April 28, 2024, 06:23:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting car to electric  (Read 2296 times)
paulywombats

« on: February 23, 2013, 11:07:03 PM »

Hi all, if I took out the petrol engine from a car and replaced with electric motor, would it need an SVA and new MOT?

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
The North

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:39:41 PM »

Yes and yes i think they would view it a little different from a fuel type swap and i dont think you can change fuel types on an existing mot, when i used to diesel up old astras and cavaliers back in the day as runabouts i used to have to mot them even then to be right with the law.
nabsim

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 01:11:12 PM »

You used to be able to swap petrol and Diesel engines round didn't you, have they stopped that? I remember having an old short wheel base me 1 Landy at the quarry that started life in the forces as a long wheel base petrol.

If you can still do that wouldn't it be the same kind of thing changing from fossil fuel to electric?

I always thought the batteries they use in current electric cars can cost around ten grand though so how are you thinking of getting round that if it is allowed?

paulywombats

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:58:33 PM »

Thanks for all replies guys, very much appreciated. I have been following a guy in the good old US of A. He has converted a small fiesta like car, base model, no power steering, electric windows etc. He has used a forklift motor and lead acid batteries @ 72 volt. Removed fuel tank and cut floor out of boot and replaced with battery box.
I only need short range to commute to work, where I can charge.

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
phunkie hiboy

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »

Cutting the monocoque (boot floor)? At that point there, it will require an IVA

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
Olds

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:13:54 AM »

In the 70s the fork truck company I worked for converted a small van (morris marina I think) to electric. Worked quite well but carrying capacity, was much reduced due to the weight of the batteries. This of course was long before the need for SVA.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: