March 29, 2024, 11:35:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 545068 times)
scannerzer

« Reply #2250 on: January 06, 2018, 07:35:31 PM »

^^^wot he said^^^
Baychimp

« Reply #2251 on: January 07, 2018, 12:35:43 AM »

I know its mucked the paint up, but it could be something as simple as the taps not being put in right. Maybe a little leakage from the threads.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2252 on: January 07, 2018, 09:34:38 AM »

The taps are a tapered thread, screwing into threaded inserts welded into the back of the tank. I suspect the welds are very thin & tweaking the tap around to the right position has cracked one.
I've tried liquid tank sealants several times over the years & they've always been a disaster, so it'd mean TIG welding the existing mounts, cutting them out & replacing them with the bigger ones I bought, or just buying a new tank.
I appreciate the sentiments chaps, but I really do hate this thing. I've owned it for 8 or 10 years & It's been nothing but hassle & expense. I don't swear very often, but I've cursed this one more times than any other vehicle I've ever owned.
A forum member's offered me the full asking price & I really can't think of a good reason not to take it. I do think that once it's gone, that'll be my biking days over though -can't see me building another.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
terry t

« Reply #2253 on: January 07, 2018, 09:40:00 AM »

If its getting you down that much Andy then sell. it your health is more important . you could always buy a cheap bike for ridding all ready up and running 
minimutly

« Reply #2254 on: January 07, 2018, 10:09:29 AM »

Hmm, lots of pluses and minuses here.  On the plus side,if you sell it frees you from further pain, on the minus side how will you feel in a year or twos time when it appears at a show?
For the buyer it will never mean as much as it will to you - yes a nice bike to own, ride and show, but it will have been swapped for a few quid.
At the end of the day though its your decision, good luck to you and the prospective buyer, hope it works out.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2255 on: January 07, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »

I know how you feel I started building my brothers chop back in 2002/3?.. It's been fighting us all the way..my brother keeps abandoning it..then restarts on it ? A good buddy did some wiring on it and got it running..then sat in the she'd for another 2/3 years..I restarted on it 2017..kept blowing fuses..my brother said he didn't want to spend £45 an hour for local sparky to sort it ,so hired a van and took it back to London to my buddy..but it sat there 3 months untouched due to his bad health.plus he said it needed re wiring ?? It's the wiring he did ??so back to my shed ..my brother asked a good buddy of his to look at it ..that was October ..I said get local guy to do it? Too expensive ? My brother spends at least £70 per week on FAGs ? Undecided
Do what makes you happy Andy

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2256 on: January 07, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »

Yup, I've done similar a few times.
I've had a genuine cash offer from someone here & don't want to mess them about, but I'm still waivering a bit. What I really need is someone to just take it away & fix it & finish it & deal with the inevitable teething problems -I've never let other people ride my bikes before but I'm happy for someone to take on the road testing mileage on this one. I just can't be arsed with it any more. Happy to pay for whatever needs doing, but can't face another 6 months of ferrying parts back & forth & sitting in a lock-up wrestling with it. Stoopid bike! Sad

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2257 on: January 07, 2018, 05:28:21 PM »

So ...plan B
Having had several forummers threatening to lynch me if I sell it or set fire to it, or both, it gets another chance.
I'm very, very grateful for the offer to buy it & at some point, I may still take it up, but now there's another option.
Tom is local to me, a forum member, (Tom prs), & has already worked on the wiring on mine. He's building an XS too, but his has stalled while he waits for parts & he's determined I'm not going to sell mine.
So tomorrow he's collecting the garage keys & we'll go through what needs doing. I'll repay him with lots of riding time on it when it's done. After a few years away from bikes & a noticeable increase in the number of idiots on the roads, I may have lost my nerve. Who knows. No idea how much I'll actually use it, but there'll be plenty of Tom time if he wants it.
Take the keys, send me the bills, ring me when you get home from the MOT station Smiley
I've got some very, very good friends. Thank you Smiley

minimutly

« Reply #2258 on: January 07, 2018, 05:43:15 PM »

Phew....
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2259 on: January 07, 2018, 06:13:53 PM »

Smiley
The final option's still the petrol/matches scenario.

merv

« Reply #2260 on: January 07, 2018, 06:23:36 PM »

I'm glad to hear that, it would be a shame to get rid of it now when you are so close to getting it finished, especially after all that engraving you had done on it.

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #2261 on: January 07, 2018, 07:16:23 PM »

Whilst not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, so as to speak, Mr. M, you realise that the tapered pipe fitting of the fuel tap, has to be sealed with PTFE thread seal, or even Plumbers pipe thread sealant, to effect a good seal, within the tank threaded insert, which is why more normally parallel threads are used on taps,then utilizing fibre washers to make the seal, tap boss to tank boss so....check out the sealing qualities on those tapered threads buddy Angry....Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
minimutly

« Reply #2262 on: January 07, 2018, 09:05:45 PM »

Does plumbers (boss white?) work with petrol? I doubt it. I would look for a fuel leak stopper to put in the threads myself. Maybe ptfe is Ok though, but I don't like it much.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2263 on: January 07, 2018, 10:43:02 PM »

Don't talk to him about it - just pretend it's not there!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2264 on: January 07, 2018, 11:03:05 PM »

That's my plan Bobbi! Bike? What bike?
PTFE dissolves in petrol, so I fitted them dry. Seemed to seal O.K at first. Didn't notice the bubbling paint for a couple of days, but looked like it was above the tap, not leaking out of the threads & when I pushed the paint bubble it oozed fuel, which would suggest an actual tank leak, rather than just fumes getting under the edge of the paint around the tap mount.

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: