March 28, 2024, 07:35:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 545013 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2355 on: May 15, 2018, 10:38:54 PM »

A nice comfy chintz cushion, that's what it needs Smiley
Tom's not used to the lack of suspension & I haven't ridden at all since 2010, so we'll probably just adjust to the bumpy ride.
He mentioned earlier that he "tickled" the carbs while trying to start it when it was hot. It's nearly 40 years since I used to ride Bonnevilles, but I think I only had to tickle them from cold. So may just be a matter of finding what it likes.
The bike's back in my garage at the moment, so I had a quick check of the chain earlier. Definitely needs adjusting. It was slack enough for me to slap it against the underside of the chain guard by hand. It may have just settled or stretched a bit with first use. So hopefully some adjustment will cure the rattle Tom & Archie heard. No suspension travel to worry about, so it can be run slightly tighter than a normal bike.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Archie

« Reply #2356 on: May 16, 2018, 08:16:18 AM »

Aye I would put it down to that kind of noise as it was only on some of the bigger bumps.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2357 on: May 16, 2018, 02:55:21 PM »

Fingers crossed it's a simple fix Smiley
Have you tried it yet mate? How does it compare to your previous XS chop?

Archie

« Reply #2358 on: May 16, 2018, 06:58:28 PM »

I’ve not no, but following it on the road I would say it’s a lot more refined.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2359 on: May 16, 2018, 09:23:51 PM »

Smiley I'm too old for hooliganing.

Archie

« Reply #2360 on: May 17, 2018, 12:09:35 PM »

let us know if you fancy a trip out sunday morning? Can take a little ride to get breakfast somewhere to see how you get on
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2361 on: May 17, 2018, 02:10:21 PM »

That'd be cool.
I'm at the Basingstoke Blues Club on Saturday night. Won't get home till nearly 1am, so it won't be early Sunday, but yeah, why not Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2362 on: May 18, 2018, 10:01:55 PM »

Had a visit from the chaps at the truck garage tonight.
Tom & Archie had been out for a "pootle" through the local countryside, so called in on their way back.
First time my 2 projects have been together for a few years Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2363 on: May 18, 2018, 10:23:39 PM »

I still haven't ridden "the Frog" myself yet, but I'm really pleased Tom's getting some enjoyment from it -that's the whole point of building these things after all. Smiley
Today's list of minor niggles:
The speedo's stopped working, which appears to be a cable problem. Either the cable itself has too tight a bend in it, or the 90° angled fitting on the end is slipping. It's a car fitting with a plastic stub that connects to the original drive unit. I think the plastic bit needs replacing with a short length of normal metal bike speedo inner cable.
There's still an unidentified rattle from the left side, possibly the exhaust heat shield.
The cylinder head gasket's leaking between the fins on the left side. May be worth just retorquing the head bolts or trying an oil additive to seal the leak. If the head needs to come off, it's an engine out job -a big job.

On the plus side, nothing's vibrated loose or fallen off, all the lights still work & the clutch seems to have quitened down. The clutch lever operation is now much smoother too.
No idea what it's doing to the gallon, but the boys did manage to run out of fuel this evening. Fortunately they had the ingenuity to use a bottle they found at the roadside to transfer fuel from Archie's 1100 to the XS.

It's the first time I've seen it moving under it's own steam & I must admit I'm pleased with it. Might seem strange that I haven't leapt in it myself yet, but with that project now complete & being road tested, I just want to crack on & get the truck done too. I know the bike's in safe, sensible hands & I'm more than happy for Tom to keep on pootling & refining it for now. Good to see you guys Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2364 on: May 20, 2018, 10:18:25 PM »

Well, Sunday dawned warm & sunny, so I dug out my riding gear & finally took the Frog out to stretch it's legs. Just a short hop over to Arborfield, near Reading, Berkshire for the local classic bike & car show.
I haven't ridden at all for the best part of 10 years, so was a little wary as I headed out onto the public roads. Thankfully the confidence soon came back & I really enjoyed the 10 miles or so to the show.
Not long after I arrived I was joined by Archie on his 1100 single sided, car wheeled street fighter thingy. We wandered around the show in the sunshine for a while, before heading back via Loony's workshop. Maybe 30 miles altogether, (hard to tell -my speedo's packed up), & I only lost 2 bolts! The rear exhaust/chain guard mount & a nut from one of the seat springs. Both now fixed.
It was great to follow Archie around the country lanes. The XS creates a whole cachophony of rattles at the moment, but they were drowned out by his popping & banging exhaust! Smiley The main rattle appears to be the unsupported front end of the exhaust baffles vibrating against the inside of the pipes. I might try a small collar of exhaust wadding's g around the front of each baffle to pack it out a bit. Other than that, it handles well, stops reasonably & sounds awesome when you accelerate hard Smiley very much like the old Triumphs of my youth. I'm pleased with it.
Obviously there'll be a long list of teething troubles over the next few months, but we'll work through them as they crop up. It's fun being a biker again Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2365 on: May 20, 2018, 10:19:22 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2366 on: May 20, 2018, 10:20:17 PM »

The Archiemobile.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2367 on: May 20, 2018, 10:20:54 PM »

JayJay

« Reply #2368 on: May 21, 2018, 12:56:41 AM »

I like the look of that Archie.  Cool

I bet your buttocks needed a soft cushion after that ride Andy. I didn't realise you hadn't ridden a bike in all that time. Glad you enjoyed it and it all came back to you. Teething probs will soon get sorted and hopefully lots of sunny days ahead. Sad to say though, just over 4 weeks and it's the longest day!  Shocked  Cry

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2369 on: May 21, 2018, 07:59:29 PM »

Yes Andy how did the bottom and back last out on the road ?  I'm well jel ! Wink

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: