorrows paint,as I had to fill and prime the areas after grinder scars and weld sparks burning the u/coat!
 So thanks once again guys for quick response to my panic!

Rod
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:28:39 PM by RODeo » Logged
zakboy

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 07:00:26 PM »

glad to hear you now have it sorted rod. Wink

Cabman77

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 07:19:25 PM »

what size thread are you using on the bumpstops? If it 6mm then drill a hole in the nylon 6mm diameter and I`ll pop up with the helicoil kit. Makes a good strong thread in nylon. Used to do this on proccess machinery and never had one give up on me. Grin Grin Grin Grin

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
RODeo

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 07:45:29 PM »

Thanks for the offer Cabman. The bumpstop I will machine will be about 1/2" diam ,and about 5mm thick it will have a piece protruding from the back about 3/8" long that I will thread 6mm diam to fit in to threaded hole,so no helicoil needed. (but youre welcome to come over anyway.... BBQ?)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:47:01 PM by RODeo » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: