April 16, 2024, 09:06:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 547132 times)
merv

« Reply #2340 on: May 12, 2018, 08:30:46 AM »

That is good news, well done to Tom and Archie. One down one to go

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
paulywombats

« Reply #2341 on: May 12, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »

Finally, bigger news than the pending royal wedding, perhaps you could call her Meghan?

Maybe not, great news, now enjoy.

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
terry t

« Reply #2342 on: May 12, 2018, 10:40:37 AM »

Finally, bigger news than the pending royal wedding, perhaps you could call her Meghan?

Maybe not, great news, now enjoy.
Or Harry. well you never know these day  Shocked
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2343 on: May 12, 2018, 02:50:12 PM »

Grin Had a manically busy day at work today, but managed to swing by Tom's parents' house, a few streets from my Postal delivery, in the van & grab the MOT certificate from him. He & Archie were on the driveway, tinkering with bikes. Nice to see you chaps & sorry I couldn't stop Smiley
So I just had time to collect the logbook from home & walk into town before the main Post Office shut at 4pm. We now have tax!
And it's immediately started raining. Proper, Biblically proportioned floods.
Bugger.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:45:28 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Archie

« Reply #2344 on: May 12, 2018, 06:22:41 PM »

Same thing happened on last years mot.

Abandoned the 1100 at his folks place due to the rain. Guess we’ll have another go tomorrow
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2345 on: May 12, 2018, 06:46:44 PM »

Smiley I do seriously think the biking gods have a grudge against this thing!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2346 on: May 12, 2018, 07:45:16 PM »

So.
Noisy clutch.
It's had a whirring vibration going on when the engine's running & the lever's pulled in. Sounded like the clutch plates were seperating & somehow rubbing the inside of the engine casing.
Mr BayChimp & I stripped the clutch assembly & rebuilt it several times with no success, so Tom drained the oil & pulled off the casing today.
Yes, it has been rubbing, but the problem seems to have been the casing, not the clutch.
It has a recess on the inside, where the Yamaha logo was stamped on the outside. My brother TIG welded the letters up before it was engraved. In the middle of the rectangular recess was a pip. A domed profusion about 10mm tall. Nothing to do with the welding -it looks like a casting thing. It doesn't serve any purpose, but happens to line up perfectly with the centre of the clutch & has been rubbing. No sign of aluminium dust in the oil, so hopefully no lasting damage.
Tom used a Dremel to shave it down & reports it still rubs ever so slightly but is much better & will probably bed in with use. The clutch itself works fine as far as I know.
I vaguely remember buying spare cases at a local autojumble a few years ago. Some models have a dipstick & some have a sight glass in the casing. I wanted the plain, dipstick version, so may have swapped them -I genuinely can't remember -but the clutches all work the same & shouldn't be able to touch the case. Odd, but the problem seems to be fixed now, which is all I care about Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2347 on: May 13, 2018, 08:38:10 AM »

After talking to Mr Dslam this morning, maybe I didn't explain that well. The clutch face has contacted the inside of the casing, but just left a black mark where the 2 have touched, not ground away the pip. We were expecting to find a huge swirl mark. It only touched when the clutch was pulled in with engine running, which really hasn't been very often -a couple of times in the garage & when Tom rode the mile or so to the MOT test & back again. He's checked the inside of the cases & the filter & changed the oil. So I'm pretty confident there's no damage or particles floating about in there. I haven't seen it in person yet, but he tells me he can just hear it contacting with the lever pulled right in. Yes, I may well pull the cover off again if it doesn't quieten down in the first few miles, but it sounds like it's pretty much sorted.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2348 on: May 14, 2018, 01:05:12 AM »

Tom reports the bike is now safely back in my lock-up garage. I've been out all day though, so still haven't seen it since it's been road legal. I haven't ridden since I sold my last Speed Triple to Loony in 2010, so will be a bit wobbly for a while! I hope to get out one afternoon this week for some practice.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2349 on: May 15, 2018, 01:43:14 PM »

I was sat in my Post Office van this morning, waiting for my partner, when a bike rode past. I heard it coming & assumed it was a Harley, but a pale green hardtail chop went past.
That looks nice. It looks just like mine ...just a minute!
Tom had some time off work so was out for a spin & had deliberately taken a detour around my Postal route on the off-chance I'd be about.
Looking good Tom Smiley

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2350 on: May 15, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »

Think I'd be a bit sad? Shocked

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
terry t

« Reply #2351 on: May 15, 2018, 03:30:55 PM »

As I said on sunday Andy. you have lost this now the suns out. Tom needs to give it a good test ride before he hands it back to you just to make sure its all ok. say October time
Archie

« Reply #2352 on: May 15, 2018, 05:39:53 PM »

Lol

He does like it.....
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2353 on: May 15, 2018, 06:07:52 PM »

Grin To be perfectly honest, after a few months away from working on it, I'm more focused on trying to get my truck finished now, so I can finally free myself from endless garaging. It'll be great to have the choice of 2 custom vehicles!
I'm hoping Tom gets all the bugs ironed out before I get to ride it Smiley
Today's report:
Once it's hot, it's a bugger to start. Not sure where to go with that one. Kickstart only & mk 1 Amal carbs with no choke. Presumably there's a knack to it that he hasn't found yet -or you just have to wait for it to cool down?
He says the comfort limit of the hardtail's about half an hour -which rules out riding it to Scotland for my holidays -unless I do it in lots of short hops. That may be just a personal thing though. I've got a well padded bum & have ridden hardtails 100s of miles at a time -but I was a lot younger then.
There's an occasional clattering noise somewhere on the left side when riding, which I'm guessing is the chain whipping against the chain guard. No, I'm not taking the guard off! We can try adjusting & lubing it, but may have to look at fitting a chain tensioner somewhere. One of the American custom companies does one with a spring loaded sprocket, rather than a rubber wheel or blade.
I hate teething problems.
This is the point where I usually give up & flog the damn thing, but I'm determined not to this time cos I'll never build another bike. My cunning plan is to give it to someone else to ride & sort out for me! Smiley

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2354 on: May 15, 2018, 09:04:43 PM »

For longer trips, something from this page might help?

https://www.danmedicasouth.co.uk/motorcycle-seat-pads/

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: