March 28, 2024, 11:05:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Reliant Disc brake conversion  (Read 237213 times)
yoda
Administrator

« on: August 08, 2005, 04:09:11 PM »

http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/Trikespageimages/discbrake/disc.htm

http://www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk
a saveloy of the first order
A self propelling luggage cappacity system
Officially a lady of the night
owner of 'Yoda's magnificent emporium of snappingness'
and light bulb mogul of the Midlands
Ziggy

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 02:48:46 PM »

Is there any chance that the template show below could be made with exact dimensions, so that I (or any other member) could take it to an engineering company and get them to make it from that template ?

Cheeky sod arn't I..... Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 09:00:02 PM »

Yup! I've got a Reliant axle sat in the garage at the moment so I'll try to remember to take some measurements tomorrow. It's nothing special -just bolts to the 4 drum back-plate mounting holes on the end of the axle tube. The hole in the centre's big enough for the hub to fit through & small enough to retain the bearing in the end of the axle & the 2 top holes just accept the carrier bracket from the VW Golf calipers. T'ain't difficult really!  Wink

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Ziggy

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 07:10:47 AM »

Yup! I've got a Reliant axle sat in the garage at the moment so I'll try to remember to take some measurements tomorrow.

Thanks Manky, ever since I saw the link that Sue put up on CB, I knew thats the route I wanted to take, and besides, it'll look a damn sight better than the drums, even though I've had them blasted and are nice and shiney now.... Wink

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 08:05:42 AM »

Since writing the piece for 100% Biker I've discovered Audi A4 & A6 calipers will bolt directly to the VW Golf carrier brackets. They've got slightly bigger pistons & pads &, being a newer car, might be easier to get hold of.

toad

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 12:25:28 PM »

to do the above you will need to use the mk2 golf caliper carriers! and the later calipers! they are a straight swap!!! and really work much better than the standard gti ones. listed below are the ones that will fit!
audi a4-a6
volks golf mk5 onwards
seat alhambra
seat toledo
volks sharon
plus a few more that i cant think of right now!
oh an one last thing! you must use the pads for that specific caliper. or you gonna end up with a scraping noise from the disc area although the mk2 pads fit they do not have an anti rattle spring fitted! as i found out  other than that its just the same set up that andy did in the first place i,ll try an post a piccy later take care toad!!! Kiss

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
toad

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 12:34:13 PM »

tried to post piccy but our website wont allow me to remove piccys so look at www.trike shack.com take care toad!

toad

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 12:35:08 PM »

www.trikeshack.com

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 02:13:04 PM »

Thanks Toad. I'll get Yoda to sort out a link on our Links page when he gets a spare minute.
Any chance of a few piccies & some words on your supercharged Goldwing trike for the Motors section?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 07:11:32 PM »

Mr Saddlebags, you there?
I've measured up the caliper mounting plates on Flap's trike so am ready for you to make some up when you are. PM me or email me cos I've run out of mobile phone credit!
Your payment of one Reliant axle is sat under a Reliant on Ska Man's driveway waiting for you to remove it!

saddlebags

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 08:05:02 PM »

Is there a drawing to accompany those measurements Mr Mankster?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 08:17:37 PM »

Sort of! Yeah, I made a paper template from my last set before swapping them with Critch for his old Sportster tank, but the hole positions were a bit iffy so have checked them. As asked here , if anyone can transfer my scribbles to CAD or Photoshop or whatever & produce a full size drawing we'll post it here for people to download.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 11:24:37 PM »

Look at these beauties!
The latest components to roll off the Saddlebags production line. After shaking his head at my fag packet diagram & recoiling in horror from my Christmas cracker micrometer, Saddly Bloke's come up with these gorgeous rear brake caliper mounting plates for the Reliant axle disc brake conversion. They're machined from 10mm thick aluminium & recessed to sit over the end of the axle tube. Very, very nice. Thanks mate. In true MMMotors fashion, 4 sets of these have been bartered for an axle for saddlebags' planned trike project.
Look out for a full sized CAD drawing of these on the site soon -the definitive measurments in the form of a downloadable drawing that can be printed out & used as a paper template for readers to produce their own copies.
This particular pair are destined for the guy who MOT'd my van, in payment for the test. 

Wulfgar

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 03:45:16 PM »

Very very nice work.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 10:35:56 PM »

Yeah, a bit sad to get excited over a lump of ally I know, but them's puurdy!
All our previous ones have been cut from flat steel plate, between 5 & 7mm thick, but the ally's easier for SaddleBags to get hold of & machine & the extra thickness allows him to recess them for a much nicer fit. He's got a CAD drawing with all the relevant measurements on it, so we'll get it onsite soon with a couple of photos to show how it fits. Although the caliper hangers are all the same, the calipers themselves vary slightly from one model to another, so the curved top of the plates should allow clearance for all models.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: