May 01, 2024, 11:01:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Lister D type  (Read 14427 times)
tbone

« on: December 21, 2009, 12:38:09 PM »

Just because i haven`t done much on my trike build for a while don`t mean i`ve been a lazy git, oh ok then, maybe  Grin.
Let me introduce Ellie.
She`a a 1952 Lister D type engine.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 12:42:31 PM »

thats smart . my dads got a "petter" mounted on a dolly and a lad near us has about six engines steam and deisel that he takes to shows . do you show yours  Tongue
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 12:43:06 PM »

Very pretty TB does she run?

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
tbone

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »

The Lister D is a fairly common engine on the stationary engine circuit, there are a few reasons for this, firstly, production of this engine ran from 1926 to 1964 and in that time 250,000 units were made in different specs, so there are still plenty around in various conditions. Secondly, they are simple. There is really nothing to them, a single cylinder engine means one piston, 2 valves fitted in a simple head, the most basic carb ever and a magneto to spark the plug, and thats the reason for getting her.

tbone

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 12:49:56 PM »

Blair, not yet.....only just finished the rebuild. I plan on getting something for her to run... more on that tomorrow  Wink
Doc, yes she does! starts easier than i thought she would with only one teething issue, a small leak from the fuel line connection. I pinched that up and we are A1.

TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:56:29 PM »

Kool, something to tow behind the trike then. Grin

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Clive

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 12:57:54 PM »

Or drive it!!!! Cheesy Cheesy

Clive

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 02:09:50 PM »

i may pinch the design of your trolley and show me dad as his dolly isnt very good and nips your fingers if you catch it wrong , nice engine be good if you had it working something , everyshow ive been to they are running but not actualy doing anything , even if it was a basic windmill it would be good
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 03:48:02 PM »

When I worked on a farm when I was young - oh yes, in the dim and distant past! - we had an electric motor to run the milking machine.  But we also had powercuts.  So when we had powercuts, we just fuelled up the old engine - I spect it was very similar to that - pulled the cord, and away she went!  Not used for months on end, sometimes over a year, and I don't remember it ever letting us down.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 05:52:41 PM »

I do like that TB, but that's never the motor they put in the Lister Jags. of the 50's is it? only kidding', honest, I know they had more than one cylinder!!! Nadolig Llawen pawb, Morrag( PS. almost had a Coventry Climax Fire pump a couple of years back, but the 'fools' scrapped it before I could get there!! ho hum)

Beware the Ides of March, But!
tbone

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 06:36:44 PM »

Blair, the trolley design is by R.A. Lister, it was available as an extra. Mine isn`t an original one but made to the same design. There are a lot of exhibitors at shows that run water pumps and occasionaly you`ll spot one running a dynamo to power a lighting board which is different. I`m hoping to be different again by using the engine to run a piece of equipment, something i`ve not seen being done yet  Wink.

Cheers Morrag, shame about the pump, it doesn`t bare thinking about, just how much stuff like that ends up being re-cycled!
The Lister-Petter (now owned by Hawker Siddley, yes the airoplane makers) factory was in Dursley, about 5 miles from me, i say was but its still there, just not on the scale it used to be (most of the site is now a housing estate), i used to deliver parts to them many years ago.

tbone

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 07:49:56 PM »

Tomorrow has come early! just sealed the deal so this is what i bought for the engine to run.

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 09:37:19 PM »

Once that grinder is fully automated, I see a new profession coming on Mr T, door to door sharpening knives, shears et al............Blwyddyn Newydd Dda, y'all, Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Plasticpig

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 12:04:59 AM »

He could get a s*decar chassis and put the grinder on that.  Cheesy

My mate Mouse bought this huge 800cc V twin diesel generator not long ago, and is planning on building a bike with it. Mad as a hatter.
tbone

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 06:30:18 AM »

Once that grinder is fully automated, I see a new profession coming on Mr T, door to door sharpening knives, shears et al............Blwyddyn Newydd Dda, y'all, Morrag

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: