March 28, 2024, 03:04:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Reliant Disc brake conversion  (Read 237226 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #375 on: October 26, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »

Sounds like the right plan Mike. Do the job properly & it won't need doing again.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
stumpy

« Reply #376 on: October 26, 2015, 05:13:45 PM »

So your getting it machined with bearings and collar and back plate on shaft ! ??

stumpy can't voice his opinion here
Hadfield_mike

« Reply #377 on: October 28, 2015, 11:37:16 AM »

I thought he'd have to remove the back plate as it's loose but it was fine.  He just wedged it up against the back of the hub and taped it just to hold it but it didn't move at all anyway.  Got the hub face machined from gripping the half shaft in the chuck with the back pate between the hub and bearing.  Then bolted the disc up against the hub with the wheel nuts and clocked the disc face of the disc.  It was spot on.  Sadly when I fitted the half shafts back into the casing last night and clocked it in situ it wasn't so good but still close enough and way better than previous.
I thought by leaving the backing plates on I'd save myself the job of removing the hubs again and disturbing the alignment, it was a good idea but getting my fingers behind the disc to get the bolts into the casing was a bit fiddly for my fingers.  Got them on though, nipped up and a test spin with the carrier on.  New MK4 calipers arrived yesterday, masked up and received first coat of paint last night.  Wheels are away being powder coated too.  It's all coming together now.  Need to get some brake hoses and then have a look at the handbrake system and consider how to lock both wheels rather than just the one that was previously done with the reliant drums.
Red calipers and dark grey alloys.  After all this work I want them noticed.......
merv

« Reply #378 on: October 28, 2015, 05:41:16 PM »

What paint are you using on the callipers ?

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
stumpy

« Reply #379 on: October 28, 2015, 06:27:55 PM »

Red merv

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #380 on: October 28, 2015, 08:27:31 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Beware the Ides of March, But!
hunter

« Reply #381 on: October 28, 2015, 09:18:59 PM »

Grin Nice one stumo.

I
Hadfield_mike

« Reply #382 on: October 29, 2015, 08:21:13 AM »

Just standard cheap red caliper spray paint.  About 8 quid a tin on eBay.  I'm hoping it lasts but if not I'll have to take them off for a rub down and a coat of better quality stuff.  Only got one more rally this year and then the trike will be back in the garage for the other jobs I want done on it anyway.
Managed to get the discs drilled at the machine shop before machining them so drilled through the hole by hand to drill out the hub then tapped at M6 for a countersink type bolt.  It's not much but should hold the disc in place when the wheel nuts come off for the wheels to go on.
merv

« Reply #383 on: October 29, 2015, 05:04:54 PM »

Red merv

I didn't ask what couloir Tongue

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
stumpy

« Reply #384 on: October 30, 2015, 05:29:32 PM »

Red merv

I didn't ask what couloir Tongue

Lol lol loo olol hop hop back on chair what does that say is that Gloucestershire slang for thanks stump ? Or French for I knew it was red all along

Hadfield_mike

« Reply #385 on: February 02, 2016, 09:33:55 AM »

I'm sure you've all seen and read enough to know this job inside out by now.  I finished my conversion a few months back in time for the rally but it took a bit longer to get the air out when bleeding so they weren't right.  Eventually got it though and now they work amazing.  Still using the original rear master but it's more than enough for the job.  They have plenty of power and no issues with heat causing them to fade out like the old drums when I had the trailer on the back.
Here's a few photos I've taken during the job.  I got the old wheels tidied up so the finished job looks good too.
Hadfield_mike

« Reply #386 on: February 02, 2016, 09:35:51 AM »

Removing the hub to be machined ready for the nova front discs.....
Hadfield_mike

« Reply #387 on: February 02, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »

I foolishly got the wrong discs.  Should have been 10mm nova discs, I got the 12mm ones.  It was a quick job to open up the inside of the carriers with a grinder then dremmel and the calipers had no trouble opening up far enough for the pads to fit in.
Hadfield_mike

« Reply #388 on: February 02, 2016, 09:42:07 AM »

The finished job.  I'm impressed with the performance and the added bonus is they look good.  A few lessons during the job but well worth it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #389 on: February 02, 2016, 01:00:53 PM »

Another happy triker Smiley
Looking good Mike.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27
  Print  

Jump to: