April 28, 2024, 07:26:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Kent  (Read 6816 times)
tbone

« on: September 25, 2009, 09:55:48 PM »

Mrs T and i had a few days away in Kent this week, its a county we havdent seen much of for nearly 15 years.
Not your traditional seaside holiday, but none the less, packed with places to go and things to see.
First up, leeds castle

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
tbone

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 10:00:51 PM »

canterbury cathedral.... not many pics of the interior, not that i`m in the least bit religious but you have to respect those that are and the history of the building.

tbone

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »

Museum of kent, kent life.... a farmyard setting depicting the rural living of a bygone age (with the noisiest pigletts you will ever hear)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 10:09:54 PM by tbone » Logged

tbone

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:16:07 PM »

Chatham historical dockyard....brilliant, a whole day out in its self (although Mrs T got a bit bored  Grin)
A lifeboat museum, an old warship, a submarine and  a modern warship plus a whole host of extras to see.

tbone

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 10:19:46 PM »

tbone

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 10:27:47 PM »

A rare breeds centre, (sorry the name escapes me), at sandwich.
Only 2acres big, but well worth a visit if your in the area. Specializes in the more obscure species, including the only colony of red flying foxes,as well as the only singing dogs in the country.

tbone

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 10:30:27 PM »

Channel tunnel terminal at folkstone.

tbone

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:38:59 PM »

Although not in Kent, Battle, in Sussex, is the site of the battle of hastings (1066).  This photo marks the spot where Harold met his death, again, like canterbury, it instilled a sense of history and respect for what our ancestors went through.
The site itself is home to the ruins of an ancient abbey, built by William the conqueror to absolve him from the bloodshed of the invasion, again, its easy to spend a few hours here.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 10:51:05 PM »

Very informative TB. Nice pics. Shame about that muppet who kept getting in the way of your shots though. Must start collecting up all these "day out" posts & adding them to the main site -yeah, I know we've still got several tech articles of yours to add too. They're on our "to do" list, honest.
Just shows that this country's stuffed full of interesting places to travel to. All you've got to do is look for them.
Nice to have you back by the way.  Wink

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
voodoo

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 08:42:10 AM »

I grew up in Kent...and yep its a great place to have a holiday especially on a bike or trike...loads to see and do...Voodoo...

Custom Paint Spraying...
English by Birth..Biker by choice....
Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is optional....
panthershaun

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 11:40:33 AM »

blimey mate, you circled right around me by the looks of things  Shocked I'm in T Wells  Cheesy Cheesy

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
tbone

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 08:20:15 PM »

Always try and get to see as much as possible when we`re out n about and as many different things too, hence the diverce list above. I think like most of us, history lessons at school went in one ear n out t`other, guess i try n make up for that now  Grin.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 10:38:42 PM »

Know what you mean TB. School history lessons were just an endless list of meaningless dates & places. So much more interesting to actually see the places for yourself.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 05:14:39 PM »

one of the things I love about doing the Round Britain Rally is the places it takes you that you might never see otherwise, and one of the most memorable for me was in Kent.  It was the Battle of Britain Memorial at Capel-le-Ferne just outside Folkestone.
It's the most poignant memorial I've ever seen.  There's an area of paving shaped like a propellor and in the middle the statue of an airman looking out to sea waiting for his comrades to return - many of whom never did as we know.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 08:26:01 PM »

I've never heard of that one, but looks a beautiful spot.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: