April 29, 2024, 06:03:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dennis Hopper dies  (Read 3017 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: May 29, 2010, 10:48:04 PM »

Taken from the online BBC News page:

Hollywood actor Dennis Hopper has died at the age of 74 following a battle with prostate cancer.

Known for such cult classics as Easy Rider, Apocalypse Now and Blue Velvet, Hopper embodied the image of the Hollywood icon.

Hopper died on Saturday morning surrounded by friends and family at his home in Venice, California.

He was last seen in public in March when he was honoured with a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame.

Dunno about you guys, but EasyRider was one of those defining experiences of my teenage years. Like many kids my age, it sparked a fascination with custom bikes that has lasted over 30 years -& I'm just starting the building of another. Hopper & Peter Fonda, riding across endless panaramic American landscapes as "Billy" & Captain America", is an instantly recognisable image. They personified the lifestyle we all dreamed of living.
Thanks for the inspiration Mr Hopper. 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »

Clive

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 10:42:40 AM »

Might be an instantly recognised image buddy, but I hate to admit it, I've never seen the film!!!! Shocked

Sure it'll be on soon now though, along with his other classics!!

Clive

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
thebigdogsix

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 11:05:05 AM »

Hopper great actor
Easy rider watched it twice still no real idea what its about
R.I.P
Cabman77

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 06:09:56 PM »

EasyRider was a great film, and like you say Andy an inspiration for a lifestyle I can`t seem to shake off.

It was also Jack Nocholson`s debut film part.

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 10:44:12 PM »

Might be an instantly recognised image buddy, but I hate to admit it, I've never seen the film!!!! Shocked

Sure it'll be on soon now though, along with his other classics!!

Clive

hhhhm think i saw it over 20 times..... and look what it did to me Wink Grin

r.i.p. billy, you'll be missed Smiley

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 08:13:25 AM »

R.I.P Dennis

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 10:22:17 AM »

I've got it on DVD if you want to borrow it.
Hopper directed it as well as co-starring. It's actually one of the most boring films I've ever seen. Very rambling & self indulgent -it's said the stars were actually smoking the weed they were depicted with, which might explain it. It had a great 60s soundtrack though, (I used to have it on an LP. Anyone remember vinyl?), & the riding shots were stunning.
Some iconic images -Fonda firing his bike up at the start, having done a drug deal to get the money to take off & just ride free, where ever they want to go. He takes his wristwatch off, looks at it & throws it in the dirt. No need to worry about time anymore. They set out to ride across the country to see the New Orleans Mardi Gras, & the film follows their journey & the people they meet. By the time they arrive, they've realised they're not as free as they thought they'd be & that society's still prejudiced against "long hairs" like them & money doesn't buy you happiness etc, etc.
Jack Nicholson played a small town lawyer who they meet in the local jailhouse, where he's locked up overnight for drunkenness. He acts Hopper & Fonda off the screen & became a major star after this, (he also starred in several other biker films around the same time). Love the shots of him riding pillion on Fonda's Harley -You got a helmet?
Have I got a helmet! Cut to him riding in suit & tie & huge gold American football helmet.
Fast forward through the talky bits & just enjoy the scenes of them riding across 1960s mid west America.
I first saw EasyRider on a big cinema screen at a midnight screening when I was about 18. I'd ridden there with a bunch of mates from my bike club. Days later I'd pulled the handlebars off my 650 Bonny & fitted ape hangers & started dreaming of hardtail frames, forward controls, peanut tanks etc.
Yeah, it had a big influence on me.  Cool
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:04:09 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Firery Fred

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 06:39:57 PM »

Yep,massive influence on me,RIP Dennis

It's better to have a gun,(welding),and not need one than need a gun and not have one
cunningplan

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 08:55:02 PM »

got a couple of copys of the film (VHS & DVD) (It came out as a double set with Two Lane Blacktop in Asda about a year ago for about 4 quid) and saw it when it came out. real shame as he also played some good roles in other films.
Also, loved his bike much more than Captain America.
Smiler

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 08:58:12 PM »

I too have to shamefully admit to having never seen it. I must make amends.

www.Auto-TaT.co.uk
My ageing website of automotive tat!
Cabman77

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 09:06:27 PM »

I too saw it first at a midnight showing at the Odeon in kings rd chelsea. could hardly breathe with all the "smoke" at the back pmsl

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
Clive

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 09:14:33 PM »

Two Lane Blacktop

Another Iconic film I've never seen, just heard about!

Clive

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 11:06:08 PM »

Check the Movie Review page Clive.

http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/movie/reviews.html

About time we had a review of EasyRider then I guess. Anyone fancy writing us one?

bitzman5

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 11:44:48 PM »

Memory doesn't go that far back to write one up

May your gardian angel fly faster than you can ride
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: