April 19, 2024, 10:20:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 547701 times)
the coppersmith

« Reply #2205 on: December 22, 2017, 07:40:14 PM »

Have a good one Andy, take some mince pies and clotted cream with you, radio with carols on, home from home. This "could" be your last year in a cold garage at Christmas  Grin Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2206 on: December 22, 2017, 08:41:14 PM »

That's what I'm hoping!
Don't do Christmas & don't like most festive food -mince pies, Christmas cake, Christmas pudding etc. Don't like any of it.
Planet Rock on the radio, heater on & maybe a turkey sandwich. Bliss!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2207 on: December 22, 2017, 08:57:28 PM »

Don't stay there till you get too cold!

And don't say "yes mum"

Grin

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2208 on: December 22, 2017, 09:33:26 PM »

No Mum Smiley

Tony oily bike

« Reply #2209 on: December 23, 2017, 10:27:14 AM »

"Slingshot" dragster -that is how they sit. Legs hooked over the axle tubes, gentleman's potatoes against the diff' casing & hope it doesn't explode.

We went to Big Daddy Dons on the way up to gainesville and saw the offending snapping exploding sling shot. Was quite interesting to see the evolution of all the swamp rats and switching the engine from front to back

Luckily he only lost this foot.

(on the continued highjacked theme........)

What’s less well known is that Don Garlits wasn’t the only person to suffer injury from the incident.
A teenage spectator by the name of Tim Ditt, suffered a horrific injury as his left arm was almost severed by a piece of the drum from the exploding transmission.

Very interesting reading on the incident
http://wdifl.com/Turning-Point.html

Photos of Don and Swamp Rat 1 at Goodwood in 2015
http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14869.0

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2210 on: December 23, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »

Never heard about the spectator before.

minimutly

« Reply #2211 on: December 23, 2017, 04:06:57 PM »

Ooo look at that, you can actually see it flying towards him!
Accidents at drag races still happen - heavy metal objects spinning at 90 deg to the direction of travel...
I was marshalling at an autograss national final many years ago, class 5 (minis mostly in those days), left the start line. I saw something flying up from the front of one of them, then heard the bang, then saw the clutch backplate land a few meters in front of me. He was one lucky bloke, not long after the governing body made it mandatory to fit a steel safety shield between the driver and clutch housing. Not much help for the poor start line marshals where the inline engined lot take off though? 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2212 on: December 24, 2017, 11:22:19 PM »

We'll I'm certainly having a white Christmas -spent all afternoon & evening whitewashing the walls of my new lock-up & now I'm overcome with emulsion -or masonry paint anyway.
I rent a garage from the local housing association for my truck & have been privately renting another for my bike from an old lady who lived at the end of my road. Unfortunately she died a couple of months ago, so I've been waiting for her family to ask me to move out, (I'm assuming they'll want to sell her flat). No word yet though, but I thought I ought to have another ready when they do.
So I've rented a second one in the same yard as the truck one. It's at the rougher end of the block, behind a charity shop, but hopefully will be O.K. I'm waiting for the association to fit new locks before I move anything in.
My rechargable lamp ran out of charge just as I put the last brushful of paint on & there was just enough in the tub to do it all. I've got another tub & brush though,so will give it a second coat while it's empty, but not this weekend.
So for the time being I've got 3 garages!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2213 on: December 24, 2017, 11:23:26 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2214 on: December 24, 2017, 11:26:55 PM »

I was wondering if the previous tennant had been a particularly well organised drug addict, cos there were labels chalked on the walls -medicines, tablets, child proof bottles etc -but apparently a chemists shop next door had been using it as a store room.

Baychimp

« Reply #2215 on: December 24, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »

So you managed to get it after all.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2216 on: December 24, 2017, 11:45:01 PM »

Yeah. My phone decided to hide all my voicemails a couple of weeks ago -including several from the housing association asking me to ring them before the end of the day as someone else was interested in renting it. So I rang them to apologise, expecting it to be taken, but they said I was a good tennant & already renting one, so they'd hung onto it for a bit longer, which was good of them. I'm definitely a good tenant -they get their garages back in better condition than when I take them on! Smiley

Baychimp

« Reply #2217 on: December 24, 2017, 11:50:44 PM »

Are you going to insulate the roof on this one.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2218 on: December 25, 2017, 12:05:02 AM »

Maybe. It's much higher than the other one, (pitched roof instead of flat), & made of composite material -or asbestos! instead of tin like the other one.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 12:28:36 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

the coppersmith

« Reply #2219 on: December 25, 2017, 10:26:53 AM »

You could create a loft, for those parts stored away never to see light of day again.  Wink
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: