April 24, 2024, 04:27:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 548532 times)
Tony oily bike

« Reply #2475 on: June 23, 2018, 08:48:44 PM »

Yup, I seem to have fixed the popping & banging from last week, but now it's developed an oil leak from the other side of the cylinder head.
It also got very hot & irritable riding through the middle of Guildford's Friday evening rush hour, stalling several times & getting a bit clunky when changing gear. Having to paddle it to the side of the road & kick start it, with a queue of car drivers behind me, revealed a talent for swearing I didn't know I had.
I was heading for a circular "Moon Door" in a road in Cranleigh to take some photos, but the Cranleigh road was shut & I eventually gave up fighting my way around the town in the heat & headed home. I stopped for these pics on the way back.
The bike ran quite happily once I was back out on the open road, but doesn't like slow town traffic when the engine's hot. I've already ordered new inline fuel filters as they look pretty mucky already, but any other suggestions? -apart from "Don't go to Guildford"?
After only a few miles of motorway speeds, my bum was already getting numb. This isn't a long distance hauler.
I'm trying really hard to like the thing, but maybe I'm just not the biker I used to be.

You know you like it, just look at how many photos you’ve posted!! Grin

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #2476 on: June 23, 2018, 08:52:35 PM »

I have a couple of suggestions....first, get yourself a "Gel" insert for the seat, may not be quite as pretty as it is now, but oh the relief!! Cheesy.. second, you need to factor in the dreaded advancing years!! honestly! as, by your own admission, Mr. M, you have been off 'bikes for some years, so getting rider fit, to cover distances, will take some time, not helped by the time period between the previous time you rode, and being a good deal senior, aka "older", than you! I speak from experience, unfortunately Tongue...but I wouldn't swap my gel saddle for 'looks', anytime, I was out today on my Suzuki and by the time I returned I thought I had colliers "white finger"....ho, hum...It don't come alone...Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2477 on: June 23, 2018, 10:44:28 PM »

Maybe an inflatable cushion for long trips? Smiley
I'm determined to keep plugging away at it & fixing any problems that crop up, but I'm struggling to get enthusuastic about it. It's just hard work at the moment.
Any suggestions for the buggering about when it's hot? Felt almost like fuel evaporation -when I opened the throttle to pull away it'd kinda gasp for breath. Too quick on the throttle & it'd stall. Maybe a spacer block between the aluminium carb manifolds & engine, as used on Reliants? What are they made from & how thick would they need to be? Maybe Burlen Fuels, who make Amal carbs, sell them?
Once it was out on open roads again, with some airflow to cool it down, it seemed better. I'm struggling in the Summer heat at the moment too, so maybe it'll be happier when the weather cools.
No idea what it should be doing to the gallon, but the tank"s probably about half full after 80 miles or so & I think it's a 2 1/2 gallon tank.
Nothing fell off on this trip, so it must be getting better Smiley
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 10:53:51 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Archie

« Reply #2478 on: June 23, 2018, 11:23:03 PM »

D5982_B55_9126_417_E_BECC_5_C6_F38_A77_BBF" border="0

Don’t know if it is, but this one looks like it’s got external coolers before the carbs (if that’s what they are)

Bit of a fussy fix, but probably effective
Archie

« Reply #2479 on: June 23, 2018, 11:30:26 PM »

Or

https://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/carb-heat-insulating-washer-actual-bore-28mm_1637.htm

heat insulating washer amal from www.ebay.co.uk
Monobloc 375 389 Concentric 600 900 etc. Fits to carburettor flange to reduce heat transference from engine to carb' thus reducing fuel......
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2480 on: June 23, 2018, 11:42:58 PM »

Burlens list a similar spacer, made of Tufnol, for 8 quid, but it's a nicer looking product. They stock 3 bore sizes, 28, 30 & 32mm. Can't remember what my carbs are, but think they're 930s, so 900 series, 30mm bore.

http://amalcarb.co.uk/mk-i-concentric-series/900-series/gaskets/spacers.html
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:06:09 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Olds

« Reply #2481 on: June 24, 2018, 06:25:32 AM »

Don’t know if it is, but this one looks like it’s got external coolers before the carbs (if that’s what they are)

That's a float bowl extension for the Amal Monoblock carb. Originally fitted to prevent fuel starvation on long sweeping bends.

While a thin narrow seat looks neat, a wide well sprung seat can't be beat. Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:27:04 AM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2482 on: June 24, 2018, 06:53:01 AM »

And the HOLES in the petrol tank ?..I love holes,but they can't help with fuel economy ? Roll Eyes as for the seat..a bit of sheepskin is what some used back in the day..and what I'd planned for the trike..but Mrs Stinkey asked me to fit some padding to her seat..keep plodding away Andy..

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2483 on: June 24, 2018, 07:07:38 AM »

I have a wide, well sprung arse.

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2484 on: June 24, 2018, 07:16:55 AM »

Did he say ARSE ? Shocked

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2485 on: June 24, 2018, 07:32:35 AM »

I'm allowed cos I is a adult.

Tony oily bike

« Reply #2486 on: June 24, 2018, 07:46:07 AM »

Insulating washers / spacers as suggested for your Amals would be a wise move to reduce the thermal path, just look at what Mr Yamaha had fitted as stock for his Mikunis when he sold the XS new.

Mr Slam & I were stuck by the roadside many moons ago as the mid 1920’s Raleigh he was on (with a direct brass coupling from the intlet to the carb) had the petrol boiling in the carb, a chinwag and 20 mins later it had cooled enough to restart.

On your Frog, you could try tickling (heh heh) the carbs if it does the same again to put a bit of / more juice in the float bowl. What could possibly go wrong!!

Gel seat covers – gentlemen of a particular age that I know who ride rigid bikes say they’re the poddle’s privates and well worth investing in.

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
merv

« Reply #2487 on: June 24, 2018, 07:48:31 AM »

Sorry Andy, your arse cant be that well sprung these days other wise you wouldn't be feeling it. May be the padding has gone saggy  Grin ;

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2488 on: June 24, 2018, 08:15:31 AM »

Smiley
I did tickle the carbs when the bike stalled in traffic in Guildford, (it was properly gridlocked over there with no room to even manouvre through on a bike). They took a couple of squirts to fill the floatbowls, which is why I suspect evaporation or muck in the fuel lines. Seperate feeds to each carb though, so at least one should run O.K
Mr Slam & I have discussed the merits of gel seats before. I thought the springs would be enough, but obviously not. If I can resist the urge to beat the bike to death with a hammer, I think I might have to get the seat re-upholstered, (again), with gel instead of foam.

Archie

« Reply #2489 on: June 24, 2018, 09:38:44 AM »

Orrrr

Get something else for mile munching on and have this for sunny short pootling about on
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: