April 28, 2024, 07:12:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bought a new phone yesterday.  (Read 5586 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: April 09, 2006, 01:48:53 PM »

Took it back today.
What is it with me & technology?!! My old Samsung's starting to play up, the screen keeps going blank, so I thought I'd re-use the money I didn't spend on a TV the other week to treat myself to a new phone instead. The camera version of my old one. Got it home, charged it up over night, SIM card in, switch on...nothing. None of the keys did anything. Several hours of playing with it then we gave up. Was going to get a refund but I still need a new phone so relented & just accepted a relacement.
There was a big banner in the Virgin store advertising their no complications policy -"No Monkey Business". Ahh, no wonder it didn't work then!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
yoda
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 01:53:41 PM »

The dictionary are replaceing the word Luddite with Manky Monkey  Grin  Grin

http://www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk
a saveloy of the first order
A self propelling luggage cappacity system
Officially a lady of the night
owner of 'Yoda's magnificent emporium of snappingness'
and light bulb mogul of the Midlands
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 04:13:20 PM »

Think I'm just an old fashioned guy. Haven't quite got the hang of the 20th century yet, let alone the 21st.

wizzkitt

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 04:34:56 PM »

I got a new phone last week (I upgrade my phone every year on principle). Put the sim card in it, decided after five minutes I didn't like it, and put the sim back in the old phone!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 08:53:46 PM »

Aha, you're a Luddette then. Think I should stick to something simpler -like Semaphor.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 03:52:18 PM »

I bought a new battery for my old phone the other day, it's great, it stays usable for several days now instead of about 24 hours!

My adult daughters looked at me strangely when I said I was getting a new battery - they 'upgrade' every year, and their phones take photos and all that.

I like my old phone!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
yoda
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 05:37:26 PM »

Phones are cool they make coffee, have satnav, take pics, play music, you can even call people on them too  Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 08:56:57 PM »

Thank you Inspector Gadget.
Well, I lasted one morning with my new phone, before slinging it in a drawer & going back to my old one. Excuse me while I have a little rant:
The new "improved" one had a camera, but not a megapixel one, so the photos aren't good enough for website use, which is the only reason I was going for a camera one, plus there's no facility to download the fuzzy piccies to a computer anyway. The shutter button is on the outside of the phone, doesn't have a lock & can be activated with the phone shut. Every time I move the damn thing goes off. I've deleted a dozen photos of the inside of my pocket today.     
The volume control's on the outside too. Every time I move it turns itself down so I can't hear it ring. It switches to answerphone almost immediately; there's no Call Back facility so I have to cut & paste numbers into the Message bit, (missed 2 calls today); when I tried to answer a call from Ska Man I ended up talking to a driving instructor in York! it's twice the size & weight of my old phone; I use a phone case with a belt clip cos my uniform trouser pockets are quite big & I'd lose it -the new case has a plastic cover over the screen that renders it unreadable in daylight; it takes 2 hands to open it; it's got bloody silly ringtones -which I can't hear anyway.
Don't want an all singing, all dancing toy, just a useable phone.
I've gone back to the old one. Alexander Graham Bell has a lot to answer for.  Angry
O.K, I'm all ranted out.   Grin 

yoda
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 07:53:04 AM »

so you didnt like it then  Grin

what model was it??

Yoda

Urban Terrorist

Hatfield Rat Pack

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 07:53:13 AM »

I bought a Nokia 3220 a couple of months ago, it's out of date already Grin Grin

Infact, just got a new cover today for it:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f107/motostunter/5f_1_b.jpg
Bought a new phone yesterday.

I reckon it suits me Grin Grin

Matt black is the best, f**k the rest!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 11:16:04 AM »

Grin Yup, a perfect likeness!
No idea what mine was -hang on, I'll go & look......
'tis a Samsung X640 & no, I don't care if the specs say it does all manner of wonderous things, I still prefer my old one. The oldun's smaller, lighter,easier to use, (I can open it, answer a text, shut it & put it back in my pocket one handed while carrying a bundle of letters in the other hand & a 16 kilo bag of mail on my shoulder), the display is easier to read, the ring tones are easier to hear & it's old enough & beaten up enough that I don't care if I drop it or use it in the garage with oily grubby hands.
My previous girlfriend was fascinated by phones & changed hers every 6 months or so whenever the adverts in her gossip magazines told her she should. My old Samsung's one of her cast-offs. I guess I'm just not very materialistic. Don't need a super dooper wide screen, LCD TV, a new car, new phone or whatever the latest gizzmo is. I don't even own a toaster. Think I'd rather get my old phone repaired & stick with that.

Speedmaster

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 11:55:58 AM »

Not a happy Manky then!!!
Get yerself a Motorola V547.  Brilliant, comes with Bluetooth, goodish camera (after a bit of practice). Get a dongle for your computer and away you go. Very simple to use (has to be for me)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 12:58:10 PM »

Never quite understood what BlueTooth is -is that like Black Beard, or Green Fingers, or Gold Fish? Fed up with technology. I'm gonna go live in a cave & throw rocks at people. Angry

critch

i love the smell of nitrous in the morning

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 12:58:52 PM »

i succomed and bought a phone last year to use when i go away etc thats all i use it for ...cant be bothered with all the hassle tbh... thing only cost me £20 and i put £20 quid on it in total theres still 10 quid on it.....

i put one £10 on it the other week when i went to the isle of man and couldnt use the bugger.....

hate sodding mobiles
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 01:01:03 PM »

Ha! I am not alone! I use mine a lot but still don't like the things.
My sister's emigrating to Canada soon, so we'll be getting SKYPE, the internet based free phone system. Lots of scope there for major hassles!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: