April 28, 2024, 04:17:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]
  Print  
Author Topic: Archie's XS  (Read 104663 times)
Galaxie500

« Reply #360 on: April 02, 2014, 10:27:09 PM »

I wondered where the extra bike in the workshop had come from. I see you expanding the collection!  Cheesy
Archie

« Reply #361 on: April 03, 2014, 12:39:14 PM »

1 out 1 in mate

Optimum is N + 1 with N being the amount of bikes you own
Archie

« Reply #362 on: April 06, 2014, 11:38:55 AM »

Had me tank welded the other day and is now fuel tight.

Where the fuel lines have gone hard and old I couldn't quite get them on the tank so tried to fire it up on carb cleaner. It was making all the right noises but not quite going, so I wrestled the lines on and threw some fuel in.

And away she went on the button. Wouldn't quite sit idling but I think that's ok for not being run for 30 years.

The piper system makes it sound pretty fierce and it skipped across the workshop backwards on the centre stand.

Next job is put the air box back together and seat on and see of she rides ok.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:07:44 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #363 on: April 06, 2014, 05:09:41 PM »

Grin What I remember as being the latest must-have accessories, (like Piper exhausts), are now "old school". Jeez, I'm getting old!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #364 on: April 07, 2014, 08:42:40 AM »

Grin What I remember as being the latest must-have accessories, (like Piper exhausts), are now "old school". Jeez, I'm getting old!
For us it was Gold Star silencers, twin leading shoe brakes, Borrani rims and float bowl extensions on the monoblocks.
And you think, you're getting old. Roll Eyes  Cheesy

Looks like that bike may be a keeper Archie. Smiley
If not you know where I am.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:17:08 AM by Old Newbie » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
the coppersmith

« Reply #365 on: April 07, 2014, 08:47:35 AM »

Oh dear, I remember them to Roll Eyes reverse cone meggies, getting a seat with a hump on it, ball end levers, and of course rear sets and clip on's, would love to build one again but most are out of my price range now.
Baychimp

« Reply #366 on: April 07, 2014, 07:55:28 PM »

For me it was a Norton Dominator with a Paul Dunstall conversion.
dobber

« Reply #367 on: April 16, 2014, 07:33:38 AM »

i remember my penny farthing, by christ that front wheel was big, pain when it got a splinter [not a puncture]

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
Archie

« Reply #368 on: April 19, 2014, 08:24:20 PM »

Nice to hear -

That's excellent news. The bike was completely stripped, frame painted and engine/gearbox rebuilt. New bearings where needed, new parts where needed and of course new gaskets. So providing she runs ok then a good clean is probably all she'll need.  Delighted she's gone to a good home Smiley
Archie

« Reply #369 on: April 22, 2014, 10:44:04 PM »

Hit the unit today to put back together -

I put the air box back on, but left the side covers off and swapped the plugs over for some which should be better to run it on.

Put some air in the tyres and away we went.

Thought I was going to have clutch issues as when putting it in first it would lurch forward and stall, but after the third time it didn't do it again, so think it wasn't moving properly.

Front brake was sticking slightly but that was the only issue. Got it up to third around the village and initially seems to be ok. Handles alright if turns in a bit quick, but thats due to the drop bars I think. Feels a bit bigger sitting on it which is good.

Runs a lot better with the air box on as well and sits happily idling for a bit. I imagine each time it gets started and run about it will free a load of stuff off so gets easier to start each time.

Only thing is that the engine seemed to get hot very quickly, but I didn't get up to any speed really so would Imagine that's normal.
Archie

« Reply #370 on: April 30, 2014, 01:38:24 PM »

Insured

Tenner a month.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #371 on: April 30, 2014, 05:38:39 PM »

Bargain!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Archie

« Reply #372 on: May 14, 2014, 09:53:25 PM »

Went through its mot no probs. needs a fork seal though.

Trying to tax it was a pain though. Couldn't do it online as it's not on the database anymore. No problem up to the post office then. I presented the log book to the girl on the desk to be greeted by a blank look. I got a snotty remark of there's nothing to scan you'll have to go elsewhere.

Down to the main office then. Presented all my documents again and once again a blank look, followed by a remark of you can't get tax without a logbook. The lady next to her quickly pointed out that the blue bit is the logbook. This was followed by lots of running around and I was presented with a logbook application form. Hey ho let's play ball and see what happens.

Filled in and went to give it back to be told the woman serving me had gone on her lunch. Great. Got my tax eventually at the new higher price. Turns out there's now 3 tax brackets for bikes as a pose to the 2 previously. I guess this ties in with the new 3 step licencing program.

First run out tonight to Alton cafe!

Fuel tank took £16 so very empty, but away we go. Met my dad at The Lord derby and we wormed our way through odiham to Alton. Lovely sweeping bends and the combination of skinny tyres and drop bars meant the bike wanted to change direction quicker than the road did.

Got to Alton, had a mooch and a chat and then went to leave.

On the way up I lost my indicators and other bits from the switch gear and put this down to a bad connection somewhere. Part of this was the neutral light. Pressed the button and the thing fired up in gear. Pretty sure it was left in neutral but worked its way into first while it was sat.

I managed to catch it, but looked like a right tit in front of everyone.

It then wouldn't fire on the button and quickly turned to flat battery. I think it's not charging properly, but the plan is to upgrade it to a li-on at some point.

30 or so kicks later it sorted its life out and fired up - so I nailed while I had the thing alive. Maybe a bit quick for the carpark but I needed to go before everyone saw my redface.

Halfway down the Alton road indicators and lights were back so I guess there was a bit more juice in the battery. And by the end of it the smoother riding style from 4 years back had returned. This one Definately likes a bit of back brake and slow into bend with a hard drive out. Skinny wheels are well wobbly though!

So just need to get that battery on charge and see if that helps as well as strapping the battery in tight as inthink it's jiggling a bit.

Couldn't get it to the ton though, but I imagine I was acting as a bit of a sail. Plus it's old and slow!
Archie

« Reply #373 on: June 14, 2014, 11:13:36 AM »

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af318/archie_837/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/CCBBB634-0377-4396-9F66-1468CBFE9491_zpsxknjbrhz.jpg
Archie's XS

EURGH

Indicators gone, main headlight no longer works
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]
  Print  

Jump to: