April 27, 2024, 11:46:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vw trike rear disc conversion  (Read 3814 times)
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« on: March 28, 2006, 10:02:35 PM »

any help on this will be appreciated  Smiley  cheap parts or just info. thanks Cool

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
lunatic

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 03:54:23 PM »

Hello mate. Rear disc kits are really pricey! about 400 quid! But the only non stock parts are the hubs and the caliper mounts, apparently! You can use the hubs off a type 3 (variant) not sure which discs, probably mk 2 golf or camper front discs, mk2 golf rear calipers( which have a handbrake) and cut the caliper mounts from some hefty plate! I spoke to Mike at Machine 7 (08707 668456) who was really helpful and didnt just try to flog me something. Which was nice! He does all the kits but he cant break them an sell the bits. The kit does have some nice billet caliper mounts and all the cables are the right length! Hope that helps. Smiley
lunatic

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 05:33:33 PM »

Check on volkszone forums. someone posted a rear disc thread. looks like someone sells cheap kits. Apparently euro car parts do a EMPI rear disc kit for 128 quid!
lunatic

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 05:36:14 PM »

got a how to link. looks pretty good and simple.
http://www.airsouls.com/how-tos/rear_discs.htm
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 08:41:24 PM »

Very similar to our Reliant disc conversions. We use VW Golf calipers too -a choice I arrived at more by chance than anything else. They work well & look great on the back of a trike but aren't really much more effective than well maintained drums, due mainly to the light weight of our trikes I think. We use 3 or 4mm plate for the caliper mounts but ours are much shorter than the VW set up, bolting direct to the end of the axle in place of the Reliant drum back plate. There's a write up on them in the Motors, 3 Wheels bit.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 11:25:01 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 10:20:17 PM »

Hi, thanks for help. im toying with the idea of disc brakes a bit later in the year. its got to be done on a budget Sad  I have even been thinking of making up some "inboard" discs... it wouldnt be impossible Smiley

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: