April 25, 2024, 07:45:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 548718 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2415 on: June 06, 2018, 10:18:32 PM »

Thanks Dave, but I seriously don't think I could resist the urge to beat it to death with a club hammer at the moment. I'll leave it in the garage till the new cap arrives, (eBay, 20 quid). Alternatively, box of matches, 50p.
Yeah, my old Bonny had a chain on the cap.
I've now had 2 offers from forummers to buy it for 2 1/2 grand. No idea what it's cost me over the last 10 years, but probably twice that. I hate it. I genuinely loathe the bloody thing. It's making me miserable.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Archie

« Reply #2416 on: June 07, 2018, 09:48:42 AM »

No it isn't, it's just teethers. remember how much fun you did have in the sun.

2.5k? An engine in Andover was up at £800 the other day, so would probably be more like double maybe.

But as we said. This is a sunny sunday thing and if you get the bug to ride again, modern retro type jobby for mile munching.

Plus mines near on done, and if it's anything like the last one we can go breaking down, losing bits, running out of fuel all over the place. PLus throw tom into the mix and we can be a right old rabble of roadside wrecks.

Maybe a blast into london to assembly chopper show next month will give you something to aim for
Stix

« Reply #2417 on: June 07, 2018, 10:11:59 AM »

2.5k. Noooooo, I like most monkeys have followed your trials and tribulations during this build and believe it is worth as Archie said close on double that amount, it is a running taxed and mot'd bike with just a couple of small faults that are annoying you, a couple of evenings should see it finished and ready to ride. Ride it and get the shake down out of the way, it is an older bike and has been heavily modified so is not going to be the same as a newer factory model and will always want some-thing tweaking or tightening back up, but these things can only be sorted once it is being ridden and these little things found.
If you give it away now you will regret it for a long time, how will you feel about if when you see it at a show or pics on here with a new owner enjoying the fruits of YOUR labour?? Archie has suggested a newer bike to use as a summer fun thing, plenty about that can give you some smiles and let you get out on a sunny day going back to the Yam when you are in a calmer mood, my own bike/trikes have not been touched in 3years as they have been in storage or traveling halfway round Europe but no way do I want to sell them even if it will be a pain to get them registered for use here. Don't give up on your dream Andy or you will just have nightmares about it once it is gone.

Stix
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2418 on: June 07, 2018, 07:02:51 PM »

Andy..2-5k is a dam cheek..FFS  Undecided..my son and I have let go TOO MANY projects..I regret most..just do one job at a time..and what's this chopper show next month ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #2419 on: June 07, 2018, 07:48:56 PM »

Mr M do what's right for you! it's only a bloody motorcycle for gords sake, then, if that's your choice of action, move on. As you know, I finished my 3 Wheeler last year, after a 3 yr.+ build... then flogged it within months, for nothing like what it cost me in bitz, alone, let alone time & effort! but it was right for me then, so....as stated, do what's right for you, then, no regrets, onward and upwards, eh? Wink Wink..Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2420 on: June 07, 2018, 09:55:01 PM »

I find myself in agreement with Morrag, if you really REALLY hate the thing, let it go and get the Pop on the road cos you really REALLY love that Pop (even when you don't think you do).

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2421 on: June 07, 2018, 10:05:28 PM »

It was my asking price. No idea what it's worth.
Thanks for the input chaps. I know there'll be teething troubles. Everything I've ever built has had initial problems -but this one really has turned into a battle of endurance. I'm not enjoying it at all at the moment. Even if I sell it, there are jobs I want to finish though, cos it'd bug me to let it go half done.
Back in the garage again today though cos the chrome exhaust clamp I ordered yesterday afternoon arrived this morning, (damn, those Posties are good). I'll use it to mount the speedo to the fork leg, a few inches higher than before so the cable will have a smoother route & hopefully won't snap again.
So I knocked up a quick bracket this afternoon that bolts to the mudguard mount & wraps around the forkleg. I'll get it powder coated while I wait for the new cable to arrive & will also have to shave the unwanted lug off that the speedo previously bolted to.
I also no longer need the hugely expensive right angled drive fitting I used before. It's the same as the one fitted to my truck speedo though, so at least I have a spare.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2422 on: June 07, 2018, 10:06:07 PM »

stinkey

« Reply #2423 on: June 07, 2018, 10:30:05 PM »

To be honest mate..the days of me losing it over a bike/car have long gone..it's only something to pass the time while I'm on this planet..walk away one day,try again another..at least you've ridden the thing.. ?? Cool

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2424 on: June 07, 2018, 10:40:57 PM »

Someone stopped & said "Nice bike" while I was in the petrol station last night -then I rode out & lost the filler cap Sad

stinkey

« Reply #2425 on: June 08, 2018, 07:44:59 AM »

Is that all ?  Cheesy Cheesy I'd suggest a nice tool roll strapped on the bike..full of basic (small) tools/tape/fuses etc..then RIDE the bloody thing ..it's going to break down and rattle..I'm sure you've got AA/RAC cover..I'm beavering away on my trike doing what I can..with no money or deadline..Gagging to be out there sorting out the Bugs..on the trike and in my teeth ? Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2426 on: June 08, 2018, 05:58:14 PM »

Yup, always had a tool roll on my chops, although I've always thought they look naff. Now I've just got an AA card & a mobile phone.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:18:25 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2427 on: June 08, 2018, 08:21:13 PM »

Speedo cable's arrived. Needs to be shortened to 225mm.
Arrived at the garage to find the padlock's been disturbed. Looks like someone's been having a look at it. That would solve my bike woes.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2428 on: June 09, 2018, 10:05:24 AM »

It was Tom, using the spare set of garage keys to take some measurements off the bike for his own. So I'm still stuck with it.
New fuel cap's arrived. I actually prefer it to the previous  one. It's a clicky ratchety thing on it so you can't overtighten it. We'll see how long this one lasts.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:52:54 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2429 on: June 09, 2018, 09:29:25 PM »

The secret is to put it somewhere you CAN'T ride off and forget it - on the seat maybe?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: