April 27, 2024, 05:51:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: XVS650 poor running.  (Read 8277 times)
kapri

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 08:01:01 PM »

What I was told by someone whose worked on bikes and cars all his life is that the modern lead-free fuel leaves an 'emulsion' like a kind of varnish, on the carb parts including the jets.  I've had problems with my Kwak after winter layups and usually cure it by shoving in an overdose of 'fuel system cleaner'.  Whether or not that's the problem, the cure works.

However as that's not the problem with the XVS it's irrelevant.

Yup, it's pain in the parts , particularly noticeable on 4 barrel carbs as it often causes flooding after even a short layup...and the ethanol percentage is set tp increase shortly:(
Olds

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »

Didn't mean to start a fuel war  Cheesy
Well took the bike out today and for the most part all seems good. Ticks over fine, runs ok at all throttle positions, however it there is a brief hesitancy when I open the throttle, most noticeable at low revs.
Not sure if these carbs have an accelerator pump built in.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Olds

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 11:04:52 AM »

Cry Miss fire back with a vengeance. Would not fire on the front cylinder at all. Cleaned the carbs but no change. Checked the spark plugs, seem fine, with a good spark. Swapped the plugs around and the miss fire moved with it. One plug has a healthy spark, as long as it's not in the engine. Huh  Jumped on the trike and two bike shops later I have a pair of new plugs and the 650 is running like a dream. Grin

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 11:21:49 AM »

So often it's something simple in the end!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Mendalot

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »

For interest purposes only and not to fuel any argument (groan) Grin  This is a selection of unleaded fuel ranging from fresh on the left through to 3 year old stuff on the right, the third pot is 18 months and will only burn with a lazy flame. Its not too clear in the picture, the shades of  colour are very different, the fresh being a weak lime cordial colour. 

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo343/PDSheridan/Photo01-07-2014164529Copy_zpsa6cab96d.jpg
XVS650 poor running.

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 07:14:11 PM »

No argument from me - it's pretty bad after 3 weeks, never mind 3 years!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: