April 30, 2024, 06:43:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Charity bike ride to Boxhill, Surrey.  (Read 2785 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: March 14, 2006, 01:41:54 PM »

Sunday, 14th May '06.

Right, had a couple of emails from Karen, one of my dearest, most long-standing friends. She's asked to use the forum to advertise a charity event & I never could resist her smile, or her bullying, so listen up you lot!
Karen & her hubby, Fran, were the driving, (riding?), force behind the Fox & Hounds MCC, of whom I have very fond memories from my teenage years. She's been visually impaired since early childhood so can't ride or drive, but is the most enthusiastic pillion I've ever met. A lifelong bike fan.
Imagine not being able to read magazines, newspapers or books. The visually impaired, ("VIs"), rely on the talking book service run by the RNIB, but less than 5% of books are available & rarely at the same time as they appear in normal printed versions. It can take up to 3 years to convert them.
Karen & Fran now belong to the Chippenham "RAT pack", (Riders' Association of Triumph -a slightly tenuous title for riders of modern Hinckley Triumphs). They're raising money to have Ewen McGregor's "Long Way Round" book converted to spoken word CD & aim to collect £2,500.
Among other events is a charity bike run to Boxhill, near Dorking in Surrey. This has been a popular meeting place for bikers since before the last war with hundreds gathering in the carpark at the foot of the hill on Summer Sunday mornings & Bank Holidays. Great riding roads, spectacular view from the top of the hill, permanent burger restaurant on site etc. See the Rally/Show Photos section for piccies of previous Boxhill meets.
The route is still being planned but will obviously run from Wiltshire, crossing through Berkshire & Hampshire & into Surrey. Open to all bikers, a £2 donation per bike is requested. Turnout is expected to be high so come along, enjoy the ride & do your bit.
Donations can also be made via Ian Gauld, service manager at "Taylor Racing", (Triumph dealership),
23 - 25 Station Hill,
Chippenham,
Wilts.
SN15 1EG.
01249-657575, (option 4).
Cheques payable to RNIB.                                Thank you. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 02:16:03 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 02:01:25 PM »

Is there a date for this run?  Or a starting place?

When we do our Mistletoe run we always ask for a fiver - no-one complains!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 02:06:42 PM »

Date will be those big numbers & letters across the top of the page Hon! Starting point I'm guessing will be at the Triumph dealership in Chippenham but the route is still being planned, collecting riders along the way. 2 quid is obviously a minimum -feel free to give as much as you want. Not sure I can make it myself so have already sent a cheque. It IS a worthy cause & a charity registration number is available to those that want to claim back the tax on their donation.

wizzkitt

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 05:52:03 PM »

Knowing in what esteem you hold Karen  Smiley can I nick the details of the run for Clubs & Events?

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 06:00:13 PM »

Date will be those big numbers & letters across the top of the page

Embarrassed

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 02:20:44 PM »

UPDATE.

Starting point will be the Little Chef/petrol station on the A350 at Chippenham, Wilts, probably 9 - 9.30 Sunday 14th May '06.
Route is yet to be finalised so I'll let you know when I do.

Thanks Wizzy, that'd be very much appreciated. Kiss
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 02:29:23 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: