April 28, 2024, 06:55:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: a quick hello and questions (sorry)  (Read 5576 times)
baldylocks

« on: November 30, 2009, 12:43:01 AM »

hello all!
 i have been reading this forum for some time, lots of useful info from knowledgeable people that I'm sure to ask dumb questions any time soon Cheesy
i was going to build a reverse trike using a Honda cn250 but looking at the bigger picture has led me to stop, even though the bike is in lots of bits in the shed.
the reason being that swmbo is disabled and a smoother ride is needed so 2 wheels at the back with independent suspension,plus no msva Tongue   the trike is for when were away with our camper and me to play on Cool
i have some triumph herald rear hubs and driveshafts would these be ok if i found a diff to run em?
but now i dont have a bike to convert,swmbo likes goldwings and the likes but funds say no, is there any cheap tourers ? btw i know nowt about bikes never rode 1

thanks  baldylocks and the three hairs
ROD

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 05:51:38 AM »

Hi Baldy 'n' welcome.Im sure someone will be along to answer your Q's who's far more knowledgable than me! I have seen complete herald rear ends used. I thought they look really cool,but not sure if they worked ok in practice! There is definitely a fountain of knowledge on here which will enable you to anwer all the questions during a build (they did for me!)
              Rod
panthershaun

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 08:59:25 AM »

eh up chief, may be able to find you a Herald diff but not promising anything... why not go the Reliant route as they seem cheaper (though harder and harder to find) than a decent shafty bike donor??

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
baldylocks

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:51:13 PM »

thanks for your replies Rod and Panthershaun,
regarding the herald rear end was thinking would it convert  to disc brakes and how?
did not think reliants had IRS, was looking at the sierra route but at full width thats some R,SEND
and it all depends what bike i end up with Undecided

thanks
panthershaun

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:27:38 PM »

I meant use a Reliant motor and an irs rear axle

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
baldylocks

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 03:45:36 PM »

ah i see panthershaun , told ya i would ask dumb questions here is another what frame would fit a reliant motor etc?  i was trying to avoid msva the saved money was for gagets gizmo's and doodads... Cheesy

thanks
ROD

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 04:27:58 PM »

I may be wrong  Roll Eyes ,but I think the only way round avoiding MSVA is to have a bike converted to trike by bolting on a rear end so that it is removable.
tbone

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 05:27:38 PM »

Spot on Rod, if your registered disabled then a conversion will not have to undergo an MSVA inspection or as Rod says, if its a `bolt on` conversion that does not radically alter the excisting frame and allows the bike to be returned to `normal`. Either way though, expect a visit from the DVLA cos they will still want to check it out and make sure for themselves.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 09:40:41 PM »

GT550 or GT750 if you want a cheap tourer.  Do a simple bolt on rear end and you don't need MSVA but with a standard bike front end the steering is hard work.

Technically, I'm not sure about whether the 'disabled' exemtion applies if it's the passenger who's disabled - good place to ask is the NABD forum (National Association for Bikers with a Disability).

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
toad

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »

even new builds from scratch are exempt if your registered disabled providing reciepts and parts match the registration process Wink

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 11:33:37 PM »

I understand that the exemption applies if it's designed for the use of a disabled passenger. You have to prove it though  Wink

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
ROD

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 04:50:46 AM »

Dunno if rules have changed ,but a few years ago a mate was allowed road tax exemption cos his missus was disabled ,and his car was their only form of transport.
baldylocks

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 03:16:30 PM »

hi thanks for all the replies,
yes am aware that to avoid msva it has to be a bolt on rear end,  this gives me an advantage with winter storage, i dont want to go the disabled route as there are then usage restrictions.

have read about effects on steering with bike conversions  this down to weight transference have read about trying to keep weight on all wheels equal or have i read it wrong or is it duff info!

thanks
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 08:08:37 PM »

Most bike/trike conversions tend to sit very high at the back, which throws the vehicle's weight forward onto the front end, making the steering feel heavy -also makes 'em look a little out of proportion in my own personal opinion, but then, I'm a fan of low slung rigid frames meself. Biker Gran's GT550 conversion's one of my favourite bike/trikes cos it looks ...right.

http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/Trikespageimages/gertie/trike.html

Oh, welcome to the forum by the way mate.  Grin

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 10:01:46 PM »

There are no usage restrictions on a trike registered under the disabled exemption. However it should only be used when needed/valid.

The SVA is easy so the best route really.

Handling wise, even-ish  weight distribution to each wheel is a good starting point.

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: