April 24, 2024, 08:43:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: trike axle ( sj410?)  (Read 8800 times)
klogan45

« on: June 25, 2006, 09:32:27 AM »

Hi Guys,
New boy here, looking for some help.
I'm triking a Yam 535 and can not get a reliant axle so.....
I want to use a suzuki sj410 rear axle... is there a problem doing this?
Can anyone tell me the direction of rotation of the shaft on the 535 and the sj410 axle...... I don't want to shorten the wrong side of the axle.
OR can anyone tell me how to check the rotation on the bike and the axle without stripping the bike down ?
Thanks for the help.....
Basic and simple questions to you seasoned veterans but not so simple for us new boys.
Thanks again
Take care, have fun, ride safe.
Regards

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 09:52:16 AM »

Confused me then! Just posted a reply to this enquiry then it came up again in another section! Check the Trike Tech bit. 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 10:21:43 PM »

I don't know for sure about the particular components but usually if looking at the rear of the bike  engine the prop is on left then you will have to turn the axle over. The only real way of checking is to test them.  Smiley

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 10:24:27 PM »

First Yam I triked I cut the axle on the wrong side cos no-one told me to turn it over -didn't even occur to me.

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 11:00:02 PM »

You are not alone!!!! A mate of mine did that and did not realise until he did his first test drive Shocked

Stuck it in gear and reversed back into the garage  Grin

Yes I laughed but I would have made the same mistake if I had not seen him do it first!!! Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 11:09:59 PM »

Grin  There's a lot more info about now & plenty of clued up builders, but when I did my first one I was on my own really. No-one to advise me so plenty of stupid mistakes! The custom scene's definitely getting more professional now isn't it. You don't see so many deathtrap creations as you used to.

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 11:17:11 PM »

Yeah! I think sites like this and Desperates site help a great deal.

Although there is a tendancy for people to base a business around converting bikes to trikes without lowering seat height or changing handle bar set up etc.

Because of that although they have good welding and look good they can tend to have the potential to handle very badly and can be a problem that way.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 11:23:00 PM »

Yup. I must admit I'm not a big fan of bike/trike conversions. One of the nicest I've seen, (we've been here before in another thread), is Biker Gran's GT750. It's in the Motors, 3 wheels section. The proportions look right & she says it handles really well. I prefer a purpose built frame myself, whether it's bike or car engined.

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 11:31:43 PM »

Saw that. Looks good and if handles well thats good.

many moons ago a bloke was involved in  converting a goldwing. The bloke wanted to maintain the look of the bike and  despite being advised against it insisted. He did not like the amount of effort required to ride it when completed and I hated it Sad

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 11:47:43 PM »

Yeah, I keep telling people they need wider bars to give more leverage for cornering but unless you've ridden one you wouldn't know. I often read about trikers having problems with steering shake when shutting the throttle off but I've always run about 45 degrees of rake on mine & never had the problem. New builders always assume it's going to handle just like a bike but a trike's a totally different kettle of herring isn't it.

adriandiamond

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 09:05:58 PM »

Hi Guys,
New boy here, looking for some help.
I'm triking a Yam 535 and can not get a reliant axle so.....
I want to use a suzuki sj410 rear axle... is there a problem doing this?
Can anyone tell me the direction of rotation of the shaft on the 535 and the sj410 axle...... I don't want to shorten the wrong side of the axle.
OR can anyone tell me how to check the rotation on the bike and the axle without stripping the bike down ?
Thanks for the help.....
Basic and simple questions to you seasoned veterans but not so simple for us new boys.
Thanks again
Take care, have fun, ride safe.
Regards
K 

Hi there, I'm just in the middle of building my trike using a reliant back axle and prop shaft. I know you say you can't get hold of one but just in case you do you might want to have a look at my sitewhere I have put loads of pictures and write ups as I've been going along. The address is www.adiessite.piczo.com and click on Trike things.
Hope this helps
Adrian
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 09:29:04 PM »

Will have to have a chat about borrowing some of that info for this 'ere site some time Adey! With full credit to you of course. The more info out there for people to access the better I think. There's no real excuse for building unsafe machines any more is there. Plenty of advice available if people want it.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 12:20:29 AM »

Biker Gran's GT750. It's in the Motors, 3 wheels section. The proportions look right & she says it handles really well. I prefer a purpose built frame myself, whether it's bike or car engined.

Gt550 actually.  It handles ok but it does tend to shake it's head if you take one hand off the bars below 25mph.  But I've got so used to it I don't really notice, and it was a cheap conversion and keeps me on the road!  Purpose built frames are fine but they take a while, don't they MM?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 11:20:06 PM »

Grin

Desperate

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 08:20:49 PM »

Handlebar shake on shutdown (30 mph and below) is common and cured by fitting steering damper. It happens on most bike trikes and I don't have a clue why, even after 20 years of building. Some do, some don't. Moving on, anyone know the final drive (Axle) ratio of an FJ 410, as I too want to use one.

www.chrisireland.co.uk  THE DESPERATE DAN WEBSITE
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: