April 29, 2024, 02:01:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About time  (Read 1865 times)
yx600

« on: December 21, 2010, 12:59:13 PM »

I know I've not been here in a long time, but I've always read what everyone else is up to. I've threatened it long enough, I'm finally going to go to 3.

The repeated heavy winters here in Wales, coupled with dodgy joints have pushed me to commit to triking the FJ11

Having seen it done in a number of ways, the way I seem to prefer is the bevel box and standard axle method, so I'm not looking for hens teeth axles.

Now I'm a little confudled about the ratios. The lower the number the better I guess? But I want to run large chunky off road tyres, using them as the suspension. The intention is the conversion will be a bolt in affair (Bitzman's trike interests me). I'd prefer this method as I'm looking to keep the bike running as long as possible before the conversion (its my daily ride) For my first build I think this might fit with my abilities and keeping cost to a minimum.

I'm aware of Chris Ireland's design for mounting the bevel box from an XS, but I've also seen a conversion that used a bevel drive from a shaft drive. Anyone else done it this way?

I'm still in the planning stage, perusing t'internet for inspiration with my design, so all advice welcome.

This is the fella I'm converting  Grin
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4134/4763844350_baf2c43066_z.jpg
About time

The Artful Bodger
Al

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 01:47:12 PM »

i like it the way it is yx600 only thing that spoils it is the indicators are you going down this route or something tootaly different al
yx600

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 04:20:42 PM »

Being too lazy to clean, I'm also too lazy to take the indicators off! Besides, I'm attached to the 'housebricks'

For now it will literally be a 3 wheel version of what you see there, luggage rack, ammo cans anything else that makes it more practical.

That reminds me, I must get round to changing my username here - I haven't had the yx for 5 years!

Cheers

Chris

The Artful Bodger
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »

Hiya Chris. Nice to see you back matey.  Wink Still running the business with your Dad?
Have you had a look at ZakBoy's current bike/trike conversion build thread?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
yx600

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 06:13:54 PM »

Hey MM, trust you're well?

BFC was pulled a couple of years ago, after a disastrous number of shows at the start of the recession - got fed up selling my bikes to support the business!

Off to Zakboys thread now, coffee an' custard creams prepared!

The Artful Bodger
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: