March 28, 2024, 07:30:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 545012 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2445 on: June 12, 2018, 09:45:33 PM »

Grin

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2446 on: June 13, 2018, 09:19:11 PM »

So, I had another go at riding to the local bike meet this evening. Went with a couple of mates from the Post Office, one on a new Triumph Bonneville & one on an old ex Army 350 Harley trail bike thing.
The XS goes well when accelerating & handles fine, but has developed a misfire/backfire when sharply decellerating. The exhaust note also seems to be more "plop, plop, plop" now than it used to be, (that sound Jap bikes tend to make when running short pipes). At one point on the ride there, I slowed for a corner & suddenly lost all power, just for a second, followed by a huge backfire as it cut back in again. Electrical? Fuel? No idea. I'm rubbish at fault finding. Tom said it popped a few times when he took it for the MOT. The bike shop fitted fresh plugs & it was fine -which would mean what? Running rich?
On the way back several cars flashed their lights at us & sure enough, there was a Police car tucked in a side road with a hand held speed gun. We trundled gently past, with my bike popping & banging like mad. Further up the road, I opened it up again & it was fine, so I'm guessing fouled plugs.
Otherwise, a good ride. Maybe 20 miles, only marred by the Army bike getting a slow puncture -we had to stop in a garage to inflate it so he could get home.
The front brake caliper is working fine, but rattles. I'm wondering if that's the annoying rattle I thought was the exhaust.
Still not feeling much enthusiasm for the thing, but trying to work through the teething trouble stage without hitting it with a hammer.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2447 on: June 13, 2018, 09:20:49 PM »

Olds

« Reply #2448 on: June 14, 2018, 02:21:34 AM »

Nice pic. Misfire on overrun usually indicates a lean mixture, air leak at inlet.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
dr big750

« Reply #2449 on: June 14, 2018, 05:56:21 AM »

Nice pic. Misfire on overrun usually indicates a lean mixture, air leak at inlet.
[/quote
Also can be caused by an air leak at exhaust manifold], usually only on overun and deceleration
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2450 on: June 14, 2018, 06:51:35 AM »

Andy..your riding it..it's not a production bike..so bound to pop and fart?
I've been trying to get my trike running past couple of weeks,tried 2 carburettors..purchased a newly refurbished carb from a decent company in Liverpool ..still couldn't get it running right..turned out to be the fuel pump..(second one ) not pumping fuel..(erratic ) so I got another one from my friendly mot guy..and low and behold it's running.. Cheesy so I most likely didn't need the new carb?  Persevere mate.. Cool

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2451 on: June 14, 2018, 02:02:19 PM »

Right then, gasket paper ordered, Hylomar gasket sealant, (yeah I know the carb manifolds shouldn't need it, but bet they will), new exhaust seals ordered & Gun Gum sealing paste bought.
Checked the plugs & they look fine.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2452 on: June 14, 2018, 02:06:48 PM »

The front brake caliper's a very sloppy sliding fit on it's carrier. It's got all the shims it's supposed to have, so not sure how I can quiten it down, other than lots of copper grease on the sliding surfaces.

Archie

« Reply #2453 on: June 14, 2018, 06:48:20 PM »

Yep, remember following me banging all the way on backoff - split manifold on the left

Carbs may have settled and got an air leak on yours
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2454 on: June 14, 2018, 08:49:34 PM »

Yeah, I remember Smiley It drowned out my rattles!
Not just popping on the over run, but just generally at low speeds. I'll seal everything, then at least I'll know that's not the problem.
Just spent an hour or so filing, sanding & polishing the fork legs. Unwanted caliper lug, (used to mount the speedo), gone.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2455 on: June 14, 2018, 08:51:21 PM »

Stopped at a petrol station on Wednesday evening to re-inflate my mate's slow puncture.
Did I take a photo of his bike?
-nope Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2456 on: June 16, 2018, 05:37:52 PM »

Exhaust dismantled, new gaskets fitted in the cylinder head & everything refitted.
Front brake caliper dismantled & all sliding surfaces copper greased, then refitted.
The gasket material for the carb manifolds arrived, but I ordered the wrong stuff -thick, rigid composite sheet, rather than paper, so have ordered more.
Haven't had a chance to try it to see if the backfire's been cured though.

Olds

« Reply #2457 on: June 17, 2018, 07:53:12 AM »

Rattly caliper. You did remember to fit new rubbers to the carrier pins/caliper didn't you.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2458 on: June 17, 2018, 08:17:47 AM »

Yup, all new.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2459 on: June 20, 2018, 06:44:00 PM »

Been feeling lousy for the last few days. Thought it was just the heat, but apparently there's a bug going round at work. Haven't looked at the bike this week but the gasket material arrived the other day so I've just cut a couple of 1mm thick gaskets to fit between the cast ali' carb manifolds & the engine. The carb bodies have O rings to seal them against the manifolds, so I left them alone. Didn't bother with liquid sealant in the end.

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: