March 28, 2024, 12:03:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: "Fastest Indian" DVD.  (Read 11674 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: June 08, 2006, 01:32:54 PM »

Yodie & I attended an advance screening of "The World's Fastest Indian" some 6 months ago now. We both came away saying it was the best bike film we'd ever seen. Anthony Hopkins was made for the part of Burt Munro, the New Zealander who took his ancient Indian Scout to the Utah Bonneville salt flats &...well I won't spoil the story if you've yet to see it, but it is a fabulous film. Beautifully shot, believably acted, wonderfully evocative riding shots, good period detail, lots of snippets of information for us Petrol Heads to store away for future reference. When he's streaking across the salt in pursuit of the land speed record you really find yourself willing him on. Go see it.
Due out on DVD on 3rd of July '06 I believe. Anyway, the latest issue of Bike magazine has a free DVD on the cover. A behind the scenes report on the making of the film, interviews with the cast & a 30 minute documentary on the real life Burt the film was based on. It's bound to be the "Extras" bit on the disc when it comes out, but worth a look. I've just leant my copy to Flap, but happy to pass it on if anyone wants it afterwards.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 06:55:51 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
wizzkitt

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 06:08:46 PM »

Aha, have just found a copy of the new Bike on Streetfighters' desk - and have nicked the DVD.  Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 06:59:18 PM »

Would still like to reproduce your review if it's possible Wizz.

wizzkitt

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 07:07:43 PM »

Oh hell, didn't I do that? Hang on, I'll find the copy and email it over to you.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 07:19:33 PM »

Send it direct to the Yodley One please Hon.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 07:17:32 PM »

For those new-ish to the forum, a while ago I mooted the idea of setting up a film review section on the site. "Monkies at the Movies" or something like that. The thread should still be here somewhere. There's been a million good & an equal number of truly appalling motoring movies over the years. Everybody has a favourite -a film that inspired you to get into bikes or cars? Maybe just one scene that sticks in your memory -I love the clip from American Graffiti of the little yellow coupe & the lovely big black '55 Chevy heading out to the outskirts of town to race. The sun's just coming up & there's a convoy of cars in silhouette as Booker T & the MGs'  Green Onions plays. Can't hear that tune without picturing that clip.
Easy Rider, Graffiti, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mad Max, The Fast & The Furious, Angels '69. Loads of 'em. How about jotting down a review of your particular fave? A quick outline of the plot, why it's important to you or just a description of that defining scene. As much or as little as you want to write & we'll get Mr Yodles to pull some images out of the ether & make up a page for it.
As I said in the original thread, I've been looking for a copy of The California Kid for years. Wandering around the recent Billing rodrun I came across a little black coupe that paid homage to this classic. Unless you've seen the film it'd mean nothing to you I guess but it made me smile.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 07:19:05 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 11:03:10 PM »

It's amazing how reading something cantrigger your brain into action. Well sort of. I read this post and allthe usual stuff like Easy Rider and Duel came to mind Then.....................................

I had a recollection of watching a film  in my late teens which involved a yellow mini and I think it was called "Good Bye Pork Pie".(there is a Jeff Beck song with the same title + the word "Hat" that I like so maybe I dreamt it) I believe it was an Australian cult movie and at the time I thought it was brill. It was probably crap but who knows

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 11:13:34 PM »

The postings of last night about google made me do a search and apart from it being the wrong country (New Zealand) I wasn't dreaming.

Click on this link for more info

http://www.geocities.com/dagsyfm/porkpie.htm

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 11:18:43 PM »

I think you've made that one up Byz!
That's a new one on me. Duel was discussed in the original thread. Another classic. What about The Italian Job? Herbie? The yellow Rolls Royce? Bullit? Steve McQueen in the Great Escape? Smokey & the Bandit? The motorised coffin in the Munsters film? The original TV Batmobile -well, there was a film spin off wasn't there. The Monkees' stretched red GTO? Or what about your favourite TV vehicle?

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 11:23:28 PM »

My Favourite TV vehicle was those things the Banana Splits used to drive around in. Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 11:24:17 PM »

That's a pretty exhaustive review isn't it! Still never heard of it though! Can't imagine Minis in New Zealand somehow. I'll check with Yodie & see how we stand about using some of that review -maybe we can if we credit the original author -I'm sure Wizzy will tell us. If not we should be O.K to link to it from here. Anyone else got a dimly remembered favourite?

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 11:27:18 PM »

I think that Bullit is fab. I would love to own a Mustang one day. Until then i'll have to make do with my Capri. Grin

Been to any interesting meets this evening?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 11:27:57 PM »

Yeah! The 6 wheeled buggy things! I always wanted one of those when I was a kid. I think my favourite film car would have to be the Blues Brothers ex black & white Police cruiser. Seriously cool. They should never have made the second film though. Music was great, film was bloomin' awful. Should've just released an album of songs inspired by the original.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 11:33:01 PM »

Nah, got no transport at the moment. I blagged a free bike from one of the 100% Biker forum members last week -a non running VF750 Honda, supposedly needing a small amount of fettling to get it running again. Waiting for him to find the logbook for it then I'll go & collect it -it's in mid Wales! So got no way of getting to meets at the moment. Hired a car for the Billing run but can't afford to do that too often. Hoping to get to Poole in Dorset on Sunday for the custom & classic car show, but still working on a way of getting there.

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 11:40:48 PM »

Ah that a pain! Cry I hate having no wheels. Only just managed by the skin o me teeth to get the Capri MOT'd last week. It's been vandalaised four times this year! Angry might have to get rid of it as it seems to attract the wrong sort of attention.

Would love to get a Trike on the road but to busy sorting other peoples motors out.

Am busy all weekend otherwise would be interested in going to Poole.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: