April 25, 2024, 07:36:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 548616 times)
the coppersmith

« Reply #2115 on: September 28, 2017, 09:57:43 AM »

I once threw a right "hissy fit" over something I couldn't get right. Got taken to one side by an old sage, flatcap, pipe smoking coppersmith, and told " it cannot think for itself, it cannot move itself, its a piece of 4" pipe that "you" have made wrong, now stop thinking its something to do with the inert object and focus on what you can do correctly". Quick slap around the back of the head with a heavy welding glove, and it sunk in, its just cold metal  Grin  (I still went off and had a good sulk Cheesy)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2116 on: September 28, 2017, 03:56:08 PM »

Sadly, I'm often outwitted by innanimate objects.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #2117 on: September 28, 2017, 07:23:06 PM »

Sadly, under todays jurisdiction, and a world that is PC to the ridiculous! that "sage", and I grew up with many like him, God bless their common sense, would find himself prosecuted to the full extent of the law, for having the temerity to firstly, correct you, and then to physically assault you!! Shocked Shocked Shocked in the words of Peter Green, 'Oh well'..... Cry Cry..Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2118 on: October 01, 2017, 07:51:09 PM »

Found out today that the old lady I rent the garage from is in Hospital after suffering a stroke. Obviously I wish her the best possible recovery, but have to admit my first thought was that I might have to find another garage soon, (she lives alone in a 3rd floor flat so may have to move).
I'm convinced the garage gods are conspiring to make sure this project never sees the streets. 

terry t

« Reply #2119 on: October 01, 2017, 08:33:02 PM »

Found out today that the old lady I rent the garage from is in Hospital after suffering a stroke. Obviously I wish her the best possible recovery, but have to admit my first thought was that I might have to find another garage soon, (she lives alone in a 3rd floor flat so may have to move).
I'm convinced the garage gods are conspiring to make sure this project never sees the streets. 

You can always store it in my garage Andy Wink
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2120 on: October 01, 2017, 08:44:09 PM »

Take him up on it Andy,but he did say STORE it ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2121 on: October 02, 2017, 08:36:33 AM »

Sometimes I feel like setting fire to it! Sad
Not just a non running bike. Also my workbench, a stack of boxes full of spares, plus the pick-up bed from my truck.
I can rent another garage from the local housing association, but this one's at the end of the street I live in, so I could use the bike for commuting to work if I felt like it. Just more upheaval & expense.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2122 on: October 02, 2017, 08:43:31 AM »

Spoke to the old lady's daughter. It happened a month ago, (I pay the rent monthly & after trying her doorbell several times, put it through the door in an envelope). Her daughter found her on the floor of her flat, where she'd been all night. She's still in hospital & can only talk a little but was worried I'd be concerned -I am. She's a lovely old girl, but there's nothing I can do to help. So I'll carry on dropping the rent in until further notice.
We take our health for granted don't we. There's more important things in life than vehicles.

andbolt0

« Reply #2123 on: October 02, 2017, 04:21:19 PM »

if it is a council lock up could you not rent it direct off the council should anything happen to the old lady

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2124 on: October 02, 2017, 06:09:47 PM »

Privately owned, 30 quid a month.
I rent one from a local housing association for 43 quid a month, where I keep my truck & most of the tools & parts for it. 20 minutes walk from home. The bike one's 2 minutes walk away. Someone moved out of the block where the truck is, but I'm not sure I want 2 together -it'd be convenient but they're in the middle of a council estate & they get broken into from time to time. Mine's been O.K so far, (touch wood), but maybe I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket so to speak. Also might look bad if I bale out as soon as the landlady gets ill. Just playing it by ear at the moment.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2125 on: October 05, 2017, 09:09:25 PM »

Thanks to Tom for calling in on his way home from work this evening to sort out new earth wires for the headlight & tail light.
The headlight earthed to it's own shell, but the headstock bearings are packed in grease, so would've isolated the front end from the frame. Now it earths back to the top engine mount.
The tail light also earthed to the shell, but the light & the frame are both powder coated, so a poor earth. Seperate wire now fed up inside the frame leg to the battery box. Sorted.
Thanks Tom Smiley

Archie

« Reply #2126 on: October 06, 2017, 09:09:52 AM »

MOT TIME!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2127 on: October 06, 2017, 09:34:30 AM »

Cheesy Been waiting for someone to tig weld new fuel tap mounts into the tank for 2 months, then have to fill, rub down & repaint it.
Got to fill , rub down & repaint various frame sections around the new seat mounts.
Got to pull the engine side casings off & investigate the noisy clutch.
Try & remove the exhaust baffles that are stuck & wrap them in wadding before Dslam gives the carbs a final tweak.
Then MOT time! Smiley

mrhutch

« Reply #2128 on: October 06, 2017, 11:54:48 AM »

monday then.... 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2129 on: October 06, 2017, 01:42:13 PM »

Cheesy Yeah, should be, but somehow I doubt it.

Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: