April 19, 2024, 04:08:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: electrolysis-rust removal  (Read 3432 times)
Al

« on: March 20, 2011, 02:54:28 PM »

i came across this elecrolysis
    http://www.htpaa.org.au/article-electro.php
and read it and seen what it does and am intrested in trying to set something up anyone on here use it or could maybe translate into english how to set it up please it seems ideal for getting rid of rust
al
tbone

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »

I love this method.
Dead easy....
you need....                    A plastic container, large enough to hold your rusty part.
                                    Water.
                                    Battery charger.
                                    Soda crystals, (or washing soda), bicarbonate of soda also works.
                                    A piece of scrap metal plate to use as a conducter
                                    Your rusty item.

Fill the container with water, enough to cover your rusty item, mix in a couple of spoons full of the crystals.
Attach the NEGATIVE clamp of the battery charger to the rusty bit and drop it in the water, the NEGATIVE clamp can touch the water or be immersed in it, no problem.
On the opposite side of your container sits the scrap piece of metal with the POSITIVE battery clamp attached. DO NOT ALLOW THE POSITIVE CLAMP TO CONTACT WITH THE WATER, it will get eaten away.
Your rusty item and the scrap piece must be facing each other, so a flat piece of plate is best.
Plug your charger in and turn it on.
It`ll start to give off small bubbles straight away.
Leave it running for a few hours, come back, turn the charger off then check your rusty item...no more rust.
You will have to turn your rusty item around and do it again because it only works on the side facing the metal plate.
DO NOT BREATH IN THE FUMES that are given off from the mixture.
DO NOT SMOKE, GRIND OR WELD  anywhere near the container, not only are the fumes toxic, they are also highly flammable.
Your no longer rusty item will now have a black coating, wash this off then dry thoroughly.
If your gonna paint your item, get a coat on straight away, if not, give it a light coat of oil, if you don`t, it will start to rust again almost immediatly  Wink
Have fun  Grin

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 05:22:13 PM by tbone » Logged

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Cabman77

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 05:23:08 PM »

basically it`s a reverse plating method. We used to use this method to copper plate carb tops and floatbowls using old pennies as an anode.

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
Al

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 05:47:26 PM »

thanks very much for this my son tried to explain this with this formula and that taking oxygen out and putting oxygen out whatever english thanks both of you tbone and cabman will try it tonight and let yo know how i get on
al
Cabman77

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 06:00:31 PM »

try it on a really dirty "coppr" coin and the results will astound you and make things easier to understand how it all works.

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
toad

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 10:06:34 PM »

easy rust removel ! and this does work immerse your rusty part in vinegar for 48 hrs  Grin

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
Al

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:15:06 PM »

tried the battery charger but cant get it of the safety mode mate coming over tomorrow with another to try take some photos and then will tyr the vinegar as well see which one works the best and let you know thanks
JonnoSkye83

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 04:54:19 AM »

not that you need to know but the fumes given off will be Oxygen and Hydrogen, so yeah... highly flammable...  we used to do this in college to collect the gases,  but electroplating and anodising are also some stuff you can do with this set up.

triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 07:50:33 AM »

try molassas. i'll find a link for ya

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: