April 27, 2024, 08:29:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailers and Tribulations  (Read 18843 times)
tbone

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2010, 01:14:24 PM »

The weld`s a bit holy, too windy to weld outside really but it`ll do for this.
I`m off to find some pins now, yeah i could use bolts and drill my own holes, but i may search out a very small padlock or two while i`m out  Wink
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:18:32 PM by tbone » Logged

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
tbone

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2010, 02:53:44 PM »

Today i have mostly been latheing around  Grin.
Decided i wasn`t gonna buy the pins to secure the tailgate, i`d make some instead. Just some simple metal turning on the lathe transforms a 17mm bolt into a 11.5mm pin, and here was me thinking the only way to round off a bolt head was by using mole grips on it  Grin. Only rough cut cos i only have 2 lathe tools and one of those is a parting tool  Roll Eyes
I`ll shine it up then cross drill it to take the r clip.

tbone

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2010, 05:34:23 PM »

Today i drilled the ends of the tailgate out and then drilled my pins to take the newly bought clips

tbone

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2010, 05:36:07 PM »

The pins are then dropped into the holes and secured underneath with the clips.

tbone

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2010, 10:33:06 AM »

And to make sure i never lose the pins, i slipped them onto a ring attached to a small chain (an old dog choker to be precise), then welded the other end of the chain to the trailer frame.

tbone

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2010, 10:43:36 AM »

With the back now finished, i turned my attention to the front. Since (i believe) 1997, all unbraked trailers have to have a Secondary Attachment Device, this is simply a way of keeping the trailer attached to the vehicle in the unlikely event the towing attachment fails, it also needs to be able to keep the trailer nose in the air, to stop it bumping along behind you.
The ones i`ve seen are purely short lengths of steel wire with a hook on the end, since i have to have one, it may as well be duel functional and serve as an anti-theft device too. So its out with some spare chain which i welded to the neck of the trailer, once i`ve trimmed it to length, it`ll wrap around the towbar and hook back on itself, when the trailer isn`t in use, i can use the chain to padlock it to something solid so it wont be nicked  Wink

tbone

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2010, 10:48:28 AM »

Another pic, just because i have it really.
Almost finished now, still have to mount the mudguards, i have the pair that were fitted to the old trailer, but they have seen better days, if i cant do anything with them i`ll have to buy another pair  Sad

bitzman5

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2010, 12:48:04 AM »

Hi TBone would the chain be more secure under the tow hitch on top of ball that plate looks a bit thin to keep it upright in case off hitch failure

May your gardian angel fly faster than you can ride
cunningplan

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2010, 07:11:04 AM »

Hope TB dont mind, but I will answer that, them plates are to stop you damaging the bumper/bodywork of your car when hitching up, they are thicker than you think and are very strong, also it has a waisted bit (Where TB has put the chain around, this will stop it from jumping off.
You should not put it around the ball hitch as sometime its this which breaks off (It does happen) so you might as well not have one.

tbone

« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2010, 08:30:14 AM »

I don`t mind at all Tony  Wink

tbone

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2010, 11:17:02 AM »

Fitted the mudguards today, these ones are plastic and came with the trailer, not the best looking things in the world but hey, its only a trailer. A little bit of platic welding (melting them with a soldering iron) and they are back in one piece, then a quick coat of paint makes them look slightly better.
Very straightforward to fit, put them where you want them, drill some holes and bolt them in place.

tbone

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2010, 11:19:01 AM »

Just a little bit of tidying on the chassis to do then i`ll be ready to paint and fit the base in, or i may do the base next, we`ll see.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2010, 10:27:35 PM »

What are the guards bolted to TB? Brackets or through the back edge direct to the trailer frame?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
tbone

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2010, 08:19:16 AM »

The pastic guard has a small steel frame on the inside so it was a simple matter of drilling through then bolting directly to the trailer frame.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: