April 26, 2024, 08:01:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: my polishing setup  (Read 6320 times)
afghanman

« on: May 13, 2010, 05:36:32 PM »

Thought you lot might like to see this?
Its my rather heath robinson polishing setup. Needs must and all that Roll Eyes

Works a treat  Cool
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u284/afghanman_photos/IMGP0004-1.jpg
my polishing setup

and the results Smiley
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u284/afghanman_photos/bikes/ugly%20duckling/rearbrakeplate.jpg
my polishing setup

before,,,,,
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u284/afghanman_photos/bikes/ugly%20duckling/polishedrearbrakeplate.jpg
my polishing setup

and after.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u284/afghanman_photos/bikes/ugly%20duckling/polishedfrontdrum.jpg
my polishing setup

pkdsculpture.moonfruit.com
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 06:14:18 PM »

Wow! That's impressive Paul. Just shows you don't need to spend loads of dosh to get a top dollar finish.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
DIZZY

Ride it like you want it

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:17:34 PM »

Is there any chance you you could do a step by step of how you would go about doing some polishing from start to finish? i aint got a clue how you use all those different coloured  soap bars but would love to have ago just dont know how to do it.

Dizzy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 09:36:19 PM »

Yes please! Grin

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Clive

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 08:19:10 AM »

yep, I'd appreciate that too!!!!

Clive

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
twofut

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 02:42:52 PM »

that is so good Grin
afghanman

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 05:39:17 PM »

I'll post up tomorrow chaps, as I have half my polishing kit down in my workshop and I will be going there in the morning.

So the tutorial will come with pictures Cheesy

thebigdogsix

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 05:45:31 PM »

Watching with interest  Smiley
afghanman

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 07:11:31 PM »

Okay, here is all the stuff I use for polishing, Along with the angle grinder and flexable drive that I attach to my pillar drill.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u284/afghanman_photos/bikes/ugly%20duckling/polishingkit.jpg
my polishing setup

All these bits I bought from my local bricomarche I would think that B&Q will most likely stock something similar.  You are probably thinking that the wire cup brush on the angle grinder looks a bit severe  Shocked and you would be right! but it was the onle thing that would remove the black coating from the brake plate and these controls.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u284/afghanman_photos/bikes/ugly%20duckling/IMGP0006-1.jpg
my polishing setup

I tried just about kind of paint stipper that I could lay my hands on and nothing would touch it.
By the way DON'T ever think about useing caustic soda on ally,,,,,,,,,,it eats it!

So a light touch with a worn out wire brush, just enough to break though the surface so that the alloy is visable .

afghanman

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »

Sorry this is coming along in parts Embarrassed for some reason I couldn't post it all in one go Huh kept running out of space!
Added to all the various brushes you will need different grades of wet and dry, fine wire wool I use 000 mutton cloth and metal polish. Good old Solvol and Brasso. By the way, Brasso is basically brick dust and ammonia, its abrasive qualities are good but its not so hot on making alloy shiny!
the other stuff I use is car cutting compound (T cut) and ,,,,,,,,wait for it ,,,,,,,,bath cleaner Shocked Its called CIF here in France, probably the same in England, I would use vim if it was still available!

I don't know what you are all looking to polish but the first thing you really need to do is to clean as best you can the parts so that you can assess what needs to be done! you don't really want to take some coarse abrasive to something that just needs a quick buff up. You almost want to start with the finest grade of wet and dry or wire wool just to see how things are. coarse abrasive will get some quick results but instead of a few surface scratches you will end up with about a million!

One thing you have to be carefull of when polishing alloy using any kind of fast moving brush or mop is drag! this is when the surface heats up and ,,,well drags, so too much pressure and to fast a speed with your wheel or in my case pillar drill will cause this.

So I start like this. Its not rocket science and it can be a bit laborious but at the end very rewarding Cool
so fine wet and dry in warm water with a dash of washing up liquid. if you have any deep scratches you can concentrate on the areas with something a little coarser and then go back to the fine.
Hard to get to areas are where the odd brushes and fibre mops come in to play along with wire wool and bath cleaner.
 the whole principal is to work your way down the grades until you are at the final buffing stage. If you don't go through all the stages and just start buffing chances are it won't look that good!
Another tip is to use wet and dry with thin oil or even WD 40 you will be amazed at the shine you can get.
So elbow grease is the order of the day and it is probably a good idea to find a bit of sacrificial alloy and try all the tools out just to get a feel of how much pressure you can use without doing any damage.  

If you can get hold of one of the fat brown buffing wheels they work a treat. not too aggressive and they can get into awkward places.
The rope wheel is the one I load up with the soap bar, just hold it against the wheel when its running . 

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 10:20:08 AM by afghanman » Logged

panthershaun

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 08:14:48 PM »

very cool Paul, shall i bring some stuff down for you to polish  Grin Grin Wink

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
afghanman

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 08:16:08 PM »

If you bring some English beer I'll polish that off Grin Grin

Clive

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »

I now have a shiny exhaust can!!!! Cheesy

Clive

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
panthershaun

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 07:02:40 AM »

If you bring some English beer I'll polish that off Grin Grin

any preference  Huh Huh Huh

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
afghanman

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »

"Oooh" Wadsworth 6x would be spiffing Grin

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: