April 26, 2024, 12:43:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Reliant Disc brake conversion  (Read 242678 times)
tbone

« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2008, 01:34:09 PM »

Any lever will work, depending how hard its pulled lol, i think you`ll find most OE car levers are of a similier size, but it is time to start thinking about mounting points for the lever and cable connections to it. I always trawl the local breakers yard, its the old fanshioned type were you go round ad have to remove the bits yourself.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Hagar

« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2008, 03:09:53 PM »

Evening , I was thinking more of compatability with the golf brake cables without too much messing about to get it conected (ie .. shorter cables connect up and away you go  Grin )  ....

cheers  ..  Hagar

" When you have to kill a man , it costs nothing to be polite. "  .. Winston Churchill
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2008, 12:16:42 PM »

Hiya Hagar,
I've got a Leyland Metro handbrake on my own trike, simply cos it was fairly short so would fit in a confined space & also has a contoured grip, (dimpled, like a Golf ball), which makes it easier to operate with gloves on.
Taz's trike will use a stainless steel aftermarket lever, bought from an autojumble stall earlier this year, (check her trike build thread for a photo). Whatever you decide to use, the cables will more than likely need shortening to suit. VW Golf cables end in a short length of threaded bar for adjustment. Easy enough to do, either with a screw-on, solderless nipple, or a looped cable end & a clamp, or as I did, send 'em off to "Speedy Cables" & get them professionally done.
Most older style handbrake levers finish in a simple bolt hole at the bottom of the lever. All you need to do is make up a round bar to pass through that with holes cross-drilled either side to take the ends of the cables, or a T shaped plate that will bolt onto the lever with holes in for the cables. Anything that attaches the cables to the lever & still allows free movement of said lever, as well as adjustment of the cable, will do the job.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Simple Simon

Champion Air Rider

« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2008, 11:39:36 AM »

Huh Stoopid question, but are the plates handed? and if so do you just turn the template over or what?

It does look to me that they are handed and to do this you just reverse the template, but being a complete novice thought I would ask.

Many thanks and grovels. Wink

I will do it! I will do it! I will do it! I will do it! ........
well in a minute.. or... tomorrow..... OK maybe next week!
tony b

« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2008, 04:11:30 PM »

take care when using the template ,the flat part on the template does not always line up with each individual axel ,i just cut the plate fully rounded and ground it off once fitted to the axel.

it wasnt me ,you cant prove it;
tbone

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2008, 05:21:31 PM »

Huh Stoopid question, but are the plates handed? and if so do you just turn the template over or what?

It does look to me that they are handed and to do this you just reverse the template, but being a complete novice thought I would ask.

Many thanks and grovels. Wink
Yes they are handed but its not a problem. If your going for the mk1 version then simply make two the same and turn the plate over when you fit it. The mk2 plates differ due to the recess cut out, again the same template can be used for the shape and hole centres, just ensure the recess is made on opposite sides (the outer faces) of your plates.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:23:47 PM by tbone » Logged

Simple Simon

Champion Air Rider

« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2008, 11:09:48 AM »

Many thanks Mr Techy guy T-bone Grin Grin

I will do it! I will do it! I will do it! I will do it! ........
well in a minute.. or... tomorrow..... OK maybe next week!
brains

« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2008, 10:48:38 PM »

Hi just starting this conversion on my trike , any advice regarding the removal of the hubs ....do they come off easy with a puller ....what sort of puller is best? . I know it is a odd question to ask but any advice would be welcome thanks
tbone

« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2008, 10:59:30 PM »

Hi just starting this conversion on my trike , any advice regarding the removal of the hubs ....do they come off easy with a puller ....what sort of puller is best? . I know it is a odd question to ask but any advice would be welcome thanks
Hi, Welcome to the site and the home of this conversion.
Seems an obvious thing for me to say , but yes, all jobs are easier if the right tools are used, in the past, forum members have tried all sorts of ways to shift stubborn hubs, including whacking them with an axe  Roll Eyes.
The general concensous seems to be tho, that some will fall off whilst others wont and your not gonna know till you try. I`d start with a 3 legged hub puller, then move onto a slide hammer, if that dont shift it then your looking at gettin them pressed off.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2008, 11:00:15 PM »

Hello Brains -& welcome to Mankydom.  Wink
Best tool to use? A gurt big 'ammer in my experience! The hubs fit on a tapered shoulder -as they're bolted up they ride up the taper until they're wedged tight. If you can access one, a hydraulic bench press is my favourite. Like a glorified bottle jack, you can stand the shaft upright in it & wind the piston down on the centre of the shaft, pushing it out of the hub. They can tale up to 30 tons of pressure to shift though & usually go with a hell of a bang when they finally part from the shaft. Most decent back street garages will have a press.

tbone

« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2008, 11:06:15 PM »

hey look, two replys, typed at the same time and coming up with the same answer! steady on, we are almost looking professional  Grin

brains

« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2008, 11:13:40 PM »

Hi and thanks for the info....It looks like I may need the remove the shafts   do they remove easy ? sorry never stripped one down before regards brains ( I used to work for thunderbirds puppets a long time ago so all my brains have been used up)
tbone

« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2008, 11:35:55 PM »

The shafts are located into the diff via the splined ends which locate into the diff wheels, again a few sharp whacks with something suitable will pop them out. take a look at the exploded view axle pic, posted in this section.

brains

« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2008, 11:44:48 PM »

thanks again just found the exploded view on the site , so ok I will get stuck in this week with my big hammer and have a go... just had a bit of luck bought two new nova front discs on ebay for £2 for both plus £10.50 postage  so I am on my way to be able to stop my trike at last  Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2008, 12:32:38 AM »

Professional?
Harrr, ha, ha, ha!!!  Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: